Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:36:03 am

Author Topic: APPLYING FOR HECS (please help)  (Read 839 times)  Share 

turtlebanana

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +3
APPLYING FOR HECS (please help)
« on: December 20, 2019, 05:01:24 pm »
I am mid-way through the enrolment process for Monash University.

However, I am stuck at the HECS-HELP section and do not have a Tax File Number (TFN).

One problem is that apparently it takes 28 days to receive your TFN?

However, the other problem is that I am overseas and do not return home until mid-January (around the 16/17th of January).

I should have remembered that I needed my TFN for HECS. Also, the day I received my offer from Monash University was the day I left to catch my flight (not so ideal haha).

Is there anything I can do? I really do need the HECS-HELP and would feel very disappointed if I couldn’t do anything about it.

I have a relative at home but I do not know if he can do anything to help me get my TFN.

Thanks so much
2018: Business Management [44]

sweetcheeks

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +83
  • School: ---
  • School Grad Year: 2016
Re: APPLYING FOR HECS (please help)
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2019, 05:31:16 pm »
+3
I believe that you are required to provide your tax file number or a certificate stating that you've applied for your tax file number before the census date (last date where you can change enrolment for the semester). This date is usually late March for semester 1, so you have plenty of time to arrange things.

I found this guide to be helpful when I was applying for HECS: https://www.studyassist.gov.au/sites/studyassist/files/ed18-0137_hecs-help_booklet_acc.pdf

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +86
Re: APPLYING FOR HECS (please help)
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2019, 05:37:29 pm »
+3
Read this link explaining how to enrol at Monash without a TFN.

In short, you will need to indicate that you will pay upfront first. Then when you receive your TFN, update it on WES when you change it to deferred. You must ensure that you provide them your TFN before the due date and census date. This will allow you to at least select your units and accept your offer.

To prevent your account being blocked or your position at the uni cancelled (should there be delays in receiving your TFN to enter in before the dates), you can follow this link explaining how to provide Monash proof that you have applied for a TFN.

I recommend trying to get your TFN application ready to go so when you arrive back, you can print it and immediately get the Australia Post receipt and Application Summary documents to give to Monash. Bear in mind, the form is only valid for 30 days (i.e. you must visit a participating Australia Post within 30 days of completing the form), so try and match the timing on when you complete the form online.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 05:54:20 pm by www »
2017~2020 (Monash) | BA, BA(Hons)Psy
2021~ | job! - AN hiatus, it's been fun here (: