Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 12:27:30 am

Author Topic: All things European  (Read 20830 times)  Share 

alondouek

• Subject Review God
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Oh to be a Gooner!
  • School: Leibler Yavneh College
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Re: All things European
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2013, 01:06:35 pm »
You guys seen polandball ?

Lol polandball is brilliant!

1/4 Austrian, 1/4 Polish, 1/2 Arab - I count, right? :P
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 01:08:36 pm by alondouek »
2013-2016
Majoring in Genetics and Developmental Biology

2012 ATAR: 96.55
English [48] Biology [40]

Need a driving instructor? Mobility Driving School

clıppy

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Would you like help?
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2013, 03:49:51 pm »
Lol polandball is brilliant!

1/4 Austrian, 1/4 Polish, 1/2 Arab - I count, right? :P
He's 1/4 polish, I'll vouch for him.
2013 : VCE
2014 : VCE
2015 : UoM

Putting this here so I don't forget about it: http://www.codecogs.com/latex/eqneditor.php

Tutoring in Chemistry. PM if interested.

BigAl

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • School: Isik College
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2013, 05:23:12 pm »
And then there is this thing...shoe size scale in au is like 3-12 but it's like 34-48 in Europe. I know someone who actually wears size 48..mine was 44
2012 ATAR:88.90

2013-2015 Bachelor of Aerospace Engineering and Science (dropped in 2015)
2015-2017 Bachelor of Engineering (Mechanical)

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2013, 07:07:39 pm »
I'm like 1/2-3/4ths europeanish if that counts. Both my parents were born here though so we don't usually have anything much to do with it unless we meet with grandparents and stuff (on the upside, two easters!).

Any Eastern European? I'm wondering if your mum or grandma has ever made yoghurt, feta cheese etc at home?

I know people who have made homemade booze if that counts?

Feta is awesome though. A lot of French cheese kicks ass too (don't knock it until you try it). Really pitty all the lactose intolerant folks out there cause it kicks ass.

Let's not forget this awesome little number either:

If you don't know what it is, its baklava you heathens.

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology
2016: Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Psychiatry research

alondouek

• Subject Review God
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Oh to be a Gooner!
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2013, 07:30:57 pm »
I'm like 1/2-3/4ths europeanish if that counts. Both my parents were born here though so we don't usually have anything much to do with it unless we meet with grandparents and stuff (on the upside, two easters!).

Feta is awesome though. A lot of French cheese kicks ass too (don't knock it until you try it). Really pitty all the lactose intolerant folks out there cause it kicks ass.

(Image removed from quote.)

My family can't understand why I don't like baklava...

tbh neither do I, it just doesn't work for me lol
2013-2016

sasa

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Bananas
  • School: Academy of Mary Immaculate
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2013, 07:42:01 pm »
neither do I....that is food of the gods right there! I'm full Greek!! This weekend, my mum wants to make galaktobouriko (or yalaktompouriko in Greeklish).  (don't know what it is? I pity you...Look it up..you will not be disappointed, just very very hungry).

You know what doesn't end up going well in a sentence? Wog parents and VCE.....oh god...why? 0_0"
If you don't know the answer to a question, chances are it has something to do with changing the surface area to volume ratio or resonance.

clıppy

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Would you like help?
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2013, 07:44:01 pm »

(Image removed from quote.)

I guess I'm a heathen now.
But please, more about this homemade booze. My grandpa use to trade homemade booze for goods back in communist Poland.

Putting this here so I don't forget about it: http://www.codecogs.com/latex/eqneditor.php

alondouek

• Subject Review God
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Oh to be a Gooner!
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2013, 07:48:54 pm »
haha nutty foods are just lost on me, I can't do the woody taste :-\

My grandmother (Iraqi) made galaktompoureko for me once (she lives in Israel so I don't see her too often) - she picked it up from Greek refugees in 1950s Italy when our family was forced out of Egypt, she made it with a sweet cream-cheese filling instead of semolina though... Oh man I nearly died of happiness (along with all the other delicious recipes she has :) )

My European grandmother is more into Classic European meat and potatoes hahahaha!
2013-2016

clıppy

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Would you like help?
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2013, 07:53:27 pm »
haha nutty foods are just lost on me, I can't do the woody taste :-\

My grandmother (Iraqi) made galaktompoureko for me once (she lives in Israel so I don't see her too often) - she picked it up from Greek refugees in 1950s Italy when our family was forced out of Egypt, she made it with a sweet cream-cheese filling instead of semolina though... Oh man I nearly died of happiness (along with all the other delicious recipes she has :) )

My European grandmother is more into Classic European meat and potatoes hahahaha!
Don't be hating on European meat and potatoes, some of the meals will blow your mind.

alondouek

• Subject Review God
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Oh to be a Gooner!
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2013, 07:55:20 pm »
Don't be hating on European meat and potatoes, some of the meals will blow your mind.

No hate, I'm eating one now :D
2013-2016

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2013, 07:57:44 pm »
My family can't understand why I don't like baklava...

Yeah, its one of those things that probably isn't for everyone. It is a fair bit sickly sweet, some people cant handle that much sweetness. If i eat too much sugary stuff i feel sick as well, so, its definitely something i only have once in awhile.

neither do I....that is food of the gods right there! I'm full Greek!! This weekend, my mum wants to make galaktobouriko (or yalaktompouriko in Greeklish).  (don't know what it is? I pity you...Look it up..you will not be disappointed, just very very hungry).

Never heard of that but i'm Greek (well its fuzzy, they lived right on the Yugoslav border) pretty much by blood only (ex. family gatherings). Is it sort of the baklava pastry but stuffed with custard? Doesn't look bad.

I'm a vegetarian so gatherings with the extended family are interesting.

But please, more about this homemade booze. My grandpa use to trade homemade booze for goods back in communist Poland.

Alcohol actually isn't too hard to make. It happens naturally as well. It's pretty easy (dont know if legal) to set up a still to refine alcohol. One of my mates had relatives that had a decently large one back home in the balkans to make Rakia (sp?). I know its Croatian but its pretty much the same as the "white fire" booze every other European culture has like grappa.

Gotta say though, as far as liquor goes (sorry for corrupting the U18s) the English are winning for me so far. I love my Beefeater.

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology

alondouek

• Subject Review God
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Oh to be a Gooner!
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2013, 08:09:19 pm »
Gotta say though, as far as liquor goes (sorry for corrupting the U18s) the English are winning for me so far. I love my Beefeater.

My love forever and always belongs to single malt scotch whiskey - I can't understand why some people don't like it?
2013-2016

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2013, 08:12:45 pm »
My love forever and always belongs to single malt scotch whiskey - I can't understand why some people don't like it?

Cause i'm a Jew (not literally)? Single malt is pretty expensive. You can find them going towards $40-50 (damn our ridiculous alcohol tax punishing spirit drinkers...its done by type of beverage, not alcohol content, its why goon is so cheap) but they're probably not the best.

I did buy a bottle of blended famous grouse once and that wasn't bad, pretty smooth/caramelly/buttery not much smoke though. I tend to like my liquors and wines towards the whiter side though.

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----

alondouek

• Subject Review God
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Oh to be a Gooner!
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2013, 08:18:33 pm »
Cause i'm a Jew (not literally)? Single malt is pretty expensive. You can find them going towards $40-50 (damn our ridiculous alcohol tax punishing spirit drinkers...its done by type of beverage, not alcohol content, its why goon is so cheap) but they're probably not the best.

I did buy a bottle of blended famous grouse once and that wasn't bad, pretty smooth/caramelly/buttery not much smoke though. I tend to like my liquors and wines towards the whiter side though.

As a Jew (literally), it's one of the few things I enjoy spending my money on :P

I have a system that for every HD I get in uni, I buy a bottle of single malt. I currently am buying myself a Lagavulin 16 and a Talisker Storm ($90 each). Monash scholarship money hard at work!
2013-2016

clıppy

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Would you like help?
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2013, 08:23:51 pm »
As a Jew (literally), it's one of the few things I enjoy spending my money on :P

I have a system that for every HD I get in uni, I buy a bottle of single malt. I currently am buying myself a Lagavulin 16 and a Talisker Storm ($90 each). Monash scholarship money hard at work!
Back on Jew talk for a second, does anyone have an idiot friend that assumes everyone in Poland is Jewish?