Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 04:10:11 pm

Author Topic: Creatives - Show Not Tell  (Read 767 times)

david.ko3

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Creatives - Show Not Tell
« on: June 06, 2019, 03:03:27 pm »
Hi all!
I have to write a creative for our multi-modal for Module C assessment but there is a creative component which I am struggling to show not tell. I realized as the story progresses, I am leaning towards the more telling things rather than showing things. I don't have much time to improve on my English but what is the fastest way to improve show not tell? I really need Band 5 for English. :( Thank you so much!!!

InnererSchweinehund

• MOTM: JUNE 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +18
Re: Creatives - Show Not Tell
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2019, 05:35:13 pm »
+8
what is the fastest way to improve show not tell?

Hi!

I often find the best way to show not tell is to create a strong atmosphere and establish imagery, whether it is visual or another sense.
Normally I would do this through using adjectives, action, and strong verbs, but stop short of saying what exactly is happening.
Eg. Telling - She felt cold.
       Showing - She vigorously rubbed her hands together for warmth.

Another good way to 'show' is through using emotions and actions / body language to explain what the character is feeling.
Eg. Telling - She was so angry
      Showing - She stomped her feet furiously and furrowed her brow.

Eg. Telling - She hated the smell there
       Showing - She pulled her face into a familiar grimmance as the scent of cigarettes burnt her nostrils
^Try and avoid using basic 'telling words' like 'saw', 'heard','felt', 'smelt'

Hopefully these ideas can help get you started!

I don't have much time to improve on my English

Even if you don't have much time, a little bit of time each day could be spent on crafting a short story. I definitely find handing my teacher lots of work and getting feedback is what helps me the most!

Good luck!!  ;)

Tierney_P

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 06:44:46 am »
Hello!

I'm practising creative writing atm.....how do I steer away from cliche plot lines? I find that I keep reverting to the same old fairytale-like story iykwim?

Thanks! ;D
bring on 2nd november 🤩

Dan1345

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 09:46:58 am »
+1
As a writer, you need to have respect for your reader in that you believe in their ability to read between the lines. Try to use non-cliched expressions as well. This will make your submission more sophisticated and nuanced. Hope this helps :/

Display an internal emotion through external means
e.g. He was scared and wanted to leave ----> His legs trembled uncontrollably in sync with his bounding heart as his eyes foraged for a way out.