Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:58:22 pm

Author Topic: So this is gonna be interesting...  (Read 21414 times)

BrittyG

• Forum Regular
  • Work hard and be rewarded
  • Respect: +50
So this is gonna be interesting...
« on: November 10, 2017, 08:58:56 pm »
+18
First off, I'm still finding my way around this site so forgive me if something goes wrong along the way, but I am really excited to delve into all the great resources that are here.

I guess I should start by introducing myself, Hi I'm Britt, I'm a freshly inducted year 12 student, actually I'm not even sure, I'm in the odd transitioning period where half the teachers are calling me year 11 and the other half year 12 so I don't know whats happening, what a start. Moving on, a bit about me I'm doing 6 subjects (11 units) for my HSC course and they are; Biology, Business Studies, Standard English, General Math, PDHPE, Studies of Religion I. My prelim report came in the mail today and I am currently sitting in the top 10 of all my classes except English and SORI, I'm pretty pleased with my results so far. I will be uploading my prelim notes once I edit and refine them and hope they are of use to other users. I'm doing this memo thing I guess so I can keep track of my HSC journey and for a little bit of procrastination, because who doesn't love a bit of procrastination right  ;). Anyways I'm a bit late to the party BUT, I am currently at the end of week 5, and I'm starting to get all of my HSC Task 1 assignments. The main thing that's got me rattled is that everything now counts all the in-class assignments and tasks count towards my HSC, sure the tasks may not weigh a lot but it still counts. My initial reaction is like welp I'm screwed can't get above 60% in English how am I going to 'smash the HSC'. The most common answer is, a lot of work and PRACTICE PAPERS, so I might give that a crack and let you all know.

So that's me and that's enough procrastination for today, it's nice to make your acquaintance, and I hope you enjoy following me along on my HSC journey.

HSCya later,
Britt  8)
HSC 2018
Biology || Business Studies || English Standard || Genral Math || PDHPE || Studies of Religion I

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: So this is gonna be interesting...
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 09:06:21 pm »
+9
Yessss, another journal, love these things. Procrastination for you writing it, procrastination for me reading it... Win win ;)

Welcome Britt! Super keen to have you around, if you need help finding stuff or anything just let me know ;D

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 09:12:46 pm »
+6
Yay!! Another HSC journey journal!! Welcome to the forums!! Hope you enjoy your HSC journey, we're all here for you at atarnotes ;D
Just wondering what electives and texts do you do for standard english?
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 11:11:39 pm »
+5
welcome welcome welcome!!

you're now part of the journal squad (if we can call it that..?) i hope AN becomes a great place of love and support for you, just as it has for heaps of other people :-)

may year 12 be a great year for you! there's no sugar coating it - it's hard, but incredibly rewarding when you get to the end. :-)
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 10:22:26 am »
+4
Welcome!! So glad to have you around :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

BrittyG

• Forum Regular
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 08:57:06 am »
+4
Yessss, another journal, love these things. Procrastination for you writing it, procrastination for me reading it... Win win ;)

Welcome Britt! Super keen to have you around, if you need help finding stuff or anything just let me know ;D

Definitley a win win. I think I'm getting the hang of the forum now 🤙🏼

Yay!! Another HSC journey journal!! Welcome to the forums!! Hope you enjoy your HSC journey, we're all here for you at atarnotes ;D
Just wondering what electives and texts do you do for standard english?

Hello! thank you for the warm welcome. For Standard English I'm doing Away by Michael Gow, The story of Tom Brennan, the poems of Wilfred Owen and Run Lola Run, I'm pretty sure.

welcome welcome welcome!!

you're now part of the journal squad (if we can call it that..?) i hope AN becomes a great place of love and support for you, just as it has for heaps of other people :-)

may year 12 be a great year for you! there's no sugar coating it - it's hard, but incredibly rewarding when you get to the end. :-)

Yes the journal squad! I already feel very welcomed :) Thank you for the support!

Mod edit: Merged posts :)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 09:36:36 am by Jess1113 »
HSC 2018
Biology || Business Studies || English Standard || Genral Math || PDHPE || Studies of Religion I

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 09:42:03 am »
+3
Great to have you here, Britt - can't wait to hear of your progress! ;D

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

BrittyG

• Forum Regular
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2017, 01:43:21 pm »
+6
Week 7 will soon be upon me and I am 2 weeks behind on all my subjects but Math and English. I have assignments and exams for all of my subjects except SORI and I'm feeling the pressure and for now on I'm going to make a breakdown count because I feel like there will be a lot of tears througout HSC as I stress myself out. BUT GOOD NEWS, I completed my first ever HSC task (general math) and I believe I did well!
I have PDHPE due this coming week Friday and haven't started due to all my catch up but I'm planning on starting it today and finishing it by Tuesday so I can get it proofread by one of my friends who is a PE teacher, but there are so many things going on inside and outside of school at the moment I won't even be able to scratch myself.
The following week Monday/Tuesday I have English (Exam AOS: Discovery) and Biology (Search for better health). I have a few weekend competitions that will limit the time I have to study and do assignments so I'm a wee bit stressed about that, but we'll see how I travel I guess. Well, that's enough procrastinating, I'm now off to do my PDHPE assignment.

Breakdown count: 8

HSCya later,
Britt 8)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 11:15:09 am by BrittyG »
HSC 2018

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2017, 03:31:52 pm »
+4
Week 7 will soon be upon me and I am 2 weeks behind on all my subjects but Math and English. I have assignments and exams for all of my subjects except SORI and I'm feeling the pressure and for now on I'm going to make a breakdown count because I feel like there will be a lot of tears througout HSC as I stress myself out. BUT GOOD NEWS, I completed my first ever HSC task (general math) and I believe I did well!
I have PDHPE due this coming week Friday and haven't started due to all my catch up but I'm planning on starting it today and finishing it by Tuesday so I can get it proofread by one of my friends who is a PE teacher, but there are so many things going on inside and outside of school at the moment I won't even be able to scratch myself.
The following week Monday/Tuesday I have English (Exam AOS: Discovery) and Biology (Search for better health). I have a few weekend competitions that will limit the time I have to study and do assignments so I'm a wee bit stressed about that, but we'll see how I travel I guess. Well, that's enough procrastinating, I'm now off to do my PDHPE assignment.

Breakdown count: 8

HSCya later,
Britt 8)

Even though you're feeling overwhelmed, you have a really good grasp on where your assessments are, what they're for, and where you should be up to with class work - and that's super important. You've got your head around everything, you've just got to get your body moving through it all with you :) Be sure to acknowledge when you smash a task out of the park! I listed all of my assessments and then drew a nice satisfying line with a permanent marker through each as they were finished so I could visualise the process, and it served as a good reminder that I was making progress even when everything seemed to be in chaos! :)

BrittyG

• Forum Regular
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2017, 12:56:29 am »
+1
Even though you're feeling overwhelmed, you have a really good grasp on where your assessments are, what they're for, and where you should be up to with class work - and that's super important. You've got your head around everything, you've just got to get your body moving through it all with you :) Be sure to acknowledge when you smash a task out of the park! I listed all of my assessments and then drew a nice satisfying line with a permanent marker through each as they were finished so I could visualise the process, and it served as a good reminder that I was making progress even when everything seemed to be in chaos! :)

I try my best to keep organised as I struggle even more when I can't get my head around what's going on. I definitely enjoy striking out all the assessments on my calendar.
HSC 2018

BrittyG

• Forum Regular
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2017, 12:32:56 am »
+6
Hello, it's me again,

First off, apologies are in order as I have not updated for last week, I have been super busy with assignments and my sports outside of school leading to my big competition. I am still uber stressed out and you betcha I have had some massive breakdowns in the last fortnight, there is a lot to catch up on, I left off on my incomplete PDHPE assignment and my English exam, so let's pick up from there. My PDHPE assignment was due on Friday 24th November after the whole class got an extension and I had been working on the task for the last week or so and had completed all of the components bar one which little did I know was the most time consuming involving a rehabilitation plan of a sport specific common injury and an evaluation of said rehab plan. I have officially pulled my first all-nighter of year 12. I stayed up until 5.30am doing this one section of the assignment so I could hand it in on time. My brother (Who has just completed his HSC a month ago) was flying out to Japan for his post HSC trip woke up at 4.30am to go to the airport and thought I had woken up to see him off, poor kid, I don't love you that much.

After completing my PDHPE task and handing it in I was mostly happy with what I had produced. I spent the weekend 1. procrastinating on studying for my English exam and 2. actually studying for my English exam. I had to prepare for an unseen question on discovery referencing Michael Gow's Away and one other related text in which I chose The Fault in Our Stars by John Green but the movie so I could watch it quicker, I also work well with analysing film techniques so it made sense. In the exam, I almost completed this task writing an introduction, Paragraph 1-3, 3 lines of Paragraph 4 and my conclusion, which I am happy with.

Following English came Biology which GOOD NEWS!! got extended until Friday!! BAD NEWS, I was away at my big competition on Thursday-Sunday. I had previously organised with my teacher to have the assignment emailed to her on the Friday night before 11:59:59pm but when it came to Wednesday afternoon (the day before I had left) and I still hadn't completed any part of the assignment due to training for my competition and other assignments, the Science coordinator yelled at me for not asking for an extension? I know right she actually wanted to give me an extension on top of the extension... Crazy. So I devised a plan of attack with my newly acquired extension (Until Wednesday 6th. I would forget about Biology Thursday-Sunday and focus on my Business Studies assignment due on Monday. Over the weekend, I was playing in a team of adults and was made fun of for doing my work and rightly so, who does any type of study at a competition. The answer is me, I studied the whole time at nationals why does this make a difference lol. I ended up finishing my Business Studies assignment on Saturday morning and working on some algebra equations for my general math exam on Tuesday (today).

So you know how I said I completed my Business assignment on Saturday well on Sunday morning I woke up to an email informing me that my business assignment has been moved to Wednesday 6th (same as bio) due to the industrial action strike on Monday. This whole time, I could have completed my biology assignment but wasted it on business. Monday I saw myself skipping school because of the industrial action and due to intense stomach pains, in this time I planned to get 2 parts of my biology assignment completed but failed miserably and only completed 1. I didn't bother studying anymore for math and will probably do a few questions and work on my biology assignment in my double business period as I've already completed my assignment.

In all of this, I have broken down 4 times and have eaten twice my body weight in fats and carbs but you know what? I don't care anymore lol

Breakdown count: 12

HSCya later,
Britt  8)
HSC 2018

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2017, 10:15:31 am »
+1
Hello, it's me again,

In all of this, I have broken down 4 times and have eaten twice my body weight in fats and carbs but you know what? I don't care anymore lol

Breakdown count: 12

HSCya later,
Britt  8)

Pasta <3

It sounds like you're happy to laugh about it all, the ups and downs. Or at least, I hope you can! Keep up the great work, I enjoy reading your journal :)

BrittyG

• Forum Regular
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2017, 12:52:22 am »
+5
It's been a while  :o,

I left off with an incomplete biology assignment and a math exam to be sat that day. So let's start from there I'll be as quick as possible, my Exam was out of 20 marks and was a part 2 of the first task. I got into a simultaneous equation that had poor wording and stuffed myself up on it and figured out my mistake the second I stepped out of the exam room. I lost 3 marks immediately so I'm not pleased with that at all and don't want the task back whatsoever. I worked on my bio over the last couple of days of my last update and into the 6th and completed it at 4.50am yay. I printed both Biology and English before I went to school and when I handed in my Biology task at lunchtime I could not have been happier!! All of my task 1 assignments/exams had finally been completed!!!! Woohoo!!

The 7-9th of December saw me at the Australian Catholic Youth Festival in Olympic Park. This was a life-changing experience I learnt so many things and as a previous 'no religion' supporter ( SOR ;) ) I now see how so many people lead lives of faith and how that can be a driving force in their daily lives.

2 DAYS LEFT OF TERM 1 YEAR 12:
Wowza, although very stressful it went quick. In the last two days of school for 2018, I got smashed with Summer homework (especially Biology) and received marks back for my English13/15 (loss of marks for incompletion and worded expression) and PDHPE 22/25 (loss of marks for lack examples and detail in rehabilitation plan and explanations)

2018 saw my school losing a number of teachers that have been mentoring me through my schooling since Year 7, those I really wished to have had around for my whole HSC journey. Unfortunately, the cards don't play in my favour and 7 teachers have left the school mainly due to budget cuts. (Lots of tears were shed here, they do not count towards my breakdown count)

HOLIDAYS
At the completion of Term 1, the first day of holidays I organised a list of what I needed to complete during the holidays, this list is 1 and 3/4 A4 pages long including 'learn biology term 1 syllabus' and 'learn SOR I term 1 syllabus' Hopefully I get that done before I go back or I will be in a whole world of hurt for half yearlies, I need to find motivation so any tips from the AN crew in motivation and limiting procrastination would be very helpful.

I'm going to wrap up now I've kept you long emough,
I hope everyone reading this (Elyse ;)) had a great Christmas and enjoyed the little break with family and friends and I hope everyone has a safe and Happy New Year.

Breakdown count: Still 12

HSCya later,
Britt  8)
HSC 2018

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2017, 01:35:41 am »
+1
HOLIDAYS
At the completion of Term 1, the first day of holidays I organised a list of what I needed to complete during the holidays, this list is 1 and 3/4 A4 pages long including 'learn biology term 1 syllabus' and 'learn SOR I term 1 syllabus' Hopefully I get that done before I go back or I will be in a whole world of hurt for half yearlies, I need to find motivation so any tips from the AN crew in motivation and limiting procrastination would be very helpful.

I'm going to wrap up now I've kept you long emough,
I hope everyone reading this (Elyse ;)) had a great Christmas and enjoyed the little break with family and friends and I hope everyone has a safe and Happy New Year.

Breakdown count: Still 12

HSCya later,
Britt  8)

I'm reading too! And keen to keep reading updates in 2018 ;) if you want some help learning your stuff for SOR and Bio, remember to attend our free lectures in January! :)

BrittyG

• Forum Regular
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2017, 12:02:03 pm »
+2
I'm reading too! And keen to keep reading updates in 2018 ;) if you want some help learning your stuff for SOR and Bio, remember to attend our free lectures in January! :)

Thanks for reading! :) As soon as you put the update on ATARNotes snap I was booking in for all my subjects straight away. Don't you worry, I'll be there!   ;D ;D
HSC 2018