Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 09:14:02 pm

Author Topic: Bachelor of Business (Monash Caulfield)  (Read 22134 times)  Share 

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +307
Re: Bachelor of Business (Monash Caulfield)
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2008, 07:54:47 pm »

Jo... did I include econometrics in the "does not include maths" list?

Seriously, maybe u didn't do so fantastic in business law coz u're so used to maths u started writing a bunch of integral equations :P

Costa didn't miss out on the margin *that* much.
|| BComm + DipLang (Jap) @ Monash ||

costargh

« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2008, 07:57:10 pm »
Jess, if I got 25 I would be good enough to do Commerce but because I got 24 I wouldn't be able to handle it :P

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2008, 10:38:19 pm »
BRING IT ON JO, BRING IT ON!! :knuppel2:

*Is trying and failing miserably to start an online punch-on with Jo so he can become furniture*

Aww... I could never b mad @ u Jo, u is 2 nice! ^_^

Note to self: Must seek the wisdom of kido_1 and master the ancient art of internetus assholiness.

costargh

« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2008, 05:10:56 pm »
So I e-mailed the friendly staff at Monash University and recieved this reply.
Dear Costa

To meet the Math requirements, you must complete one of two units in the Faculty Science.

MTH1010 or MTH1020.  Both these units meet the Math requirements for entry to Clayton based BusEco degrees.

MTH1010 is only offered in semester 1 and is a prerequisite for MTH1020 so you will need to plan your enrolment carefully to be enrolled in MTH1010 in semester 1 of next year.  If you pass the unit, you will meet the Math requirements. [for consideration for transfer into Commerce]

Regards
Ross

MTH1010 http://www.monash.edu.au/pubs/handbooks/units/MTH1010.html

I don't think I would do THAT bad at this subject. I could even get a Credit if I really tried. Out of all areas in the methods course besides probability, this would be one of my best (like 40% in methods lol) but yeh I'm happy. I feel like I can do this now =)
The only bit that scares me is this "...rates of change" .

No matter how many times I tried to get my head around this I could never understand that DV/DT bullshit

Also, this subject is at Monash Clayton, am I allowed to do this subject? LOL. I know the answers yes but I want a bit more information. I heard there is a shuttle bus or something between the Uni's. Anyone got any information on it. Am I allowed to do another subject at Monash Clayton in Sem 1? Anyone know?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 05:25:22 pm by costargh »

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2008, 06:50:37 pm »
So I e-mailed the friendly staff at Monash University and recieved this reply.
Dear Costa

To meet the Math requirements, you must complete one of two units in the Faculty Science.

MTH1010 or MTH1020.  Both these units meet the Math requirements for entry to Clayton based BusEco degrees.

MTH1010 is only offered in semester 1 and is a prerequisite for MTH1020 so you will need to plan your enrolment carefully to be enrolled in MTH1010 in semester 1 of next year.  If you pass the unit, you will meet the Math requirements. [for consideration for transfer into Commerce]

Regards
Ross

MTH1010 http://www.monash.edu.au/pubs/handbooks/units/MTH1010.html

I don't think I would do THAT bad at this subject. I could even get a Credit if I really tried. Out of all areas in the methods course besides probability, this would be one of my best (like 40% in methods lol) but yeh I'm happy. I feel like I can do this now =)
The only bit that scares me is this "...rates of change" .

No matter how many times I tried to get my head around this I could never understand that DV/DT bullshit

Also, this subject is at Monash Clayton, am I allowed to do this subject? LOL. I know the answers yes but I want a bit more information. I heard there is a shuttle bus or something between the Uni's. Anyone got any information on it. Am I allowed to do another subject at Monash Clayton in Sem 1? Anyone know?

Costa.
"If I really tried" are the famous last words of a uni drop-out.
If you do this, you need to do this properly.
This is a second chance, and you need to respect the opportunity as such.
At university, you quickly learn that you only get out what you put in.

That said and out of the way Costa, if you DO put in the effort, I am confident you will pass (and have a good shot of something above said pass).

Now, as for all your questions! XD

* Monash has free shuttle buses running between Clayton and Caulfield/Berwick/Peninsula campuses. The Clayton/Caulfield shuttle bus (well, in actual fact there are two that run opposite each other) leaves every 25 minutes starting 7.30am and last bus 9.15pm. It's the last bus stop on the bus loop @ Clayton campus, and the bus stop near building B on Caulfield campus. You flash your ID card and you get on for free. I caught it last semester before I intermitted both in the morning and in the evening. The two regular bus drivers are old fashioned, really friendly, and cool ^_^

http://fsd.monash.edu.au/travel-parking/travel/inter-campus/2008-shuttle-bus-services

* Yes, I'm quite sure you're allowed to take Clayton units even though it'd be your first semester at Caulfield. I'm not sure whether there's a cap on *how* many you can take cross-campus, apart from the BBus course requirement that 16 of your units in total be from BusEco @ Caulfield. Since you intend to transfer asap, I don't think it'll be too much of a problem. The danger, however, lies in the possibility of you *not* getting the transfer. You can take up to 8 units off-campus or not from BusEco. If you use all these units up in your first year by going to Clayton, then fail to transfer, you'll find yourself very restricted in your choices in years 2 and 3 of your degree. My advice is to (if you can) only do 1 or 2 subjects @ Clayton each semester next year (one of them obviously being MTH1010) and doing Caulfield the equivalents of the core BCom level 1 units.

Shoot off an email to [email protected] to find out for sure.

Sidenote: They're making a Dandenong campus apparently >.> Any1 heard anything bout it?

costargh

« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2008, 07:05:37 pm »
Thanks Jess. What I meant to say was, I know I can pass if I put the effort into it and the more effort I put in the more I will get out of it (ie. maybe even a credit). I know why I got 24 in methods. Pure and simple, not enough effort. Sure, I didn't understand a lot of the concepts but thats because I didnt put in the effort from the start to understand the harder stuff. But yeh, I hope you don't think of me as some guy who thinks he's gonna cruise through this subject cause thats certainly not what I meant. I was meaning to say that If I put my mind to it, I think I can get more than just a pass (ie. a pass is what i require but I want more than that)
Thanks for that info on the shuttle bus. Should come in handy.
I don't think I would consider doing all my subjects at Clayton (I'm not even sure that you can do that) but like you said. 1 or 2 subjects (sem 1 mth1010 plus one more and either 1 or 2 commerce subjects in sem 2) should be alrite if I am able to do that.
I replied to the email I got this afternoon about that situation of studying at Caulfield/Clayton and should get a response in the next few days so thanks.
Haven't heard of that Dandenong campus thing.
What are you studying by the way Jess?

cara.mel

« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2008, 07:07:30 pm »
I don't know how helpful this is but at clayton:
MTH1010 ~ Methods level/equivalent, for people who only did further/no maths
MTH1020 ~ Spec level/equivalent
MTH1030 ~ start of proper uni maths

costargh

« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2008, 07:12:19 pm »
Thanks caramel, I was fairly sure that was the general jist of 1010, 1020 and 1030 (although wasn't sure with 1030), but my brother did 1020 this year with 31 in methods and passed that. I have the advantage of previously actually doing methods (just getting 24, lol) so mth1010 shouldn't be too bad compared to mth1020 (analysis of change) YUCCK.

I've looked at some of 1020 stuff from my brother. It isn't as bad as I thought. Some of it looked methods level stuff. Damn, I'm so pumped to get into this course and do this mth1010 so I can apply for Commerce. I would be the happiest person alive if that happened

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2008, 07:13:11 pm »

BCom @ Clayton, and a Dip in Languages (Jap).

Can't start the Jap part until next year tho.

And no, I didn't think that Costa, but I just want to make sure you get yourself in the right mindset.
It's all about the mindset ;)

costargh

« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2008, 07:20:29 pm »
Wow, sounds good. What are your subjects this semester? You're doing two subjects right?

Yeh, I know what you mean about the mindset. I'm not delusional about this either. Its a strange predicament you find yourself in where you think you have a chance of getting the required ENTER for your course but fell just short in a pre-requisite the year before. It feels like limbo and makes you feel like your goals are so far away (one more year) but I don't want to have this feeling again. I KNOW I can pass this subject. This is supposed to be the easiest maths available (maybe besides first year statistics or something which my brother described as further maths like) and I know that if I could utilise this option, I wouldn't give a half arsed job. I am confident I can get D's of HD's for my BBus subjects which should be close to the requirement for transfer. I know I can do this. I think, the fact that its only one semester also serves as an advantage to me. Because this subject isn't as extensive as the methods course which gives me the best opportunity to pass and maybe even credit or higher.

i am excited jess lol

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2008, 07:23:19 pm »

I'm glad Costa ^_^
You've found a passion.
It makes me envious actually ...I have things that I like and enjoy, but I've yet to find my passion.

This semester I'm doing:

* BTC1110: Business law
    * ECC1000: Principles of microeconomics
    * MGC1010: Introduction to management

costargh

« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2008, 07:31:02 pm »
Wow, that looks cool. They are three of the core units right?
They all interest me (which is why I don't know what specific field I intend to pursue)

Uni level microeconomics sounds awesome =)
Business law sounds like it could have really cool applications to real life (I hope this makes sense) hence sounds mad
Intro to management- Sounds awesome too- I wonder how this is explored at uni level.

I hope you enjoy all your subjects this semester. Let me know which ones are your favourite, easiest, hardest etc so I can get an idea for my plans =)

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2008, 07:48:41 pm »

Shall do.

And yes, core units.
I'm going to do the core units first to get a feel for the different areas of study, then use results/experiences/enjoyment to decide what to major in.

Sidenote: DW, I'm finished taking ova ur thread XD XD

costargh

« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2008, 07:50:45 pm »
Yeh I definitely agree with your approach to the degree.

Lol kk no more side chat :P

Paulie

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2008, 10:17:59 pm »
Just thought I'd chip in here as I'm a first year doing this course (though I'm doing the Accounting major, it's basically the same thing).

In first semester I did Management (MGF1010), Comm Law (BTF1010), Accounting (AFF1110) and Microeconomics (ECF1100). To be honest you saying you KNOW you can D's and HD's in uni (something in which you've never experienced) seems a bit wrong to me. It looks easy on the outside but once you get in you realise it actually does require work. For example one of my mates that I go to uni with, got a much better ENTER than me and failed two subjects last semester. The transition can be difficult.

Anyway, the academic part of the course has been good so far. However Caulfield seems to suck socially. Don't know why but it just does.

Feel free to ask me any questions mate I'll be happy to answer them.