Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:28:58 pm

Author Topic: Creative non-fiction form?  (Read 5872 times)  Share 

Manar.alogaidi

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Creative non-fiction form?
« on: October 23, 2018, 06:47:13 pm »
Hey!
So I'm just starting 4unit English and am extremely interested in the creative non fiction form. I have been told however that it lacks any samples as it was introduced in the new Syllabus. Do you suggest still researching and using this form, and if so, can anyone think of examples of such a form. All I'm currently imagining is Wollstonecraft's Vindication of Womens' rights. Also any general tips for someone starting 4unit?

Thanks!!  ;D ;D

NowYouTseMe

• MOTM: JUL 18
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +16
Re: Creative non-fiction form?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 10:08:54 pm »
+1
Hey!
So I'm just starting 4unit English and am extremely interested in the creative non fiction form. I have been told however that it lacks any samples as it was introduced in the new Syllabus. Do you suggest still researching and using this form, and if so, can anyone think of examples of such a form. All I'm currently imagining is Wollstonecraft's Vindication of Womens' rights. Also any general tips for someone starting 4unit?

Thanks!!  ;D ;D

Hey there,
I myself did a critical response for 4U English and in my readings of past Young Writers Showcases, there were definitely fictocritical pieces or somewhat unconventional critical responses that one would probably classify under creative non-fiction in the new syllabus so definitely check those out.

Additionally just as a general Extension 2 tip, in your research process I highly recommend you read as much as you can on your chosen form, as well as examples of it because your major work needs to reflect the conventions that naturally come with it while still being innovative. Also, don't leave the reflection statement to the very last minute and make sure you get your major work's purpose finalised as soon as possible because you really don't want to be starting actual drafting of your major work in the middle of the year or worse like, the start of Year 12 is probably the best opportunity to get all of your conceptual stuff and research out of the way before you start drafting so take advantage of that. Good luck with your major!
HSC 2016
Information Processes and Technology: 90

HSC 2018
Advanced English: 95 | Extension 1 English: 47 | Extension 2 English: 42 | Legal Studies: 95 | Modern History: 94 | French Continuers: 84 | Mathematics Advanced: 89

LAT 2018: 88 (90th Percentile)

ATAR: 98.05

Manar.alogaidi

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 07:39:12 pm »
Thank you! I'll look more into the Young Writer's Showcase for inspiration then. Did you do your major work this year?

adityapatil

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2018, 05:28:27 pm »
I'm doing 4 units of english too and I'm in a crossroads between creative fiction or non-fiction. I'm favouring the former, but I've read that there it is much harder to secure marks there as a lot of people opt for it.

Manar.alogaidi

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2018, 07:48:33 pm »
+1
I'm doing 4 units of english too and I'm in a crossroads between creative fiction or non-fiction. I'm favouring the former, but I've read that there it is much harder to secure marks there as a lot of people opt for it.
I personally think you should opt for the form you feel more inclined to do, and not let the popularity of your chosen form delude you into detracting from that. However, if you do find yourself seriously considering creative non fiction, maybe look into both before coming to a decision? 

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 01:25:58 pm »
+1
Hey!

Thanks!!  ;D ;D

Hey, Manar.alogaidi!

I would suggest going with the form that will motivate you most throughout the year and inspire you everyday  ;D Since you have chosen a form that lies in between the two, it might pose some difficulties in researching but that doesn't mean there aren't resources out there! NowYouTseMe has provided a great suggestion to look into the Young Writers Showcases  :) :) I would also like to recommend 'Wind, Sand and Stars' by Antoine de Saint Exupery  ;D He's the author of my favourite book of all time, 'The Little Prince', and that book is a prime example of creative nonfiction done well.

You could also research into conventions of creative and nonfiction writing to draw influences from them in your own Major Work. These can be features applicable to both forms including incorporating images, changing font to italics/bold, or selective use of techniques from either such as imaginative scenarios or the inclusion of factual timelines. I hope this helps  ;D Feel free to post in the Extension 2 board :) I'd love to hear more about your Major Work!

Angelina  :)
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

darcyynic

• MOTM: NOV 18
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2018, 03:26:44 pm »
+1
Hey!

Thanks!!  ;D ;D

Hey! Welcome to English Extension 2 (by far one of my favourite subjects I have ever done!)

I would suggest reading into the work of Helen Garner – an Australian author who covers real court cases in her books. I found that her work was highly influential over my own piece and helped me gain an understanding of how to blend elements of fiction and non-fiction together. George Orwell's narrative essays, such as Shooting an Elephant, are also interesting and give great insight into how a professional author approaches creative non-fiction. While these resources aren't samples of past major works, they might be able to help you by exposing you to a variety of creative non-fiction styles and techniques.

Hope this helps. :)
HSC Class of 2018: English Advanced, English Extension 1, English Extension 2, Modern History, Ancient History, History Extension, and German Continuers.

2019: Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Advanced Studies (Politics and International Relations) (Dalyell Scholars) at USYD.