Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:23:22 pm

Author Topic: VCE Psychology Question Thread!  (Read 469639 times)  Share 

Mariamnourine

• Forum Regular
  • Be a voice, not an Echo
  • Respect: +13
Re: VCE Psychology Question Thread!
« Reply #450 on: June 08, 2017, 04:23:06 pm »
Hey psych buddies!!!

I have 2 questions:
- To type notes or not to type notes? ( which is more effective, handwritten or typed?)

- Should I go to a psych lecture? Is it necessary? Are they effective? If so, which company do you most recommend to attend to? (Sorry, that was like 4 questions!)
2017: TT, Psychology, Further, English, BusMan

2018 : Nursing [Clinical leadership] /midwifery @ Deakin

You can't always win, but don't be afraid to fail.

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #451 on: June 08, 2017, 04:25:59 pm »
Hey psych buddies!!!

I have 2 questions:
- To type notes or not to type notes? ( which is more effective, handwritten or typed?)

- Should I go to a psych lecture? Is it necessary? Are they effective? If so, which company do you most recommend to attend to? (Sorry, that was like 4 questions!)

Regarding notes: I personally much prefer handwritten, but this is a personal preference. I found that the information sunk in more easily (especially compared to when I tried to type notes for a couple of weeks at uni). :)

Regarding lectures: why not ATAR Notes? 8) They're free, super high quality - and the Psych lecture will be taken by none other than howey! That is, the absolute legend who made this thread. ;D So you know you'll be in good hands! If you like, I can post the link to registrations here as soon as it becomes available. :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Mariamnourine

• Forum Regular
« Reply #452 on: June 08, 2017, 04:27:28 pm »
And one more question:

Are ATARNOTES going to be holding any lectures in the future at RMIT? I totally missed the first ones!  :'( :'( :'(

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #453 on: June 08, 2017, 04:28:37 pm »
And one more question:

Are ATARNOTES going to be holding any lectures in the future at RMIT? I totally missed the first ones!  :'( :'( :'(

You bet. ;D See above post - the Psych one will be taken by howey!

I'll post the link here as soon as it's available. ;)

Mariamnourine

• Forum Regular
« Reply #454 on: June 08, 2017, 04:51:16 pm »
+1
You bet. ;D See above post - the Psych one will be taken by howey!

I'll post the link here as soon as it's available. ;)

Oh of course, Howey has helped a lot with psych on the forums! So I wouldn't miss any lecture that he does!!!!!!!!!!!!

And yes, I'll definitely attend the ATAR notes lectures (now that I realized it's a pretty good idea) so please link it here if you can!!! ( DW if you forget, I'll keep my open for it anyway)

And what other subjects does ATAR notes offer? (specifically, do you offer business management?)

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #455 on: June 08, 2017, 06:46:54 pm »

forbiddensoulxx

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #456 on: June 10, 2017, 02:10:53 pm »
+1
Hey guys, just got a question regarding operationalising variables. So, the experiment we're doing is basically the serial position effect, with there being a control group who has immediate recall of a word list. The experimental group has a delayed recall by 50 seconds where they have to do something in that time, then recall the words. So, how would I go about operationalising the IV and DV, as I am quite confused.
VCE
Spoiler
2017: Psychology [45]
2018: Economics [50] Legal Studies [42] Methods [37] Accounting [46] English Language [36]
ATAR: 98.4
Open to tutoring and selling notes for some of these subjects, PM me for more details!

Uni
Spoiler
Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Bachelor of Commerce @ Monash

lovelyperson

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #457 on: June 10, 2017, 02:32:44 pm »
+1
Hey guys, just got a question regarding operationalising variables. So, the experiment we're doing is basically the serial position effect, with there being a control group who has immediate recall of a word list. The experimental group has a delayed recall by 50 seconds where they have to do something in that time, then recall the words. So, how would I go about operationalising the IV and DV, as I am quite confused.

When asked to operationalise variables, ask yourself "how would I measure this?" So for in your case, ask yourself: "how would I measure the delayed 50 seconds?", and "how would I measure how many words from the list have been recalled?" You'll then plonk the answers to these questions into your variables, then boom! operationalised.

forbiddensoulxx

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #458 on: June 10, 2017, 03:01:47 pm »
When asked to operationalise variables, ask yourself "how would I measure this?" So for in your case, ask yourself: "how would I measure the delayed 50 seconds?", and "how would I measure how many words from the list have been recalled?" You'll then plonk the answers to these questions into your variables, then boom! operationalised.
Thanks for that! We are also measuring the position of the words recalled (start, middle, end), so how does one operationalise that?
VCE
Spoiler
2018: Economics [50] Legal Studies [42] Methods [37] Accounting [46] English Language [36]
Open to tutoring and selling notes for some of these subjects, PM me for more details!

Uni
Spoiler

lovelyperson

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #459 on: June 10, 2017, 04:17:56 pm »
Thanks for that! We are also measuring the position of the words recalled (start, middle, end), so how does one operationalise that?

Talk about how'll the words are going to be presented to participants; will it be done verbally, on a piece of paper, or in another way?

forbiddensoulxx

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #460 on: June 10, 2017, 05:27:24 pm »
Talk about how'll the words are going to be presented to participants; will it be done verbally, on a piece of paper, or in another way?
Ermmm, I mean the DV. We are trying to get the serial position effect to occur, and we're measuring the position of the words recalled (start, middle or end), so how would I operationalise the DV?
VCE
Spoiler

Uni
Spoiler

howey

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +77
« Reply #461 on: June 11, 2017, 10:28:04 am »
+3
Ermmm, I mean the DV. We are trying to get the serial position effect to occur, and we're measuring the position of the words recalled (start, middle or end), so how would I operationalise the DV?

I think your operationalised DV would simply be something like "The percentage of participants who correctly write down the word presented in the list". I'm assuming that participants are writing down their answers - if the are saying them verbally then you would need to change this.

In a way, you sort of have a couple of independent variables:
1. The position of the word in the list
2. Whether or not there is a delay after the presentation of the list

I'm assuming you're probably going with the second IV, as that is the major focus of the experiment.

This is a bit of a tricky one purely due to wording, I agree. I hope I haven't confused you more!

"It's hard to beat a person who never gives up" - Babe Ruth

Novashock

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • someone save me
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #462 on: June 11, 2017, 01:10:57 pm »
Hey guys its me again xD
So when you're writing an investigation report, what is the difference between summary of results and the discussion? are they basically the same thing? Or are there some differences i'm missing?
Thanks !!!
2017 | Psychology
2018 | English, Methods,  HHD, Biology, Chemistry
2019 | BBiomedSc @ Monash University
2022 | MD @ Deakin University

howey

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +77
« Reply #463 on: June 11, 2017, 02:09:21 pm »
+1
Hey guys its me again xD
So when you're writing an investigation report, what is the difference between summary of results and the discussion? are they basically the same thing? Or are there some differences i'm missing?
Thanks !!!

G'day again!

There is a little bit of a difference.

A summary of results is where you put the results of the experiment. For example, you'll include any data in the form of tables, graphs, charts etc. This section may include a small piece of writing that summarise the results - but only summarise! For example, you might say '90% of participants remembered the last word that was presented to them'. However, you would not say why - that is for the discussion.

The discussion is usually a much larger part of the report. In the discussion, you examine the results and explain why the results occurred (e.g. for the example above, because of the recency effect, still in short-term memory etc.). It usually starts with a statement on whether the hypothesis is supported or rejected. You also note any extraneous variables or errors that occurred during the experiment and whether you can generalise the results to the wider population (which depends on your sample, population and method). The discussion section often ends with a brief conclusion.

I hope that helps! :)

"It's hard to beat a person who never gives up" - Babe Ruth

Novashock

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • someone save me
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #464 on: June 11, 2017, 02:21:32 pm »
Thanks Howey!!! Just one more question (for now hehe) what do we write in a conclusion? Like what's different between that and the discussion?
2017 | Psychology
2018 | English, Methods,  HHD, Biology, Chemistry
2019 | BBiomedSc @ Monash University
2022 | MD @ Deakin University