Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:27:46 pm

Author Topic: How can Universities better support VCE students  (Read 4887 times)  Share 

stephbiancos

• No edit/delete
  • Fresh Poster
  • Respect: +1
How can Universities better support VCE students
« on: June 23, 2013, 04:53:09 pm »
+4
Hi everyone,

My name is Stephanie Biancos and I work in Melbourne Uni's student engagement team.

We are looking for ways to help current VCE students to make better course selection decisions, and also improve our support to VCE students in general.

So I was wondering if AN'ers can help us out by providing some feedback on:
  • Whether you feel you have all the information to make an informed decision on Uni and course selection
  • If not, any suggestions for what kinds of information you would like to have
  • What factors do you feel are negatively affecting your study performance (could be anything, ie motivation, procrastination, inadequate teaching materials, pressure from parents etc)
  • What kind of resources would you like to alleviate the factors from above

Any other comments and questions are also very welcome.

I realise some members may want to provide feedback anonymously. If so, please PM me. Moreover, the privacy of all information collected here (including your username) will be strictly protected and will not be used to identify you.

Thank you,
Stephanie Biancos

abeybaby

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +182
  • School: Scotch College
  • School Grad Year: 2010
Re: How can Universities better support VCE students
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 05:38:19 pm »
+1
i remember when i was in year 12, i wanted to plan out all my subjects before choosing to biomed so that i knew what i was getting myself into. i went to the ERC student desk and asked for some help with course planning, and the response i received was to look at the handbook. i was trying to explain that i had already looked at the handbook, and i was so clueless because i knew nothing about university. she insisted that i just look at the handbook.
perhaps having someone who could sit down with students individually and help them plan out their course could be really helpful.

Smarter VCE Lectures and Resources

2014-2017: Doctor of Medicine, University of Sydney.
2011-2013: Bachelor of Biomedicine, University of Melbourne. 2010 ATAR: 99.85

stephbiancos

• No edit/delete
  • Fresh Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 06:00:46 pm »
perhaps having someone who could sit down with students individually and help them plan out their course could be really helpful.

Thank you abeybaby. Yes we are looking at better ways for current students to speak to VCE students so you guys can get information from firsthand experience. We realise that open days are probably a bit rushed and awkward for a meaningful conversation.

walkec

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 08:09:47 pm »
1) structure your website like Monash university's so you can look at overall course structure and contact hours and style of assessments.
2) also have a system on your website like Monash's MUTTS so prospective students can gauge an idea of how many contact hours they would have.

Stick

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Sticky. :P
  • Respect: +467
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 08:18:29 pm »
+9
I'm completely clueless as to how attending university even works. What's a lecture? A tutorial? How do they work? How are they structured? What sort of things do I need? What do I do? I get that university is all about independent learning and all, but the transition may be easier and more effective for jaffies if there was a one off "all you need to know about going to university" guide or something. Or is there stuff like that already available? lol
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 08:24:12 pm by Stick »
2017-2020: Doctor of Medicine - The University of Melbourne
2014-2016: Bachelor of Biomedicine - The University of Melbourne

McFleurry

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +4
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 08:26:09 pm »
what walkec said

I think there should be more information on what can be learnt in a course, say commerce.
Sure, there are guides and all that, but they only seem to be telling us what is the cut-off score, where to go from there, general contact hours and some current students talking about their experiences. There's just not enough on what is actually taught. (or is it just me?)
"Never mistake motion for action". ~ Ernest Hemingway

Biomedical Sciences/Law @ Monash

stephbiancos

• No edit/delete
  • Fresh Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 02:50:27 pm »
Thanks for all the feedback guys.

McFleurry: Yes, we have had feedback about giving students more of an idea with actual course content. But even within 1 course, the nature of the course content varies with each unit you take, so we are mindful that an accurate representation of the course content may not be possible (or at least not in a succinct form anyway).
However, I will definitely pass that on to our manager.

Stick: Absolutely, I think that is an area we need to explain better. The guide is a great idea and definitely something we will look into. We may actually put up page on our website with clips of actual lectures and tutorials, so you may understand their structure and purpose a bit better.

Walkec: Great ideas. Another team within the Uni makes decisions like that, but I can pass those comments along. Re: Contact hours, I think that information may be available already.

Also, I tried to login last night and found myself banned mysteriously. If there are rules about what can be discussed in this forum which is broken by this post, can someone kindly point them out to me first rather than immediately reporting this for banning?

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +307
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 03:40:37 pm »
+1
Also, I tried to login last night and found myself banned mysteriously. If there are rules about what can be discussed in this forum which is broken by this post, can someone kindly point them out to me first rather than immediately reporting this for banning?

You were not actively banned by anyone. You have been using proxy IPs located offshore. Many offshore IPs fall under a ban designed to combat spambots. You were able to post again once you switched to a different proxy.

Edit: Removed second part of this post so people don't get the wrong idea.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 04:47:30 pm by Fyrefly »
|| BComm + DipLang (Jap) @ Monash ||

chasej

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +56
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 04:27:20 pm »
+1
Unless UoM doesn't list all their staff on their directory than UoM does not employ anyone by the name of Stephanie Biancos. As per this link: http://directory.unimelb.edu.au/?name=Stephanie+Biancos

Edit: Further debunking the OP, UoM doesn't seem to maintain any sort of student engagement department or team as per this link http://directory.unimelb.edu.au/?name=&dept=Student+Engagement&email=&phone=

If someone wanted to look into this further they could probably call the university themselves.

/Internet sleuthing
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 04:32:36 pm by Crocco »
Graduated with Bachelor of Laws (Honours) / Bachelor of Arts from Monash University in June 2020.

Completing Practical Legal Training (Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice)

Offering 2021 Tutoring in VCE Legal Studies (Awarded as Bialik College's top Legal Studies Student in 2014).

Offered via Zoom or in person across Melbourne.  Message me to discuss. Very limited places available.

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +307
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 04:45:46 pm »
Unless UoM doesn't list all their staff on their directory than UoM does not employ anyone by the name of Stephanie Biancos. As per this link: http://directory.unimelb.edu.au/?name=Stephanie+Biancos

Edit: Further debunking the OP, UoM doesn't seem to maintain any sort of student engagement department or team as per this link http://directory.unimelb.edu.au/?name=&dept=Student+Engagement&email=&phone=

If someone wanted to look into this further they could probably call the university themselves.

/Internet sleuthing

Err... It wasn't really my intention to start some sort of weird manhunt :-\
Please don't ostracise her.

It's just that when members publicly bring up an issue like being banned, we generally respond to it publicly so as to not appear secretive... we don't want to look like we're doing dodgy stuff behind closed doors. Please don't read anything more into it than that.
|| BComm + DipLang (Jap) @ Monash ||

enwiabe

• Putin
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +529
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2013, 04:58:22 pm »
+9
This thread is locked until "Stephanie Biancos" e-mails [email protected] with their UoM staff e-mail confirming the validity of this thread.

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2013, 02:39:39 pm »
+9
I have contacted UoM about this and received this response today:

Good afternoon Nina

Thank you for providing your feedback to the University of Melbourne.

We have over 6,000 employees at the University of Melbourne so I’ve made a number of attempts to identify whether Steph Biancos is currently a paid employee.

I have not been able to confirm this so I recommend that you keep the thread locked.

If you have any further questions, please call me.

Kind regards

Lee Johnson
Service Delivery Manager
13 MELB Contact Centre
Student Services
The University Of Melbourne

Don't be too trusting of people on the internet!
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]