Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 01:50:42 pm

Author Topic: English Extension 1 Question Thread  (Read 151095 times)  Share 

TheFreeMarketeer

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +9
Re: English Extension 1 Question Thread
« Reply #315 on: October 29, 2017, 09:51:39 pm »
6 texts? Woah.

icedragon66

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Normanhurst Boys High School
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #316 on: October 29, 2017, 09:57:41 pm »
Haha not 6 texts (I wish), just 4 texts with a different structure that is half integrated

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #317 on: October 29, 2017, 11:27:49 pm »
With Extension 1 essays being the most ambivalent and subject to convoluted questions, I'm surprised some of you are heading in with planned responses.

I actually do have a question - the story I have composed explores the Cold War angst through the famous 1972 Chess World Championship between Bobby Fischer (America) and Boris Spassky (Russia) and how this was a platform for the continuation of the Cold War and the attempts of one nation out-smarting the other.

I feel however that a lot of markers won't understand it and appreciate it, mainly because it is such a niche aspect of history, let alone the Cold War. I also feel that in order to appreciate this story, there is a need to understand, even briefly, the facts surrounding it whereas I feel the markers might just consider it a fabrication.

It's interesting because Bobby Fischer broke a long line of Soviet dominance in chess and was persuaded into playing by Henry Kissinger, a famous US diplomat. In fact, it's stated that Nixon and Brezhnev would watch the matches in their respective offices. Anyway, I don't really mean to ramble but I like the concept and feel it sheds light on an esoteric way in which the Cold War was fought.

Any thoughts guys? Thanks.

I have to say - this interests me A LOT! It sounds insane - a chess game being a metanarrative for a far grander scheme of historical events - I LOVE IT!

Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
« Reply #318 on: October 30, 2017, 11:00:04 am »
Hey Elyse :) if you get this in time i have a new para i want to include in my story that i wrote on saturday. I wanted to include a para in about the abolition of the slave trade to give my story more historical legitimacy. it's written by the main character (who is a first mate on the ship)'s wife and i'm just wondering if you think it is a good contextual link for the story and also whether it is ok since it is the only bit she writes in it because the rest is diary entries from the guy. i just dont know if it will look inconsistent i just needed a different take from the ship and thought something from someone in britain at the time would suit?

Lucy Kelsall’s Journal
Freedom is drawing ever closer for the unfortunate souls to which my dearest James has had the abhorrent task of transporting. Lord Grenville passionately plead for the end of the injustice, arguing the trade to be contrary to the principles of righteousness, humanity and sound policy. Fortunately, the House of Commons passed the Abolition of the Slave Trade Bill by 114 votes to 15 on the 25th of March. Alas, the social and political aristocracy still favour slavery, for they perceive it to be vital to the economic interests of the nation. I can only hold faith that such greed is lost and that the Government can swiftly end this unimaginable atrocity!
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

Mary_a

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #319 on: October 31, 2017, 12:34:03 pm »
Hey! I think most of us here are just memorising quotes for the essay! Most of us, however, are going in with a prepared creative because it is hard unless you are gifted to write in the style of the period on the spot, but of course it's important to write something adaptable and to know how to adapt it to all the stimulus's that have been tested so far. As to your question I would say that if your story is highly different that could seriously work in your favour as markers mark so many papers and would likely find your story highly original and sophisticated. I am speaking from a Romantic student's view though so maybe someone who does your elective will disagree, but that's my thoughts!

I definitely didn't have a prepared! Just memorised quotes and basic points. I feel like prepared responses are so restrictive
Hey!
I did the HSC last year (2017) and my 10 units were English Advanced, English Extension 1, English Extension 2, Legal Studies, Maths and Studies of Religion 2. I achieved my ATAR aim of over 90!

I loved tutoring and running essay writing workshops (privately and at InFlow Education) so much that I decided to study a Bachelor of Secondary Education, majoring in English and minoring in Maths!

If you're thinking about tutoring, let me know x

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
  • Respect: +126
« Reply #320 on: October 31, 2017, 12:43:08 pm »
I definitely didn't have a prepared! Just memorised quotes and basic points. I feel like prepared responses are so restrictive

How'd you go! How much did you write?
HSC subjects
Advanced English | Extension 1 English | Extension 2 English | Legal Studies | PDHPE | Society and Culture | General 2 Maths

Need HSC tutoring, mentoring or essay marking? I'm offering all of that online! Check out all the offers, pricing and details here https://bandsevenhsctutoring.wordpress.com/blog/ and feel free to get in contact with me if you want any more info :)

Mary_a

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #321 on: October 31, 2017, 01:55:29 pm »
+1
How'd you go! How much did you write?

Ten pages for essay, eight for creative! I do have big writing though
Hey!
I did the HSC last year (2017) and my 10 units were English Advanced, English Extension 1, English Extension 2, Legal Studies, Maths and Studies of Religion 2. I achieved my ATAR aim of over 90!

I loved tutoring and running essay writing workshops (privately and at InFlow Education) so much that I decided to study a Bachelor of Secondary Education, majoring in English and minoring in Maths!

If you're thinking about tutoring, let me know x

bananna

• Trendsetter
« Reply #322 on: November 04, 2017, 09:14:55 am »
Hi

I am stressing over the conckusion I wrote for the hsc.

I completed it. And I decided to add something like “as Denise Lessing states.” Something like that.

But I didn’t have time finish writing it, so I crossed it out.

But turns out, I crossed a little off my previous concluding sentence as well.

The marker came round and I asked her what I should do, and she just said pack it away.

So I did

But I’m stressing because it was my last line and I’m scared they’re gonna think of my essay as incomplete.

Please tell me will I lose mars, for it?

I drew a little line like where I was meant to end it but I’m stil so scared.

Thank you

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
« Reply #323 on: November 04, 2017, 10:37:41 am »
Hi

I am stressing over the conckusion I wrote for the hsc.

I completed it. And I decided to add something like “as Denise Lessing states.” Something like that.

But I didn’t have time finish writing it, so I crossed it out.

But turns out, I crossed a little off my previous concluding sentence as well.

The marker came round and I asked her what I should do, and she just said pack it away.

So I did

But I’m stressing because it was my last line and I’m scared they’re gonna think of my essay as incomplete.

Please tell me will I lose mars, for it?

I drew a little line like where I was meant to end it but I’m stil so scared.

Thank you

Sounds honestly like nothing! I would not worry at all! :)
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

theyam

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #324 on: November 04, 2017, 07:11:14 pm »
Hey guys,

I'm the 2018 cohort and I was wondering when i should start brainstorming for my ext 1 creative, because I'm pretty bad at them. Any advice on extension creatives by the way (and how they differ from advanced ones) ?

Thanks guys!

bananna

• Trendsetter
« Reply #325 on: November 04, 2017, 08:43:55 pm »
+2
Hey guys,

I'm the 2018 cohort and I was wondering when i should start brainstorming for my ext 1 creative, because I'm pretty bad at them. Any advice on extension creatives by the way (and how they differ from advanced ones) ?

Thanks guys!

Hey,

I think its a great idea to start brainstorming ideas now. However, extension creatives require an extensive understanding of the module and time period, and that takes time (in-class and personal research.) If you believe you have a solid understanding of the era, go for it, otherwise do a bit more research before you start :)

Extension creatives are obviously longer than advanced creatives, since you get more time, (and need this time to really articulate your ideas.) I did ATB, and find you're not as limited with E1 creatives (idea-wise, since the time-period is so large.) With advanced English, I reckon you need to really get to the point, but with E1, your idea can be really simple, but be really philosophically heavy, or can be really complex. Also, I found that with E1, I was really influenced by my prescribed texts.

Hope I helped :D

Annabel

Lumenoria

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +85
English Extension 1 Question Thread
« Reply #326 on: November 08, 2017, 04:45:42 pm »
Hi,
I'm in Year 12 doing After the Bomb for English Ext and I've started reading White Noise by Don Delillo with the mentality of using it as my ORT for the essay. However, I'm at a loss atm because my teacher did some research on the novel and said since it's set in 1984, it's too far out of the ideal time period (1950s-1960s) so she reckons I should steer away from it. She even went to the head teacher to confirm her thoughts, but personally I don't agree—because the novel never explicitly mentions when it's set. Plus, it addresses great existentialist concerns and the sense of distrust and anxiety that are really pertinent to the module (and will be especially pertinent when compared to Waiting for Gadot), so I think it's a well fleshed out ORT. The head teacher said that she would avoid it just to be in the safe net, but I mean theoretically the cold war era ended in 1991, so I don't really understand the issue as long as the text addresses the relevant ways of thinking? I do, to some extent, see their argument but at the same time, I've heard and read a lot of exemplar essays using the novel as their ORT who have done exceedingly well. Plus, it's thoroughly recommended on the ATAR notes and BoredofStudies forums so I'm at a bit of a loss as to whether I should just do it against my teachers' advices or just start anew with an entirely different related. Any advice?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 04:48:31 pm by Lumenoria »
HSC 2018 (ATAR 96.35) - English Advanced (96) | Mathematics General (87) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (89) | Industrial Technology (94)

LochNess Monster

• Forum Regular
  • I speak Chinglish!
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #327 on: January 19, 2018, 08:37:25 am »
Dear ATAR Notes,

I was wondering if one of the lectureres/tutors could please mark this essay?

I handed it in as my teacher called it a "practise task" during Term 1 but I'm unsure how this would of went in an exam....(Not too well, I expect. My writing's kind of convoluted.

Sorry! ;) But I hope someone can help me officially read this, tell me what I could do better, where I went wrong, what mark it would be and why, etc.

p.s I'm currently doing After the Bomb elective.

Kind regards,
worried
ATAR: 89.55
⸜( ˙ ˘ ˙)/ ・゚☆✧ Sometimes wrong numbers are the right numbers ~ Cecelia Ahern

☽ “But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.” - Yeats

jamsey

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #328 on: February 22, 2018, 07:25:00 pm »
Hi,
I was wondering what the "ways of thinking" are present in the Spy Who Came in from the Cold in accordance with the syllabus?

Thanks.

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #329 on: February 22, 2018, 11:11:36 pm »
Hi,
I was wondering what the "ways of thinking" are present in the Spy Who Came in from the Cold in accordance with the syllabus?

Thanks.

Hey Jamsey - there's a lot of things at play here. I personally didn't like the text (I still whimpered at the end though) so I didn't study it too deeply and focused on my other two. But - one of the ways of thinking centred around the way the state and the individual have this dutiful relationship - and then to some kind of irony, one fails to protect the other, when the other devoted life to protecting one. You could talk about ways of thinking when it comes to relationships as well - emotions. The relationship with Liz is a shiny light of human emotion in a cold time. :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!