Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:00:24 am

Author Topic: VCE Psychology Question Thread!  (Read 469800 times)  Share 

howey

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +77
Re: VCE Psychology Question Thread!
« Reply #465 on: June 11, 2017, 02:57:15 pm »
+1
Thanks Howey!!! Just one more question (for now hehe) what do we write in a conclusion? Like what's different between that and the discussion?

A conclusion is generally just one or two sentences, and just summarises the whole experiment. E.g. Overall, this experiment clearly showed the existence of the serial position effect and therefore demonstrated the existence of both short-term and long-term memory.

Often, it is just added onto the end of the discussion, and is generally pretty short.

"It's hard to beat a person who never gives up" - Babe Ruth

Novashock

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • someone save me
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #466 on: June 11, 2017, 07:07:55 pm »
Im pre sure you guys are getting sick of me rn xD but is there any difference between limitations of a study and the extraneous/confounding variables present? What else can i write under my limitations section?
Basically how to write an effective discussion pls.
THANKS AGAIN
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 10:15:04 pm by Novashock »
2017 | Psychology
2018 | English, Methods,  HHD, Biology, Chemistry
2019 | BBiomedSc @ Monash University
2022 | MD @ Deakin University

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #467 on: June 12, 2017, 02:46:52 pm »
+3
In your limitations section you talk about how relevant your findings are to the real world. Limitations are caused by variables, but I wouldn't say they are variables. Some questions which can help you write this section include:
what population is my sample representative of, if any? Why?
What confounding variables may have impacted the results?
How would each variable impact the results?
What could a future researcher do to protect against this?

Ashjames

• Trendsetter
  • Life.is.short-incorrect-Its the longest thing ever
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #468 on: June 14, 2017, 03:10:07 pm »
Question:  How is the Amygdala and the cerebral cortex involved in long-term memory?
What are their roles in regards to long term memory formation and storage?

Butterflygirl

• Trendsetter
  • An evil ferocious demon.
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #469 on: June 14, 2017, 06:21:24 pm »
+2
Question:  How is the Amygdala and the cerebral cortex involved in long-term memory?
What are their roles in regards to long term memory formation and storage?

Amygdala is involved in formation and encoding of implicit memories which then are passed onto the cerebral cortex for storage. The cerebral cortex basically stores long term memories according to what type of information was processed. Eg. Procedural memories are stored in the frontal lobes of the cerebral cortex.

I'm learning this too, so someone correct me if I'm wrong! :)

Ashjames

• Trendsetter
« Reply #470 on: June 17, 2017, 12:18:52 pm »
+2
Questions:

1.Are episodic memories more susceptible to memory loss then semantic memories? Explain with reference to Alzheimer's disease

2. Explain the role of the temporal lobe in memory formation. What memories does it store?

3. Which is the Amygdala NOT responsible for?
a) learning
b)memory
c)fear
d)all emotions

4. Explain the existence of short term and long term memory using the serial position effect

5. Wendy and bill witnessed a car accident. Wendy was standing at the curb, while bill witnessed it from inside a bakery. Wendy always has vivid flashbacks of the event. One year later, Bill and Wendy were giving eyewitness testimony in court, Bill gave a different story to othre one he gave on the scene of the accident

a) Explain the role of the Amygdala with reference to Wendy's reaction
b) What hormone was responsible for Wendy's reactions?
C) With reference to Elizabeth Loftus, explain why Bill might have given different testimony in court

6. Explain anterograde amnesia with reference to an example
Thanks guys!!

howey

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #471 on: June 18, 2017, 10:35:24 am »
+3
1.Are episodic memories more susceptible to memory loss then semantic memories? Explain with reference to Alzheimer's disease

I'm not 100% sure on this, but personally I would say that both episodic and semantic memories are heavily affected by Alzheimer's disease. The key thing is that explicit memories (semantic and episodic) tend to be affected earlier in the disease and more severely than implicit memories.

2. Explain the role of the temporal lobe in memory formation. What memories does it store?

The temporal lobe contains both the hippocampus and the amygdala. Therefore, it is involved in the consolidation of explicit memories (the primary role of the hippocampus) and the formation of emotional memories (the amygdala). As for storage, neither the hippocampus or the amygdala store memories, as long-term explicit memories are distributed around the cerebral cortex. It is likely the temporal lobe will store auditory information from these memories, as auditory information is processed in the temporal lobe.

3. Which is the Amygdala NOT responsible for?
a) learning
b)memory
c)fear
d)all emotions

Bit of a strange question, this. Personally, I would say d) all emotions, as the amygdala is involved in learning, memory and fear, and d) just seems like a bit of a strange answer, even though the amygdala does have a key role in regulating emotional reactions. Happy to be challenged on this one!

4. Explain the existence of short term and long term memory using the serial position effect

The key here is to consider the primacy and recency effect. The primacy effect (items at the start of the list being remembered better) are rehearsed multiple times and therefore pass into LTM - therefore proving the existence of LTM. The recency effect (items at the end of the list being remembered better) occurs due to these items still being in STM - therefore proving the existence of STM.

5. Wendy and bill witnessed a car accident. Wendy was standing at the curb, while bill witnessed it from inside a bakery. Wendy always has vivid flashbacks of the event. One year later, Bill and Wendy were giving eyewitness testimony in court, Bill gave a different story to othre one he gave on the scene of the accident

a) Explain the role of the Amygdala with reference to Wendy's reaction

Wendy's amygdala was responsible for this event being remembered strongly, and therefore able to be easily retrieved. During times of heightened emotional arousal, such as the accident, noradrenaline is released at the amygdala, which stimulates the amygdala to signal to the hippocampus that stronger encoding of the memory is needed. If the memory is encoded very strongly, this could explain Wendy's constant flashbacks.

b) What hormone was responsible for Wendy's reactions?

As touched on above, noradrenaline, although adrenaline also plays a role.

C) With reference to Elizabeth Loftus, explain why Bill might have given different testimony in court

Loftus found that memories could be reconstructed over time. Therefore, Bill may have reconstructed his memory of the accident over the past year due to new information becoming available, or due to being asked leading questions. This can lead to new information being inserted into Bill's memory, causing the memory to be fallible and possible incorrect, and different to the memory that he originally had.

6. Explain anterograde amnesia with reference to an example

Anterograde amnesia is when an individual is unable to form new long-term explicit memories after the brain trauma/incident occurs (such as a head knock). H.M. is a famous example of this - he had most of his medial temporal lobes removed and was unable to form new explicit long-term memories afterwards.

I hope this helps! :)

Ashjames

• Trendsetter
« Reply #472 on: June 18, 2017, 12:54:52 pm »
I'm not 100% sure on this, but personally I would say that both episodic and semantic memories are heavily affected by Alzheimer's disease. The key thing is that explicit memories (semantic and episodic) tend to be affected earlier in the disease and more severely than implicit memories.

The temporal lobe contains both the hippocampus and the amygdala. Therefore, it is involved in the consolidation of explicit memories (the primary role of the hippocampus) and the formation of emotional memories (the amygdala). As for storage, neither the hippocampus or the amygdala store memories, as long-term explicit memories are distributed around the cerebral cortex. It is likely the temporal lobe will store auditory information from these memories, as auditory information is processed in the temporal lobe.

Bit of a strange question, this. Personally, I would say d) all emotions, as the amygdala is involved in learning, memory and fear, and d) just seems like a bit of a strange answer, even though the amygdala does have a key role in regulating emotional reactions. Happy to be challenged on this one!

The key here is to consider the primacy and recency effect. The primacy effect (items at the start of the list being remembered better) are rehearsed multiple times and therefore pass into LTM - therefore proving the existence of LTM. The recency effect (items at the end of the list being remembered better) occurs due to these items still being in STM - therefore proving the existence of STM.

Wendy's amygdala was responsible for this event being remembered strongly, and therefore able to be easily retrieved. During times of heightened emotional arousal, such as the accident, noradrenaline is released at the amygdala, which stimulates the amygdala to signal to the hippocampus that stronger encoding of the memory is needed. If the memory is encoded very strongly, this could explain Wendy's constant flashbacks.

As touched on above, noradrenaline, although adrenaline also plays a role.

Loftus found that memories could be reconstructed over time. Therefore, Bill may have reconstructed his memory of the accident over the past year due to new information becoming available, or due to being asked leading questions. This can lead to new information being inserted into Bill's memory, causing the memory to be fallible and possible incorrect, and different to the memory that he originally had.

Anterograde amnesia is when an individual is unable to form new long-term explicit memories after the brain trauma/incident occurs (such as a head knock). H.M. is a famous example of this - he had most of his medial temporal lobes removed and was unable to form new explicit long-term memories afterwards.

I hope this helps! :)

Yes Howey- it has helped immensely!!! You're such a gun!! way to go Howey!! ;) ;)

Ashjames

• Trendsetter
« Reply #473 on: June 18, 2017, 01:06:41 pm »
+1
Bit of a strange question, this. 

Agreed upon Howey- its a really strange question (don't know where my teacher got this from???) I'll let you know what the correct answer is when I know.
Yeah I also agree with d), because the Amygdala is responsible for classically conditioned emotional responses (such as littleAlbert) so its definitely not b)learning, and the other 2 options are just TOO OBVIOUS!!!

EdwinaB19

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #474 on: June 22, 2017, 07:51:44 pm »
+1
Hey I was wondering if anyone knew why stage 3 of NREM is 3-10 minutes long and why it's so short?
2016: Biology [37]

2017: Health & Human Development [45], Psychology [44], Further Mathematics [43], English [39]

2018-2023: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Bachelor of Science @ Monash

Ashjames

• Trendsetter
« Reply #475 on: June 23, 2017, 03:40:13 pm »
+1
This ones specifically for Howey::

I got my SAC back and my teacher told my that the Amygdala question was correct, it was d) all emotions

I really don't know how she came up with that, but thanks for your help anyways!  :D

howey

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #476 on: June 25, 2017, 10:28:16 am »
+1
Hey I was wondering if anyone knew why stage 3 of NREM is 3-10 minutes long and why it's so short?

Hi! To be honest, no, I don't know why it's so short. As soon as there are over 50% delta brain waves it is classified as stage 4 sleep, so presumably this doesn't take very long after leaving stage 2. The good news is you don't need to know (for VCE purposes) why Stage 3 is so short. :)

howey

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #477 on: June 25, 2017, 10:29:42 am »
+2
This ones specifically for Howey::

I got my SAC back and my teacher told my that the Amygdala question was correct, it was d) all emotions

I really don't know how she came up with that, but thanks for your help anyways!  :D

Good to hear, Ashjames!! It really was a bit of a strange question - I'm glad you got the mark :)

lovelyperson

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #478 on: June 26, 2017, 02:36:06 pm »
Ermmm, I mean the DV. We are trying to get the serial position effect to occur, and we're measuring the position of the words recalled (start, middle or end), so how would I operationalise the DV?

Super super late response, but oh whoops - howey answered your question though.

Ashjames

• Trendsetter
« Reply #479 on: June 27, 2017, 01:44:37 pm »
Questions:

Are amplitude and frequency only used to measure the brains electrical activity in regards to EEG? Are they used to measure electrical activity in EOG and EMG? ( basically, are amplitude and frequency used in EOG,EMG and EEG? or is it used only in EEG?)

Why is consciousness placed on a continuum?

:) :)