Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:13:48 am

Author Topic: VCE Psychology Question Thread!  (Read 469779 times)  Share 

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
Re: VCE Psychology Question Thread!
« Reply #285 on: July 15, 2016, 12:01:23 pm »
Offtopic i know and not even in VIC but.. (open at your own risk  ;))

Spoiler
i want to study psychology when i graduate this year at uni. You may or may not be aware that nsw does not have anything like vce psych units 3&4, but i was wondering if it would come in handy to look at notes/exams here and is this how psych is at uni? Anyone do psychology at uni? Im not sure who can help me but if you can thats great.

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #286 on: July 15, 2016, 03:14:36 pm »
Offtopic i know and not even in VIC but.. (open at your own risk  ;))

Spoiler
i want to study psychology when i graduate this year at uni. You may or may not be aware that nsw does not have anything like vce psych units 3&4, but i was wondering if it would come in handy to look at notes/exams here and is this how psych is at uni? Anyone do psychology at uni? Im not sure who can help me but if you can thats great.

Hey there. :)

It surely can't hurt to have a glance over the notes! I can only speak for Psych at Monash, but first year Psych (uni) is quite similar to 3/4 Psych (VCE). It gets deeper after that, but I only did the first year sequence.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
« Reply #287 on: July 15, 2016, 03:18:16 pm »
Hey there. :)

It surely can't hurt to have a glance over the notes! I can only speak for Psych at Monash, but first year Psych (uni) is quite similar to 3/4 Psych (VCE). It gets deeper after that, but I only did the first year sequence.

Thanks so much for that! Would it also be beneficial for me to look over 3/4 psych exams and see what i can do after looking at the notes or would that be expecting too much of me? :D

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #288 on: July 15, 2016, 03:49:52 pm »
Thanks so much for that! Would it also be beneficial for me to look over 3/4 psych exams and see what i can do after looking at the notes or would that be expecting too much of me? :D

I don't think that's necessary. The notes should sufficiently give you an idea of what's covered. I'd focus on HSC, if I were you. :)

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
« Reply #289 on: July 15, 2016, 03:54:02 pm »
Ok im not really familiar with VIC standards.. Is HSC unit 4? Or is it Psych HSC? Because in nsw we have prelim and hsc not unit 3/4

Thanks again 👍🏼👍🏼

JG97

• Trailblazer
  • It's a weird world out there, Morty.
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #290 on: July 16, 2016, 07:27:56 pm »
What does an annotated folio involve, exactly, apart from annotating stuff? I've got one on Monday, and I have no clue what I should expect.
Cheers.
-Jonathan

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #291 on: July 16, 2016, 07:33:23 pm »
+1
What does an annotated folio involve, exactly, apart from annotating stuff? I've got one on Monday, and I have no clue what I should expect.
Cheers.
-Jonathan

Hi JG97!
An annotated folio usually involves answering questions about the experiment and/or the sampling method/procedures and ethics associated. :)
(Based off what I did last year.)
(Someone doing 3/4 currently should correct me if I'm wrong. :)
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

JG97

• Trailblazer
  • It's a weird world out there, Morty.
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #292 on: July 16, 2016, 07:37:38 pm »
Hi JG97!
An annotated folio usually involves answering questions about the experiment and/or the sampling method/procedures and ethics associated. :)
(Based off what I did last year.)
(Someone doing 3/4 currently should correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Cheers. :)

HasibA

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #293 on: July 18, 2016, 09:48:38 pm »
what is the function of adrenaline as a hormone (if we have to know this)? what about function of cortisol (disregard if not necessary)
do we have to know about how the adrenal glands secrete adrenaline, the adrenal cortex secretes cortisol etc. basically what secretes what (if that makes sense xD) ?
do we have to know about allostatic overload, allostatic load, allostatic dysfunction etc.?
how much do we have to know about biofeedback, meditation/relaxation, physical exercise,social support etc.
do i have to remember about which type of excercise is more beneficial for reducing stress/ how exactly exercise reduces stress via what happens biologically with hormones etc.
thankss guys <3
Uni and life

scarletmoon

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #294 on: July 20, 2016, 11:32:08 am »
what is the function of adrenaline as a hormone (if we have to know this)? what about function of cortisol (disregard if not necessary)
do we have to know about how the adrenal glands secrete adrenaline, the adrenal cortex secretes cortisol etc. basically what secretes what (if that makes sense xD) ?
do we have to know about allostatic overload, allostatic load, allostatic dysfunction etc.?
how much do we have to know about biofeedback, meditation/relaxation, physical exercise,social support etc.
do i have to remember about which type of excercise is more beneficial for reducing stress/ how exactly exercise reduces stress via what happens biologically with hormones etc.
thankss guys <3
1. Yes
2. Yes there were questions on this on last year's exam
3. Yes. There were short answer questions on this last year as well. A lot of people in my cohort struggled to answer this last year, so it will probably come up this year.
2016-2019 Bachelor of Science @ UoM

purplegiraffe

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • School: Catholic College Bendigo
« Reply #295 on: August 01, 2016, 02:26:56 pm »
Hi all,
Has anyone learnt about the law of effect?
If so, what is it? We had it in our SAC and we all had no idea....

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #296 on: August 01, 2016, 03:22:40 pm »
Hi there.

The law of effect basically just says that you're more likely to repeat a behaviour if that behaviour has positive consequences, and less likely to repeat a behaviour if that behaviour has negative consequences. :)

EDIT: It's essentially the foundation of operant conditioning.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 03:37:20 pm by Joseph41 »

scout

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +38
« Reply #297 on: August 07, 2016, 04:11:56 pm »
Helloo

From what I've read in the textbook, I'm getting the impression that the neural mechanism of learning and memory are essentially the same (e.g 'structural/functional' changes at the synapse, LTP, neurotransmitters) which would make sense since learning can't occur without memory.

So I'm not sure why the textbook describes the two processes as 'alike' as if differences still exist. What might these differences be?

Thanks
ATAR: 99.70

kimmytaaa

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #298 on: August 09, 2016, 11:14:33 am »
Hi
I have a question related to observational learning, What makes children pay such close attention to the behaviour of their parents?

eliseeeeee

• Adventurer
« Reply #299 on: August 10, 2016, 06:53:55 pm »
Hi all! New to ATARNotes so apologies if I'm not going about this the right way, but I just need some assistance in answering a practice SAC question.

"How does brain plasticity impact a person's ability to learn?"
Thank you :)