Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:52:57 pm

Author Topic: VCE Psychology Question Thread!  (Read 469657 times)  Share 

qwertyu1234567

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: abc
  • School Grad Year: 2016
Re: VCE Psychology Question Thread!
« Reply #390 on: October 26, 2016, 04:24:36 pm »
Hi! Any tips for completing the extended response section when it is pretty much a "create your own"??
Thanks heaps

Yeah I've been wondering this too, assuming that you mean "create your own procedure/experiment" type questions...
Also, does anyone have any tips to receiving marks at the higher end for section C?
My teacher said that you would have to go beyond the dot-points listed so I'm just wondering what everyone else has heard

HasibA

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #391 on: October 26, 2016, 05:05:23 pm »
do we have to know about naturalistic observation, controlled observation and clinical observation?
Uni and life

qwertyu1234567

• Trailblazer
« Reply #392 on: October 26, 2016, 06:35:43 pm »
do we have to know about naturalistic observation, controlled observation and clinical observation?

I doubt it since its not explicitly stated on the study design, but i guess it doesn't hurt

Glasses

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Disclaimer: I wear contact lenses now.
  • Respect: +186
« Reply #393 on: October 26, 2016, 06:41:48 pm »

I don't even remember coming across those terms last year, haha.

I'd forget about them :)
2015 - 2016 (VCE): Psychology, Religion & Society, Legal Studies, Business Management, Literature and English
2017 - Present: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Arts (Criminology & Psychology) @ Monash University

Aug 2016 - Sep 2018: VIC State Moderator

FatimaEl

• Forum Regular
  • 💕📒✏️💕
« Reply #394 on: October 26, 2016, 06:46:00 pm »
We learnt about that in unit 1&2 but not 3&4 so i'd say no.

Hi! Any tips for completing the extended response section when it is pretty much a "create your own"??
Thanks heaps
Currently im reading the examination reports to help me out as theres tips in there:
http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/Documents/exams/psychology/2013/psych_examrep13.pdf
http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/Documents/exams/psychology/2014/psychology_examrep14.pdf
http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/Documents/exams/psychology/2015/psych_examrep15.pdf
2015: Further Mathematics
2016: English | Biology | Psychology | Health & Human Dev. | Text & Traditions
"verily with the hardship there is relief" – Quran 94:6

qwertyu1234567

• Trailblazer
« Reply #395 on: October 26, 2016, 07:23:25 pm »
Is sprouting the same as saying "dendrites become bushier"??

Pineapple66

• Adventurer
« Reply #396 on: October 26, 2016, 08:50:06 pm »

yup!

THIS QUESTION:
Which of the following is an example of allostasis?
C. an increase in the rate of respiration in anticipation of exercise
D. a decrease in heart rate in response to increased blood pressure

someone mind explaining this? esp since i though allostasis was the achievement of stability through change

MB_

• MOTM: MAR 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Unspecified and mysterious
  • Respect: +60
« Reply #397 on: October 26, 2016, 08:57:51 pm »

Sprouting does involve dendrites becoming bushier but more specifically it is the growth of new bushier nerve fibres with more branches to make new connections.
2015-16: VCE
2017-: BSci UoM - Maths & Psych

deejay9

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #398 on: October 26, 2016, 09:08:28 pm »
yup!

THIS QUESTION:
Which of the following is an example of allostasis?
C. an increase in the rate of respiration in anticipation of exercise
D. a decrease in heart rate in response to increased blood pressure

someone mind explaining this? esp since i though allostasis was the achievement of stability through change

A decrease in heart rate would be homeostasis, since homeostasis involves changing the body's internal environment by keeping certain bodily conditions constant. Heart rate is generally steady, so when it becomes accelerated homeostasis would operate to ensure that it goes back to a normal rhythm. Also, allostasis involves the body adjusting and changing its physiological state to meet internal and external demands. The question says "in anticipation of exercise", so the body's allostatic systems increase the respiration rate as it knows it will soon encounter external demands in the form of physical exercise. Therefore the answer is C.
2015: Legal Studies [46]
2016: English [44] | Psych [43] | Revolutions [48] | Further [46] | Methods [35]
ATAR: 99.0

HasibA

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #399 on: October 26, 2016, 09:43:27 pm »
anyone help me out w/ a nice definition of 'sensitivity' with regards to recall, recognition, relearning etc.
Uni and life

Pineapple66

• Adventurer
« Reply #400 on: October 26, 2016, 10:17:50 pm »
A decrease in heart rate would be homeostasis, since homeostasis involves changing the body's internal environment by keeping certain bodily conditions constant. Heart rate is generally steady, so when it becomes accelerated homeostasis would operate to ensure that it goes back to a normal rhythm. Also, allostasis involves the body adjusting and changing its physiological state to meet internal and external demands. The question says "in anticipation of exercise", so the body's allostatic systems increase the respiration rate as it knows it will soon encounter external demands in the form of physical exercise. Therefore the answer is C.

thank you!!! makes a lot more sense :)

anyone help me out w/ a nice definition of 'sensitivity' with regards to recall, recognition, relearning etc.

^ same, been trying to look for something for that.. so far all I got is "Sensitivity essentially refers to how effective each method is in retrieving information." or "A more sensitive measure will register the memory is present if only a small amount of it remains. A less sensitive measure will only register the memory is present when a large proportion is present."

With Ebbinghaus' forgetting curve, does how you encoded it (eg. elaborative rehearsal) and level of processing have any effect on the rate of forgetting? or is it always the same?

Cheers!
oh and good luck to everyone!:)

FatimaEl

• Forum Regular
  • 💕📒✏️💕
« Reply #401 on: October 26, 2016, 10:39:15 pm »
^ same, been trying to look for something for that.. so far all I got is "Sensitivity essentially refers to how effective each method is in retrieving information." or "A more sensitive measure will register the memory is present if only a small amount of it remains. A less sensitive measure will only register the memory is present when a large proportion is present."
I define sensitivity the way my book does, which is
"sensitivity of a measure of retention refers to its ability to access the amount of information that has been stored in memory"

With Ebbinghaus' forgetting curve, does how you encoded it (eg. elaborative rehearsal) and level of processing have any effect on the rate of forgetting? or is it always the same?

yes, rate of forgetting, in regards to Ebbinghaus' forgetting curve, is influenced by
  • how meaningful the information is, the more meaningful the info, the slower the rate of forgetting
  • how well the info was initially encoded, the better the intial learning, the longer the material is likely to be retained
2015: Further Mathematics
2016: English | Biology | Psychology | Health & Human Dev. | Text & Traditions
"verily with the hardship there is relief" – Quran 94:6

minerva

• Trailblazer
« Reply #402 on: December 12, 2016, 08:02:08 am »
I just got my study scores. 39 raw for psych. I got 88/100 for Unit 3 Sacs and my results say I got B for GA1??????!!?? Disappointed because I got A+ on the exam and no 40  :'(
2016: Further | Psychology
2017: English | Methods | Biology | Chemistry

EdwinaB19

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #403 on: January 02, 2017, 05:12:08 pm »
Hi,
I'm picking up psych as a 3/4 in 2017 and did bio 3/4 last year.

Does psych require the same level of interpretation and application as bio does?
Should I approach psych in a similar way as people generally approach bio?

Thanks!
2016: Biology [37]

2017: Health & Human Development [45], Psychology [44], Further Mathematics [43], English [39]

2018-2023: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Bachelor of Science @ Monash

nt2387

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #404 on: January 02, 2017, 06:24:54 pm »
Hi,
I'm picking up psych as a 3/4 in 2017 and did bio 3/4 last year.

Does psych require the same level of interpretation and application as bio does?
Should I approach psych in a similar way as people generally approach bio?

Thanks!

I can't comment on Psychology's similarities to Bio but I will say that there has been a push in recent years to increase the number of 'application' questions in Psychology. I believe VCAA are shifting away from exams which are dominated by 'lower order thinking' questions which require a simple rote learned answer. Instead, you'll find that the questions they ask you are often accompanied by detailed scenarios, requiring you to reference the scenario in your response in order to attain full marks.

That being said, I found that the application questions weren't that difficult because half of your response will contain the familiar theory to back up the response.

I would approach Psychology by creating a detailed set of theory notes. There are bound to be simplistic questions in your exam and SACS and you want to ensure that you pick up all those marks. I would get a copy of Checkpoints and practice the more difficult application questions which separate the state throughout the year. After a while these will become second nature.

I'll also advise you to spend a good amount of time learning the Research Methods part of the course ( I am not 100% sure if it is in the new study design). The state average for the 10 marker question is usually around 3 or 4, so it's an opportunity for you to completely separate yourself from the competition and gives you breathing room if you find some of the SA questions more challenging than usual.

Good Luck!
2015: Accounting 49 | Sociology 44

2016: Psychology 49 | English 45 | Chemistry 45 | Methods 41     ATAR: 99.55

TUTORING 2017 - PM if interested!