Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:05:10 pm

Author Topic: Driver's Licence and Employment  (Read 1978 times)  Share 

Kekemato_BAP

• Forum Regular
  • Keep calm and study more
  • Respect: 0
Driver's Licence and Employment
« on: June 23, 2017, 07:29:20 pm »
I am 17 and never applied for a driver's licence. I live directly opposite a train station. I want to work in the business commerce industry.

I've done some reading and saw that most employers won't employ carless people.
Will I need a driver's licence to be considered for a position?
I currently have a NSW Photocard that expires in 2022, and you can only have either a Photocard or a Driver's Licence until either expires.

Should I get a driver's licence ASAP by cancelling my Photocard or wait until 2022.
TBH the idea of driving scares the shit out of me.
Any advice would help
Hello

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Driver's Licence and Employment
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 07:31:47 pm »
+2
Hey Kekemato! In honesty I have no idea about the first part of your question, but I don't imagine being carless would be an issue! Surely it's just about getting to work on time right? If that's by train, who cares! :)

Also, driving isn't scary! Get your parents to take you to a quieter suburb (go West or South) of a Sunday afternoon, and just have a go. Maybe pay for a few lessons to boost your confidence. It's a little nerve wracking at first, but trust me, nothing to be scared of! ;D

spectroscopy

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +373
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 09:26:51 pm »
+2
i think you should learn to drive when you can but just because driving is a useful skill to have. it completely changes how you can live your life to be able to go out and get a kebab at 2am and be back home in 10 minutes.  but to answer your question, no you won't need a license for those jobs. most office jobs do not care at all how you get to work, and if it requires moving around/going to visit clients or something then they will almost always pay for a taxi or you could take public transport

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 09:29:28 pm »
+1
Jobs that require you to travel etc will require you to have a car. Usually this will be stated in the position description / job requirements though... so I would not worry too much :)

I think getting your license is important to independence.. rather than having to rely on others for transport. When I got my license, I felt great because I did my 120hrs and it took me around 2 and a half years to do.. since I don't have a large family and with their work etc it was tough to find the time. It's a milestone. Take it one step at a time.

and yes... kebabs and maccas runs. Come on.
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 09:45:27 pm »
Jobs that require you to travel etc will require you to have a car. Usually this will be stated in the position description / job requirements though... so I would not worry too much :)

I think getting your license is important to independence.. rather than having to rely on others for transport. When I got my license, I felt great because I did my 120hrs and it took me around 2 and a half years to do.. since I don't have a large family and with their work etc it was tough to find the time. It's a milestone. Take it one step at a time.

and yes... kebabs and maccas runs. Come on.
First thing I did when I got my P's was a maccas run :') The freedom that having a licence and a car gives you is unbelievable.
I agree with Aaron. When you achieve your 120 hours, it's definitely a milestone. It shows that you've worked hard, and it's a rewarding feeling :)

The thing about learning to drive is, you're not expected to be a confident driver on your first go. That's why you have a supervising driver there. The first time I drove on my L's, I don't think I went above 60 km/h. My first few hours of experience were made up of ~10 minute drives on quiet streets. You gradually become more confident in your ability, and you become a better driver. When I first got my L's, if you had have told me I'd be able to drive in the city, drive to the airport, and just generally drive in busy traffic or something else, I probably wouldn't have believed you! Now, it's no stress, and I actually really enjoy driving. :) Practice makes perfect!

In terms of jobs though, Aaron has it spot on. Employers will usually specify if they require you to have a licence, and otherwise, they don't care how you get to work - as long as you get there, all is well!

S200

• Part of the furniture
  • Yeah well that happened...
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 09:59:48 pm »
A little off topic, but this is the closest thread I've seen to my question... :D
Does any1 know what happens if you lose your license on your L's??
Do you have to start again, or what??

And P.S. Kekemato... Driving is great fun. After about three drives you'll be wanting to go for a heap more!!
Carpe Vinum

\(\LaTeX\) - \(e^{\pi i }\)
#ThanksRui! - #Rui\(^2\) - #Jamon10000

5233718311 :D

S200

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 10:45:43 pm »
If I may ask...how did you lose your licence?
Do you mean lose lose or suspended lose?  :o
As in suspended lose...
Haven't actually lost it... Just didn't see a Camera, and am now hanging on to 2 points for the next twelve months...  :-[
Carpe Vinum

S200

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 11:04:03 pm »
I'm pretty sure they won't make you start again since you technically had hours behind the wheel.
You might just get some sort of formal warning for future suspensions, and your bank balance takes a hit.
It's best you ask your parents or someone with long driving experience.  :P
Ha! You got the Bank part right!!
Fam's prolly not good for advice... I think most of my Bro's have lost their license at least once...
And dad's only just got his back... :D

But none have ever been caught on their L's... I always was the most up to date one!! ;)
Carpe Vinum

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2017, 11:19:32 pm »
+2
Ha! You got the Bank part right!!
Fam's prolly not good for advice... I think most of my Bro's have lost their license at least once...
And dad's only just got his back... :D

But none have ever been caught on their L's... I always was the most up to date one!! ;)
Might be best to go into/call VicRoads and ask them :) I would give this a read too: https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/licences/demerit-points-and-offences/about-demerit-points
Seems like you just receive a period of suspension if you reach your demerit point limit (4 for learners, iirc).
If you only have 2 demerit points, I might suggest not speeding and taking extra care to abide by the law whilst you drive. It's not my place to lecture people, but learning how to use the road safely is incredibly important, as when you're driving you're responsible for the safety of not only yourself but also the occupants of your car, and you have a duty to not endanger the lives of other road users.

S200

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2017, 11:23:19 pm »
Might be best to go into/call VicRoads and ask them :) I would give this a read too: https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/licences/demerit-points-and-offences/about-demerit-points
Seems like you just receive a period of suspension if you reach your demerit point limit (4 for learners, iirc).
If you only have 2 demerit points, I might suggest not speeding and taking extra care to abide by the law whilst you drive. It's not my place to lecture people, but learning how to use the road safely is incredibly important, as when you're driving you're responsible for the safety of not only yourself but also the occupants of your car, and you have a duty to not endanger the lives of other road users.
Yup...
I'll be cooling my heels for a while... :D
Unfortunately I don't recon that L platers are allowed onto formal tracks to burn off speed... ;D
Carpe Vinum

S200

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2017, 11:38:24 pm »
There's always Mario Kart on Wii, the legal way to do burnouts and throw bombs at cars.  :P
LOL :D

On my first drive it was like "Wow... This isn't so different from Midtown Madness!!!" :P
Carpe Vinum

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2017, 12:02:16 am »
+4
I love this thread.

To the OP:

I don't think it's true that most employers would want you to have a car. Virtually anyone who works in the CBD catches the train in because of lack of parking - for more professional work, I doubt it matters.

Obviously, if your job requires travelling - some sort of sales rep or whatever else - then you've got no chance if you're carless haha.

Regarding being scared - I FEEL YOU BRO/SIS.

I didn't even get my L plates until I was 18.

Didn't get my P's until well after I turned 21, and didn't even get a car until I was 22.

So trust me, I was in your situation - and in your future situation as well if nothing changes. My advice to you would be PAY FOR A BLOODY DRIVING INSTRUCTOR ASAP. Makes you way more comfortable. Just drive drive drive.

Seriously. You are GOING to get your license eventually. Which means NO MATTER WHAT YOU WILL BE DRIVING WHEN YOU ARE SCARED. You may as well do it now before it disadvantages you the least. For example, I was working full-time before I even got my first driving lesson, and getting enough hours behind the wheel to become competent was a lot harder than it would have been if I did it when I was in high-school.

NOOOOO MATTTERRR WHAATTTTT you're going to go through the discomfort. Just go through it now, seriously. You won't regret it.
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️