Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:31:29 am

Author Topic: Not enjoying biomedical science  (Read 1468 times)

lewt3z

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Not enjoying biomedical science
« on: June 26, 2019, 03:14:32 pm »
I dont know why, but I'm really not enjoying biomed right now. It's fucking me over so badly.
I would still like to be a doctor as this has been my ambition since high school, but biomed is making me pull my hair out, who knows what medicine has in store for me. I was super close to dropping biomed in my first year then I was like fuck it, I survived one year may as well go to the end; bad choice for myself imo.

tbh I don't know whether i've lost interest in med or if i'm not dealing with the stress well. idk i'm in a weird place rn

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
Re: Not enjoying biomedical science
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 03:09:11 pm »
+1
Hey lewt3z,
Hope you're feeling a bit better. If you chose to transfer courses, is there anything that interests you?

Also, might be worth talking to someone (maybe a GP ect.) about your stress levels, if you think that might be the reason you aren't enjoying the course. You never know, but it might make you feel a bit better about some things and they can probably refer you on to someone if they think you could use some help with your stress. Do you have any strategies at the moment for when you feel overwhelmed? I always like to go on a long walk.

Sending good vibes and feel free to PM me if you would like!

lewt3z

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 08:03:26 pm »
+1
Hey lewt3z,
Hope you're feeling a bit better. If you chose to transfer courses, is there anything that interests you?

Also, might be worth talking to someone (maybe a GP ect.) about your stress levels, if you think that might be the reason you aren't enjoying the course. You never know, but it might make you feel a bit better about some things and they can probably refer you on to someone if they think you could use some help with your stress. Do you have any strategies at the moment for when you feel overwhelmed? I always like to go on a long walk.

Sending good vibes and feel free to PM me if you would like!
thank you for your reply my friend :)
no, i wont be transferring courses. i guess i was at a bitter time where i just had to rant. i have seen a professional and it definitely removed a lot of weight on my shoulders. i dont really have any strategies to deal with stressful situations, but i'll see if long walks will work.
thanks again!!!

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 08:22:57 pm »
i have seen a professional and it definitely removed a lot of weight on my shoulders. i dont really have any strategies to deal with stressful situations, but i'll see if long walks will work.
thanks again!!!

good to hear! wishing you the best of luck (and even if long walks aren't for you, i hope that you find something)

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2019, 11:25:00 am »
+2
The above advice is really sensible. Sounds like you're having a tough time and should focus on maybe getting some help for that first and foremost :)

Biomed and med are two very different kettles of fish, with your experience of both going to be really heavily influenced by the friends you have around you and the way you experience the course.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

lewt3z

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2019, 06:23:26 pm »
+2
The above advice is really sensible. Sounds like you're having a tough time and should focus on maybe getting some help for that first and foremost :)

Biomed and med are two very different kettles of fish, with your experience of both going to be really heavily influenced by the friends you have around you and the way you experience the course.
thank you <3
yes, i'll be seeing another professional next week, so don't worry bout it.
very true what you're saying, my cohort is super cool and supportive! makes my life much better :)