Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:04:20 am

Author Topic: UNSW General Chat  (Read 80133 times)  Share 

jasn9776

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +4
Re: UNSW General Chat
« Reply #75 on: December 21, 2018, 06:50:53 pm »
are we meant to enrol? i'm a bit hesitant to put in my tfn just yet, esp since i might consider going to usyd
HSC 2018: English Adv(88) | Bio (90) | Phys(85) | Software Design (87) | 3U Math (41)

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #76 on: December 21, 2018, 07:12:54 pm »
+2
I'm a bit lost with all this enrolment for classes. Do you just register classes for only Term 1 and do Term 2 and 3 later or do you register all your classes in one go?

Also, I've registered for 3 classes in Term 1 but when I checked my timetable again there's suddenly a clash between ENGG1000 and MATH1131 so I'm a bit confused -_-

Don't worry! We were all in the same boat -- enrolment is a huuuuge hassle and is so hard at first (trust me, I haven't gotten used to it). You have the choice to register your classes for all terms or you can do one at a time. It's up to you!

As for the timetable clash, try using CrossAngles. It's a timetable generator (ignore all the Bible study slots) so you just pop your subjects in and it'll create a timetable for you! It'll allow you to explore options that don't clash.

I hope this helps! :-)

are we meant to enrol? i'm a bit hesitant to put in my tfn just yet, esp since i might consider going to usyd

You don't have to if you don't want to! You can always enrol then withdraw -- the process differs across different unis but it's not too hard :-)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 07:15:13 pm by fantasticbeasts3 »
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #77 on: December 21, 2018, 07:31:29 pm »
Don't worry! We were all in the same boat -- enrolment is a huuuuge hassle and is so hard at first (trust me, I haven't gotten used to it). You have the choice to register your classes for all terms or you can do one at a time. It's up to you!
I'm confusing myself once again ;-; I was asking someone else and he said to register for all the classes for next year because it's new for this semester??

As for the timetable clash, try using CrossAngles. It's a timetable generator (ignore all the Bible study slots) so you just pop your subjects in and it'll create a timetable for you! It'll allow you to explore options that don't clash.
Should the timetable on CrossAngles appear the same on the myUNSW timetable? On CrossAngles, it says there are no clashes but there are few differences (I attached the two timetables).
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #78 on: December 21, 2018, 07:33:39 pm »
+4
I'm confusing myself once again ;-; I was asking someone else and he said to register for all the classes for next year because it's new for this semester??
Should the timetable on CrossAngles appear the same on the myUNSW timetable? On CrossAngles, it says there are no clashes but there are few differences (I attached the two timetables).
I'm not too sure what's going on here, but can you just try moving your ENGG and/or MATH classes around more? It's a bit hard to say without actually having your myUNSW in front of me to play around with (and I wouldn't advocate that either).

However, as for the whole trimesters debuckle, basically you register for the 8 courses you're doing across the year now, but you only do the timetabling for the courses in term 1.

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #79 on: December 21, 2018, 07:42:04 pm »
+4

It's a lot easier to explain in person lol but if you register term by term just make sure you do it before the enrolment end date :-) and yea it should be the same so that's really strange huh

I reckon just shift everything around until you don't have any more clashes :-) basically what Rui said ahaha
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies

emilyygeorgexx

• HSC LECTURER
  • ____________
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +113
« Reply #80 on: December 21, 2018, 07:50:39 pm »
How many courses should I be enrolling in per term?

My personalised website says 9, so I enrolled in 3 a term.

Is that too many?
HSC 2018 - (ATAR: 99.10)
English Advanced (90) | General Mathematics 2 (95) | Business Studies (98 - 6th in NSW) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (93) | Studies of Religion 1 (48)

2019: B Commerce/B Laws @ UNSW

FutureLawStudent

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #81 on: December 21, 2018, 07:54:25 pm »
+3

Is that too many?
You only need to enrol in 8 per year, but you are allowed to enrol in 9. Enrolling in 9 could potentially make your degree a fair bit quicker (especially for doubles), but it may just result in you being stuck waiting for a subject to come around in 5th year.

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #82 on: December 21, 2018, 07:58:15 pm »
+2

Is that too many?

Basically what FutureLawStudent said, but 9 courses should be fine :-) You can always drop them (make sure it's before the census date!) but 3 is pretty standard so don't worry too much :-)

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #83 on: December 21, 2018, 08:00:04 pm »
+6

Is that too many?
It counts as overloading technically speaking (basically relates to the above post). However the standard load is to do 3-3-2 (or alternatively 3-2-3 or 2-3-3.)

It's entirely up to you if you wish to fast track your degree.

Hey everyone! Following some behind the scenes discussion due to Olivia's concerns I felt like this is a point worth mentioning. At UNSW, some classes do not run every week. This could be due to a variety of reasons, ranging from public holidays, to "because your course authority felt there was no need to run it every week".

This might result in weird "clashes" appearing that aren't actually there. Basically, provided you've successfully enrolled into your classes, what you can then do next is go back to the main menu (i.e. back to My Student Profile). Go into "Class Timetable" (down the left).

Then, if you uncheck all but one of the boxes outlining the weeks, and then view, you will get your timetable for that week only. When you do this week by week, you should end up with no "clashes" appearing.

cthulu

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #84 on: December 28, 2018, 06:03:12 pm »
+1
snip

IIRC a friend had a similar problem, and the clashes are supposed to be there for the course you are doing. Someone on UNSW Discussion group on Facebook said:

"Engg1000 is meant to have clashes. Iirc its like a tute class once you split off into your chosen streams."
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 06:05:40 pm by cthulu »

jasnkapadia

• Fresh Poster
  • stay woke
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #85 on: March 24, 2019, 08:51:42 pm »
+4
Hey everyone! :) Just wanted to check in, how are you doing so far this term??

Starting to get a bit full with assignments and midterms myself lol  :P

Trimesters have been an interesting change compared to semesters, personally I've had more contact hours so I feel like I'm going to uni a lot more (also timetable is really crap) -- but in saying that, the term seems to be progressing a lot more "quickly" and I don't feel completely overwhelmed with the "covering 13 weeks of content in 10 weeks" idea.

Also, any thoughts for 19T2 now that the class timetable has been released?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 08:53:34 pm by jasnkapadia »

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #86 on: March 24, 2019, 09:12:04 pm »
+3

Trimesters have been an interesting change compared to semesters, personally I've had more contact hours so I feel like I'm going to uni a lot more (also timetable is really crap) -- but in saying that, the term seems to be progressing a lot more "quickly" and I don't feel completely overwhelmed with the "covering 13 weeks of content in 10 weeks" idea.

Not too bad actually! I feel like the workload has increased for me which is so strange because we're going from 4 subjects down to 3? The assignments are piling up for me as well, but after next week the rest of the term is pretty chill :-) I definitely feel the increased contact hours thing though, like I'm going to uni a lot more than I did semester 2 last year.

Really loving my Term 2 timetable!! I should only be going 3 days a week (if I get my preferred time slots!) compared to 4 this term and my earliest start is 11am which is awesome.

my timetable

How is everyone else going?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 11:56:16 pm by fantasticbeasts3 »

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #87 on: March 24, 2019, 09:19:12 pm »
+4

I feel like the workloads actually decreased a bit for me. Most of my assessments are towards the end of the term-so far I've only done 3. I definitely have a few more contact hours as well though.

I'm really annoyed with my term 2 timetable. I'm at uni for 4 (sometimes 5) days each week. I have a 5 1/2 hour break on Mondays (and a 6-8pm lecture), and then Wednesdays and Thursdays I only have classes for 1 1/2 hours.

My term 2 timetable

Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #88 on: March 24, 2019, 09:45:36 pm »
+3
Oh uni? Not much. Just thinking about how a course I thought was ok ended up having some ridiculously f***ed midterms and making me question my life.

T2 though - the absence of 9AMs is a complete blessing for me. I'll probably just go in 5 days a week. I wanna try to pick up 9 tutoring hours in total next term on top of this underload.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 09:50:24 pm by RuiAce »

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #89 on: March 24, 2019, 09:46:46 pm »
+2
I didn't realise T2 timetables were out!! Thanks for the heads up, mine is either great or crap depending on the classes I get ;D

I'm finding trimesters much, much more difficult personally ;D