Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:09:55 pm

Author Topic: VCE Italian Questions Thread  (Read 8494 times)  Share 

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
VCE Italian Questions Thread
« on: August 02, 2018, 10:39:20 am »
+1
VCE ITALIAN Q&A THREAD

What is this thread for?
If you have general questions about the VCE Italian course or how to improve in certain areas, this is the place to ask! 👌

Who can/will answer questions?
Everyone is welcome to contribute; even if you're unsure of yourself, providing different perspectives is incredibly valuable.

Please don't be dissuaded by the fact that you haven't finished Year 12, or didn't score as highly as others, or your advice contradicts something else you've seen on this thread, or whatever; none of this disqualifies you from helping others. And if you're worried you do have some sort of misconception, put it out there and someone else can clarify and modify your understanding! 

There'll be a whole bunch of other high-scoring students with their own wealths of wisdom to share with you, including TuteSmart tutors! So you may even get multiple answers from different people offering their insights - very cool.

To ask a question or make a post, you will first need an ATAR Notes account. You probably already have one, but if you don't, it takes about four seconds to sign up - and completely free!

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

3rin_bourk3

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: VCE Italian Questions Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 11:49:51 am »
+2
Does anyone know of any practice exams that don't come from VCAA? I've done all the VCAA ones and now I need new ones for the current study design.
Does anyone have any suggestions? The name of a book or a website? Happy to pay for them  :)

Thanks

Sophia-MacDonald

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 05:39:49 pm »
Does anyone know of any practice exams that don't come from VCAA? I've done all the VCAA ones and now I need new ones for the current study design.
Does anyone have any suggestions? The name of a book or a website? Happy to pay for them  :)

Thanks

I think lots of the companies that provide textbooks have practice exams that they make, so you could look that up, plus others maybe.

http://ecommerce.arts.unimelb.edu.au/product.asp?pID=117
That URL is to a Melbourne Uni page, which is like a kit of things to help with exam prep. It costs 80 dollars but it has 6 listenings, a full written exam practice, and advice, as well as other things. It's from 2018, but it should still be at least partially relevant.

You could also try and find a tutor to help with the oral, as well as general fluency, but of course its up to you.

ErnieTheBirdi

• Forum Regular
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 09:57:36 pm »
Hey everyone!
I just wanted some advice, if I am already doing VCE Chinese Second Language should I do VCE Italian too?

ErnieTheBirdi

• Forum Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2019, 09:42:11 pm »
Ciao a tutti!
I was just wondering should I get an Italian tutor, since I am beginning to do Italian 1/2 next year? Does anyone have any tips for me going into VCE Italian and does anyone have a tutor they would recommend?
Grazie!!

kiara rodrigo

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2019, 01:19:17 pm »
Hi,
i am looking for an italian tutor for practise with the oral, especially someone located in the south eastern suburbs. pls let me know if you know anyone who might be available.
grazie a tutti  :)

amelia_nap

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2020, 07:44:33 pm »
Hey everyone,  :D

I'm in year 10 and need to choose my VCE subjects.
I am wondering if I should do VCE Italian?
I've learnt Italian since year 7, but I am not that good at it to be honest :-[. However, I am very eager to learn and want to be fluent one day. I am alright with grammer but am bad at putting sentences together.
Do you think I should do VCE Italian, even if it means going against the fluent italian speakers?
Thanks  :D

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2020, 07:53:32 pm »
+5

I've learnt Italian since year 7, but I am not that good at it to be honest :-[. However, I am very eager to learn and want to be fluent one day. I am alright with grammer but am bad at putting sentences together.
Do you think I should do VCE Italian, even if it means going against the fluent italian speakers?

Hey Amelia, If you are eager and you enjoy the subject go for it!
I've learnt Indonesian since Grade 2 and I'm good enough to hold basic conversation but my teacher talked me out of it because I didn't do it in year 11 and it would be too hard for me to do well and i regret it so much because I LOVE the language. If you are eager and wanna do it cause you enjoy it 100% go for it, but be mindful that you are going up against fluent Italian speakers so it just makes your chances of a really high score more difficult.
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP

lm21074

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +594
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2020, 07:59:59 pm »
+3

Buonasera Amelia! :)

Welcome to ATAR Notes!

If you do enjoy Italian (it sounds like you do in your post), then why not give it a go? You can always discontinue it for Year 12 and replace it with another subject should you not like it next year.

Seeing as you're in Year 10, you have time to improve your language skills. And you are 100% capable of doing so. Studying VCE Italian can get you on the path to fluency. Keep in mind that there are other ways you can learn the language too (e.g. at uni, via apps, etc).

Arrivederci! :)

Edit: J_Rho posted when I was typing but I'll just leave this here.
2021: VCE
2022: Science / Arts @ Monash

Snow Leopard

• MOTM: SEP 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2020, 05:12:02 pm »
+1
but be mindful that you are going up against fluent Italian speakers so it just makes your chances of a really high score more difficult.
Actually, while that is true for people doing a 3/4 Language in 2020 and previous, it's not so for people who are doing LOTE 3/4 from 2021 onwards.
This link from VCAA explains it better: https://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/administration/schooladministration/notices/2019/Pages/151.aspx
Modern language study score changes
Principals/Directors, VCE coordinators and VCE language teachers

From 2021 the VCAA will introduce a change to the way study scores are determined for students in 31 VCE Unit 3 and 4 language studies.

The VCAA will use two categories of VCE Language students in this new process: First Language Learners and Second Language Learners.

First Language and Second Language Learners will follow exactly the same curriculum and sit exactly the same examinations.

The study scores of Second Language Learners will be determined separately from First Language Learners.

A student will be considered a Second Language Learner if they have had no more than seven years of education in a school where the language is the medium of instruction. This same criterion is used for VCE Japanese, Indonesian, Korean and Vietnamese Second Language studies.

VCE Language students will be required to complete a declaration at enrolment in the affected studies.

This change will ensure that assessment of VCE modern languages is fair to all students.

For each applicable VCE Language study, scores will be determined for Second Language Learners and then applied to all students (both First and Second Language Learners). This will ensure that the resulting study scores reflect the rank of all students based on their assessment results in the study and that there is no disadvantage to either First or Second Language Learners.

Schools should advise current Language students in Years 9 and 10 about this change to ensure they make informed choices for their VCE studies.

The VCE languages affected by this change will be Arabic, French, German, Greek, Italian, Spanish, Armenian, Bosnian, Chin Hakha, Croatian, Dutch, Filipino, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Karen, Khmer, Macedonian, Maltese, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Sinhala, Swedish, Tamil, Turkish and Yiddish.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 05:16:45 pm by Snow Leopard »

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +785
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2020, 10:13:05 am »
+3
Hey everyone,
I had my Italian oral yesterday and it didn’t go as planned, a bit disappointed and definitely could of done better. I was wondering if this would in any way hinder my ability to do well overall. I’m trying not to dwell on the past what’s done is done but just need a little confidence booster that my study score isn’t totally screwed. I’ve probably averaged like 89% and am maybe rank 2 in my class.
If anyone also has any advice to improve listening skills for the listening tasks on the exam that’d be greatly appreciated as well.

First of all congrats on getting the oral exam done, that's still a great achievement! It must feel disappointing to know you could have done better, but know that you aren't alone, I think a lot of people can be affected by the nerves and new environment and it's common to not do as good as you have in practices.
Don't give up hope! (I'm not sure what the weighting of the oral vs written is for you, but for me the written was more important?). You won't be totally screwed, try your best on the written exam!
Movies and tv shows  in the language are the best way to improve listening in my opinion, highly recommend, they are very good practice.
Good luck  :)
2018: Biology
2019: Chemistry, Physics, Math Methods, English, Japanese
2020: Bachelor of Psychology (Monash)

AlannahBottino

• Trailblazer
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2021, 11:53:17 am »
Where exactly do the oral exams take place? And does all of your class/school have their oral exam on the same day?

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2021, 12:52:57 pm »
+3
Where exactly do the oral exams take place? And does all of your class/school have their oral exam on the same day?

They often take place at hotels, and they have a few rooms going at once with people doing the exam in them. (Depends on your area, there are different hotels used)
Yeah, your whole class should have it on the same day!

AlannahBottino

• Trailblazer
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2021, 01:52:09 pm »
+1
Are all of the components of the exam weighted equally?

i.e. Is the written exam worth more than the oral exam?
     Does the discussion part of the oral exam worth more than the general conversation part?

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2021, 08:06:55 pm »
+4
Are all of the components of the exam weighted equally?

i.e. Is the written exam worth more than the oral exam?
     Does the discussion part of the oral exam worth more than the general conversation part?

Yeah, the written exam is worth 37.5%, and the oral exam is weighted less, 12.5%.

The discussion and general conversation parts are both worth the same amount of marks in the oral exam.

(I got the info from here)