Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:18:37 am

Author Topic: VCE Psychology Question Thread!  (Read 469803 times)  Share 

madhu04

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: VCE Psychology Question Thread!
« Reply #495 on: July 08, 2017, 09:11:49 pm »
Yes you're in the right place. Welcome to AN. I'm a bit rusty on psychology so correct me if i'm wrong also these aren't the best examples for question 1 but it would be something like:
1. 2 physiological differences between NWC and ASC is that in NWC there is an increased heart rate and higher body temperature than when in an ASC. (explain)
2. The increased body temperature could be due to a high air temperature.

Thank You so much for replying. Based on your suggestion I got some hint and was able to come with an answer. However I referred some other resources and came to know that in NWC an individual would fairly have steady or normal heart rate and body temperature whereas in ASC an individual Heart rate and Body temperature may increase or decrease depending on the type of ASC an individual is in. ex: Sleep-low Body temperature/Heart rate whereas in drug induced- high body temperature and heart rate.

But indeed really helped me with second question because I was like what?? I HAVE NO IDEA!  :P

Anyway thank you so much again  :) ;D

howey

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +77
« Reply #496 on: July 09, 2017, 10:26:40 am »
+2
1.Difference between synaptogenesis and circuit formation and neurogenesis?

Hi raaginim, and welcome to AN! Sorry for the delay in answering - it's been a pretty hectic week with lectures and what-not :)

To be honest, I don't know the difference between these - what I can assure you is that you don't need to know them for VCE Psych (unless your teacher is being really nasty in SAC's - you certainly don't need too for the exam). If anyone else does know the difference feel free to jump in and explain, but I'm not sure - the only knowledge I have here is that synaptogenesis is the forming of synapses early in life.

2. Stimulus discrimination and response discrimination same thing or different?

Again, I haven't heard of response discrimination, but it certainly sounds like the same thing as stimulus discrimination, which is when a person/animal only responds to a specific stimulus that they were conditioned to respond to. 'Stimulus discrimination' is the term that VCAA will use, not response discrimination.

3. Are LTP and LTD adaptive plasticity or developmental plasticity?

Personally, I would say developmental plasticity - although again this is outside of the study design and therefore not examinable. For the current study design, both LTP and LTD are considered synaptic plasticity, and developmental and adaptive plasticity don't appear in Unit 3/4.

4. Do we need to know about the consolidation theory? On the forum on ATAR notes it days it is removed from this years study design but in out textbook (oxford) there is information on it.

Not specifically about consolidation theory , although you do need to know about 'the role of adrenaline in the consolidation of emotionally arousing experiences', according to the study design.

I hope this helps! :)

« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 11:55:45 am by howey »

"It's hard to beat a person who never gives up" - Babe Ruth

amigos

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #497 on: July 10, 2017, 03:16:42 pm »
Is there any difference between 'afferent pathway' and 'sensory pathway'? If there's none, which one should I use?

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #498 on: July 10, 2017, 03:32:26 pm »
+3
Is there any difference between 'afferent pathway' and 'sensory pathway'? If there's none, which one should I use?

In regards to neurons "afferent" means "Heading towards the CNS", so this term can be used in regards to sensory information, and is the one the one that I would recommend. In my experience people treat "afferent" as being a "more advanced" term

howey

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #499 on: July 10, 2017, 05:40:05 pm »
+4

As miniturtle said above, 'afferent' simply means heading towards the CNS, and sensory pathways head towards the CNS - so for VCE Psych they're basically interchangeable. You can use either, but I would recommend 'afferent neuron/pathway', as it sounds smarter ;)

madhu04

• Adventurer
« Reply #500 on: July 10, 2017, 05:54:23 pm »
+1
Which answer is better for this question?   :-[ or any other suggestion if both don't cover all points required to get full marks?

Neural communication is essential for coordinating every thought and action. Provide a detailed description of how two neurons communicate by transmitting and receiving information.  (3 marks)

Answer 1:  Action potential results in terminal button on the axon terminal of the presynaptic neuron to release a chemicals called neurotransmitter into the synapse. The neurotransmitter is then received by the dendrite of the post-synaptic neuron.

Answer 2: Communication between the neuron begins with information being transmitted from synapse to the dendrites in the post-synaptic neuron. This information in the form of electrical impulse is then passed through soma and along the axon. This information in the electrical impulse is then passed through soma and along the axon. A neurotransmitter is secreted from terminal buttons to the synapse and is then received by the dendrite of the post-synaptic neuron.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 05:57:10 pm by madhu04 »

howey

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #501 on: July 10, 2017, 07:29:43 pm »
+2
Which answer is better for this question?   :-[ or any other suggestion if both don't cover all points required to get full marks?

Neural communication is essential for coordinating every thought and action. Provide a detailed description of how two neurons communicate by transmitting and receiving information.  (3 marks)

Answer 1:  Action potential results in terminal button on the axon terminal of the presynaptic neuron to release a chemicals called neurotransmitter into the synapse. The neurotransmitter is then received by the dendrite of the post-synaptic neuron.

Answer 2: Communication between the neuron begins with information being transmitted from synapse to the dendrites in the post-synaptic neuron. This information in the form of electrical impulse is then passed through soma and along the axon. This information in the electrical impulse is then passed through soma and along the axon. A neurotransmitter is secreted from terminal buttons to the synapse and is then received by the dendrite of the post-synaptic neuron.

Hi madhu04,

Personally, I like number 2 better - although I would probably change it a little bit so it reads something like this:

Communication between two neurons occurs at the synapse. Neurotransmitters are released from the terminal buttons of the pre-synaptic neuron, travel across the synaptic gap, and attach to receptors on the dendrites of the post-synaptic neuron. These neurotransmitters then have an effect (either excitatory or inhibitory) on the post-synaptic neuron. This message, or effect, may then spread to the next neuron through neurotransmitters, and so on.

Sorry, I basically rewrote the whole thing, my bad ;)

Novashock

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • someone save me
« Reply #502 on: July 12, 2017, 12:23:37 am »
Hey guys!
So idk if this question is really psych related but for those that have previously done psych, do you reckon it's better to do questions from the jacaranda text book or from checkpoints and things such as that? Idk i guess its because i find questions from checkpoints much clearer than those from the textbook, and so I was curious. Also, and these are more psych related, but
1. Explain whether sleep cycles and sleep episodes may occur voluntarily, involuntary or both.
2. Explain whether a hypnogogic state is an ASC distinguishable from sleep or dreaming.
Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 12:38:18 am by Novashock »
2017 | Psychology
2018 | English, Methods,  HHD, Biology, Chemistry
2019 | BBiomedSc @ Monash University
2022 | MD @ Deakin University

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #503 on: July 12, 2017, 03:43:20 pm »
+1
Hey guys!
So idk if this question is really psych related but for those that have previously done psych, do you reckon it's better to do questions from the jacaranda text book or from checkpoints and things such as that? Idk i guess its because i find questions from checkpoints much clearer than those from the textbook, and so I was curious. Also, and these are more psych related, but
1. Explain whether sleep cycles and sleep episodes may occur voluntarily, involuntary or both.
2. Explain whether a hypnogogic state is an ASC distinguishable from sleep or dreaming.
Thanks!

I think that checkpoints is better, for a few reasons:
a) This is the style VCAA presents questions in
b) You will learn how VCAA likes answers to be given
c) You may not always know what exact topic is being tested
However, you also need to ensure that you are adequately covering aspects of the course which are new to the study design.

1. (I'm not 100% confident that this is the correct wording)   Sleep can occur involuntarily, especially when sleep deprived such as when a driver enters a micro-sleep. A person can choose to engage in behaviours which increase the chance of them falling asleep, but this does not guarantee that sleep will occur.

2. Again, not 100% what the answer they want is but here's my take on it:
In a hypnogogic state a person experiences perceptual distortions and may have no muscular control yet remain aware of their surroundings. Awareness of the surrounding environment does not occur during sleep and dreaming, which separates this from those states. The presence of perceptual distortions indicates that this is an ASC.

syubi

• Trailblazer
« Reply #504 on: July 14, 2017, 05:06:40 pm »
Does anybody know if there's answers available for the 2017 sample exam from VCAA?

I'm confused about Question 7 d ii. where it asks how the standard deviation suggest about the encoding in STM. I understand that SD is how far the scores vary from the mean, but unsure how to word/relate that to the encoding part.
And also question e ii. where it asks to use relevant psychological concepts. Would the answer be something similar to semantic encoding??

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #505 on: July 14, 2017, 05:51:07 pm »
+2
Does anybody know if there's answers available for the 2017 sample exam from VCAA?

I'm confused about Question 7 d ii. where it asks how the standard deviation suggest about the encoding in STM. I understand that SD is how far the scores vary from the mean, but unsure how to word/relate that to the encoding part.
And also question e ii. where it asks to use relevant psychological concepts. Would the answer be something similar to semantic encoding??
VCAA doesn't supply answers for the sample exam, so there is no official answer.

d) ii) That ability to encode words into short-term memory varies between individuals

e) ii) I would link this to elaborative rehearsal

littledreamer

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #506 on: July 16, 2017, 10:16:00 am »
+1
Hey guys I just wanted to ask if its worth learning the saving score formula? I've seen questions pop up in checkpoints and a TSSM paper but I wasn't taught it in class, what do you guys think? did your teachers teach you the formula? Thanks :)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #507 on: July 16, 2017, 10:19:27 am »
+1
Hey guys I just wanted to ask if its worth learning the saving score formula? I've seen questions pop up in checkpoints and a TSSM paper but I wasn't taught it in class, what do you guys think? did your teachers teach you the formula? Thanks :)

I think it's worth it; it shouldn't take very long. :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

amigos

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #508 on: July 16, 2017, 10:23:34 am »

Yup! We were taught it at our school and it popped up on our SAC. Just know the formula and what the score represents.

howey

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #509 on: July 16, 2017, 12:00:54 pm »
+1
Yup! We were taught it at our school and it popped up on our SAC. Just know the formula and what the score represents.

I second this - it's important to know what the score actually represents - which is the amount of info remembered from the first learning experience. So many students learn the formula but don't actually know what it means... definitely worth knowing, although personally I doubt it would come up on an exam.