Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:44:13 am

Author Topic: VCE Psychology Question Thread!  (Read 469769 times)  Share 

Globe

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +11
Re: VCE Psychology Question Thread!
« Reply #735 on: October 19, 2017, 08:38:13 pm »
What are we all saying for Cognitive aspects that are affected in an individual upon Partial and Total sleep deprivation?
2017: | Psychology [41->40] |
2018: | Business Management [46->45] | English [43] | Japanese SL [35->43] | Biology [39->40] | Methods [29->33] |
Atar: 96.55 :)

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #736 on: October 19, 2017, 09:00:30 pm »
What are we all saying for Cognitive aspects that are affected in an individual upon Partial and Total sleep deprivation?

I made a list of affective, cognitive, and behavioural changes die to sleep deprivation earlier in this thread which may be useful for you :)

jrose006

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #737 on: October 20, 2017, 08:43:28 am »
+2

Here’s a few:
- difficulty concentrating
- impaired memory
- difficulty problem solving/decision making

Ashjames

• Trendsetter
  • Life.is.short-incorrect-Its the longest thing ever
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #738 on: October 20, 2017, 05:56:33 pm »
Hey everyone, I was just wondering.

We did an experiment at school and it was about classical conditioning. So if was basically just 4 students who has 1 student each 4and we just tested them using Wizz fizz.

So what would be the experiential design, I'm confused.

zofromuxo

• Forum Leader
  • Everything you want is on the other side of Fear
  • Respect: +203
« Reply #739 on: October 20, 2017, 06:31:59 pm »
+1
Hey everyone, I was just wondering.

We did an experiment at school and it was about classical conditioning. So if was basically just 4 students who has 1 student each 4and we just tested them using Wizz fizz.

So what would be the experiential design, I'm confused.
Repeated measures? Since they all got exposed to the IV being the Wizz Fizz.
Jack of all trades, master of none.
Hence why i'm in all these different threads and boards.

peter.g15

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +29
« Reply #740 on: October 21, 2017, 12:24:18 pm »
+1
Hi guys, just some questions on TSSM 2013 MCQ.

Q2: Cooper is completing a timed English essay, During this task Cooper has thoughts about his party on the weekend, the next English task he has to complete and about 'schoolies week' at the end of the school year. Cooper's state of consciousness can be best described as?
a. Normal waking consciousness
b. altered state of consciousness
c. focused state of consciousness
d. selective state of consciousness
I answered B, since Cooper seems to be daydreaming, but the solutions say he is in normal waking consciousness? I thought daydreaming was an ASC, not a NWC.

Q22: The amygdala is involved with the processing of which type of memories?
a. Iconic
b. Short term
c. Long Term
d. Traumatic
I answered D, since it encodes emotional information in, but the solutions say C. I would have thought that this is correct, but not the most correct answer?

Q34: Which of the following best described long term potentiation?
a. Axon of the postsynpatic neuron is active while the presynaptic neuron is firing, the synapse is strengthened
b. Axon of the presynaptic neuron is active while the postsynaptic neuron is firing, the synapse is strengthened
c. Axon of the presynaptic neuron is active while the postsynaptic neuron is firing, the synapse is weakened
d. Axon of the postsynpatic neuron is active while the presynaptic neuron is firing, the synapse is weakened.
The answered A, since the presynaptic neuron fires while post synaptic neuron receives, but the solutions say it is B?

Q47: In operant conditioning, the stimulus comes ___ the response, whereas in classical conditioning it comes ___ the response
a. before, after
b. after, before
c. before, before
d. after, after
I answered C, since i always thought the antecedent was also considered the discriminative stimulus for which the behaviour occurs in response to? The solutions say it is B. Is the consequence considered the stimulus in operant conditioning, or is it both the antecedent and consequence, or just the antecedent?

Also relating to OC, is the response voluntary, or both voluntary and involuntary. I thought that the CC response is involuntary while the OC response is voluntary since you make a conscious decision to act in a way according to the consequence you receive.

TIA!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 12:33:32 pm by peter.g15 »
2019 - 23: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash University

Ashjames

• Trendsetter
« Reply #741 on: October 21, 2017, 12:37:53 pm »
Hi guys, just some questions on TSSM 2013.
Q2: Cooper is completing a timed English essay, During this task Cooper has thoughts about his party on the weekend, the next English task he has to complete and about 'schoolies week' at the end of the school year. Cooper's state of consciousness can be best described as?

Well it's definitely NOT an ASC, and I'll yell you why.

1. If he was in an ASC then he would not be able to focus on the English exam
2. If you recall, consciousness is described by William James as being ongoing, like a stream of water, and this is because our content of consciousness is constantly changing. This is why Cooper, although he is completing his English exam, is thinking about other things, such as 'schoolies week' and the
3. You need to be careful, questions like this have been on MC before, and the correct answer is ALWAYS NWC.
4. If you still need clarifications, please let me know. I don't know if you understood it, but it's pretty straight forward, because imagine if Cooper was in an ASC he would have lowered awareness and would not be able to concentrate [typical characteristics of an ASC]

Ashjames

• Trendsetter
« Reply #742 on: October 21, 2017, 12:46:18 pm »
Hi guys, just some questions on TSSM 2013 MCQ.

Q47: In operant conditioning, the stimulus comes ___ the response, whereas in classical conditioning it comes ___ the response
a. before, after
b. after, before
c. before, before
d. after, after
I answered C, since i always thought the antecedent was also considered the discriminative stimulus for which the behaviour occurs in response to? The solutions say it is B. Is the consequence considered the stimulus in operant conditioning, or is it both the antecedent and consequence, or just the antecedent?

Also relating to OC, is the response voluntary, or both voluntary and involuntary. I thought that the CC response is involuntary while the OC response is voluntary since you make a conscious decision to act in a way according to the consequence you receive.

TIA!

Now with this question, The 'stimulus' as I believe is referring to the type of reinforcement of punishment. Now obviously this comes after the behavior. For example if a child was throwing a tantrum and I positively reinforce him by giving him a lollipop, then the lollipop in this case is the 'stimulus'. So the presence or removal of a stimulus, always occurs AFTER the behavior.

With CC, You already answered it correctly, because your option said the stimulus comes BEFORE the behavior, which is correct, just think of Pavlovs experiment, the bell and meat powder came before the response of salivation [response]

Ashjames

• Trendsetter
« Reply #743 on: October 21, 2017, 12:51:41 pm »
Question 22 and 34 were a bit of a grey area. The amygdala I would also assume is involved in traumatic memories, but you need to keep in mind that these emotional memories are encoded so that they are stored as long-term memories. Which may be why option C is the corect answer.

Question 34, is really weird, I agree with the option you choose. That just makes so much more sense. can anyone lend a helping hand over here please????

peter.g15

• Trendsetter
« Reply #744 on: October 21, 2017, 12:54:52 pm »
Well it's definitely NOT an ASC, and I'll yell you why.

1. If he was in an ASC then he would not be able to focus on the English exam
2. If you recall, consciousness is described by William James as being ongoing, like a stream of water, and this is because our content of consciousness is constantly changing. This is why Cooper, although he is completing his English exam, is thinking about other things, such as 'schoolies week' and the
3. You need to be careful, questions like this have been on MC before, and the correct answer is ALWAYS NWC.
4. If you still need clarifications, please let me know. I don't know if you understood it, but it's pretty straight forward, because imagine if Cooper was in an ASC he would have lowered awareness and would not be able to concentrate [typical characteristics of an ASC]

Oh okay, that makes sense. How would you differentiate between a daydream being an ASC where they cannot focus, lower attention etc. and just a NWC as you described?
2019 - 23: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash University

peter.g15

• Trendsetter
« Reply #745 on: October 21, 2017, 12:56:16 pm »

Now with this question, The 'stimulus' as I believe is referring to the type of reinforcement of punishment. Now obviously this comes after the behavior. For example if a child was throwing a tantrum and I positively reinforce him by giving him a lollipop, then the lollipop in this case is the 'stimulus'. So the presence or removal of a stimulus, always occurs AFTER the behavior.

With CC, You already answered it correctly, because your option said the stimulus comes BEFORE the behavior, which is correct, just think of Pavlovs experiment, the bell and meat powder came before the response of salivation [response]

Thanks! So would you say to 'ignore' the antecedent as a stimulus?

jrose006

• Trailblazer
« Reply #746 on: October 21, 2017, 01:04:14 pm »
+1
Thanks! So would you say to 'ignore' the antecedent as a stimulus?

Yes- think of it (the 'stimulus' that comes after the behaviour in OC) as the stimulus that determines whether the behaviour will be repeated again in the future. So yes, when talking about whether the stimulus comes before or after the behaviour in OC, were talking about the 'consequence' (after) stimulus, NOT the antecedent stimulus (you can 'ignore it' in this case) :)

Hope that made sense

peter.g15

• Trendsetter
« Reply #747 on: October 21, 2017, 01:04:50 pm »
Question 22 and 34 were a bit of a grey area. The amygdala I would also assume is involved in traumatic memories, but you need to keep in mind that these emotional memories are encoded so that they are stored as long-term memories. Which may be why option C is the corect answer.

Question 34, is really weird, I agree with the option you choose. That just makes so much more sense. can anyone lend a helping hand over here please????

Yeah, I understand how they are encoded as LTM, making both C and D correct. But I would have thought that D is the 'better answer'. Thanks!

jrose006

• Trailblazer
« Reply #748 on: October 21, 2017, 01:06:41 pm »
+2
Yeah, I understand how they are encoded as LTM, making both C and D correct. But I would have thought that D is the 'better answer'. Thanks!

I would say that C is the better answer because the amygdala is involved in encoding all emotional long-term memories (doesn't have to be traumatic), so that is why C is the better answer

Ashjames

• Trendsetter
« Reply #749 on: October 21, 2017, 01:09:04 pm »
+2
Oh okay, that makes sense. How would you differentiate between a daydream being an ASC where they cannot focus, lower attention etc. and just a NWC as you described?

Good question. With the practice exams I have been doing [from VCAA] they would make the distinction clear-cut. If Cooper was in an ASC they would say that he is not focusing on his exam, or they would ACTUALLY say that he is daydreaming about the next English exam or the 'schoolies week'. Now you need to realize that the fact the Cooper is actually doing his exam, is indicative of a NWC because if he was daydreaming, he would only be thinking about his internal thoughts[ such as his next English exam] and he would not be able to focus on his external environment- which in this scenario is he English exam] If the question said that he was not completing his exam because he was thinking about other things [internal thoughts] , then that would be an ASC. I'll try and find the MC questions that are similar to this one so that you can practice on them. However, this would be deemed a trick question, because a large proportion would have chosen ASC like you.

feel free to ask more questions for clarifications! The more you know, the better.