Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 09:01:38 pm

Author Topic: HSC w/ a stresshead {class of '19}  (Read 14875 times)

meerae

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Trendsetter
  • wack.
  • Respect: +86
Re: HSC w/ a stresshead {class of '19}
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2019, 05:08:41 pm »
+7
Helloooo everyone,

so sorry for literally neglecting this space. I have about 8 weeks until my first English trial and I am starting to freak out because I have been doing literally nothing and have SOO much to do...

So to bring you all up to speed, I had my last eco task before trials last week and I am super confident about the essay component, I predicted the exact essay that came in so I was over prepared and had way too much fun writing the essay in the exam.

I have legal and math x1 next week, and English adv and x2 in week 9. I have to edit my x2 major work and draft out my reflection while also write my CCP by week 9 and I haven't begun doing any of that...

Also, I made a nice little list of everything I have to do before trials, but I've been procrastinating soo much. I can sit all day and watch HTGAWM or The Office but I can barely clock in an hour of maths.

Today was a public holiday; I managed to do about 3 hours of maths and an hour of legal. I'm planning to watch Hamlet tonight for x1 whilst also work on my adv English essay so I can produce a draft by the end of the week.

Weirdly though, I still haven't received my x2 lit review mark and am still waiting on that, which I'm going to check up on tomorrow to see when we're getting that back.

Overall, I wish I was more productive but I feel like I'm getting towards the final stretch and it's making me way lazy. Any tips to regain my motivation, especially with the 3 week break coming up??

Okay, I'm off to do a past paper for maths! Wish me luck.

peace out,
meerae :)
2018 hsc; mathematics
2019 hsc; english adv english ext 1&2 math ext 1 legal studies economics

HSC w/ a stresshead {class of'19}

r1ckworthy

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +305
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2019, 08:17:44 pm »
+2
Helloooo everyone,

so sorry for literally neglecting this space. I have about 8 weeks until my first English trial and I am starting to freak out because I have been doing literally nothing and have SOO much to do...

So to bring you all up to speed, I had my last eco task before trials last week and I am super confident about the essay component, I predicted the exact essay that came in so I was over prepared and had way too much fun writing the essay in the exam.

I have legal and math x1 next week, and English adv and x2 in week 9. I have to edit my x2 major work and draft out my reflection while also write my CCP by week 9 and I haven't begun doing any of that...

Also, I made a nice little list of everything I have to do before trials, but I've been procrastinating soo much. I can sit all day and watch HTGAWM or The Office but I can barely clock in an hour of maths.

Today was a public holiday; I managed to do about 3 hours of maths and an hour of legal. I'm planning to watch Hamlet tonight for x1 whilst also work on my adv English essay so I can produce a draft by the end of the week.

Weirdly though, I still haven't received my x2 lit review mark and am still waiting on that, which I'm going to check up on tomorrow to see when we're getting that back.

Overall, I wish I was more productive but I feel like I'm getting towards the final stretch and it's making me way lazy. Any tips to regain my motivation, especially with the 3 week break coming up??

Okay, I'm off to do a past paper for maths! Wish me luck.

peace out,
Hey! So glad you popped back to your journal, can't wait for future updates ;D

I don't know about you, but the feeling and thought that trials are like 56 days ahead is kind of scary. I guess what we can kind of do is just to study (obvious I know).

In terms of motivation, there is this really good video:
You should watch the whole thing, it's so valuable. I love the part about motivation especially, where even if you feel tired you just keep pushing, just keep going.

Hopefully that provides some helpful advice on motivation!! I know how you feel about losing productivity, I haven't done much during the long weekend, feel so guilty :-\ :-\ :-\. Anyways, I've think I've got back to regular studying right now, which is great!

BTW out of interest, what is your maths extension 1 class upto? My maths ext.1 class only has 7 people, of which 6 have already completed the 2U course last year, so my teacher is teaching the 3U course and we are almost finished (upto to binomial probability, and circle geo is left to do). Although RIP for that one guy who hasn't, he has so many gaps in his knowledge in 2U and 3U maths.

Another piece of advice I found so helpful (boosted my productivity up so much) was not touching any social media or youtube for the whole day unless I have completed my goals. So when I don't feel like studying, I can't access any social media, Netflix or youtube, so I just become soo bored until I actually start to work. Right now, I just resist the temptation too watching youtube or any social media, but if the urge is too much, then I'll use a website blocker (cold turkey app) to block it. It's been really effective for me, because if I don't feel like studying, I just sit there with nothing to do, and I'll become so bored that I'll start to do work. Try it out, it might be of use to you ;D ;D ;D

Good luck for your paper! Hopefully these tidbits of advice are really helpful to you!
HSC 2019: English Advanced || Mathematics || Mathematics Extension 1 || Physics || Chemistry || Science Extension || Ancient History ||

Bachelor of Physiotherapy @ ACU

The Yr12 journey- a diary I "hope" to update... || Halfway through Year 12... lessons I've learned so far. || Check out my youtube channel!

meerae

• Trendsetter
  • wack.
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2019, 10:20:34 pm »
I don't know about you, but the feeling and thought that trials are like 56 days ahead is kind of scary. I guess what we can kind of do is just to study (obvious I know).

BTW out of interest, what is your maths extension 1 class upto? My maths ext.1 class only has 7 people, of which 6 have already completed the 2U course last year, so my teacher is teaching the 3U course and we are almost finished (upto to binomial probability, and circle geo is left to do). Although RIP for that one guy who hasn't, he has so many gaps in his knowledge in 2U and 3U maths.

Another piece of advice I found so helpful (boosted my productivity up so much) was not touching any social media or youtube for the whole day unless I have completed my goals. So when I don't feel like studying, I can't access any social media, Netflix or youtube, so I just become soo bored until I actually start to work. Right now, I just resist the temptation too watching youtube or any social media, but if the urge is too much, then I'll use a website blocker (cold turkey app) to block it. It's been really effective for me, because if I don't feel like studying, I just sit there with nothing to do, and I'll become so bored that I'll start to do work. Try it out, it might be of use to you ;D ;D ;D

Good luck for your paper! Hopefully these tidbits of advice are really helpful to you!

Hey, r1ckworthy!

Honestly, even as an accelerated student, I'm still sooo scared for trials and English right now is my worst mark, so I'm really relying on trials to boost that mark :/

Right now in ext1 we're just about to finish the course with further applications of calculus, we're finishing up SHM and projectile motion this week. My whole ext class is accelerated 2u except for one person as well, but my teacher has really tried to have us at the same kind of pace as the 2u class so it doesn't make the non-acc person confused.

I'll definitely check that video out and the social media tip! I'll let you know how it goes!

peace out,
2018 hsc; mathematics

meerae

• Trendsetter
  • wack.
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2019, 08:21:11 pm »
+5
heyhey,

So we got eco marks this week, I got 28/35 for the task, coming 4th for the task but still 3rd overall. I'm not too happy with it but I lost all my marks from doubting myself in the MC which sucks.

I also had legal this week and I feel pretty confident about it, hopefully I do super well in that.

Next week I have x2 English, adv English and x1 maths so I'm pretty excited for that.

I have a three week trial period from the 5th of August and I'm freaking out about how I'm going to study and get everything done, in the spoiler is my trial timetable, and its pretty similar to my HSC exam timetable.
Spoiler
5th Aug: English Paper 1
6th Aug: English Paper 2
13th Aug: Legal Studies
15th Aug: English x1
16th Aug: Economics
23rd Aug: Submission Day for x2 MW
26th Aug: x1 Maths

I'm off to write adv English now.

peace out,
2018 hsc; mathematics

meerae

• Trendsetter
  • wack.
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2019, 09:38:00 pm »
+3
Ahhhhh, hello everyone

Legal was super good, I wrote 25 pages despite kinda injuring my hand from WRITING the day before, I got 39/40 and am coming still coming first with an average of 97%. I'm so happy about this because legal is my best subject and I absolutely love studying for it, I only have trials now. I am also considering doing a sort of guide of stuff Ive learnt on effective studying habits for legal, but we'll see if I have the time.

I also received my English x2 CCP, I got 14/15 and am still coming second by ONE percent :(

Right now, I am waiting on English Adv, which I won't be getting until first day back next term because my teacher likes to give feedback before the marks and math x1, which I am kind of worried about because everyone found it so easy and I had troubles in loads of questions.

I've been sticking to a study plan that I created for these holidays, which includes waking up and doing an x1 trial each day and then doing notes/writing essays/editing my MW during the day.

I'm aiming for 85% in my trials across the board, excluding legal where I have high hopes for a 90... maybe 95?
I think I am aiming WAAY too high, and my study habits aren't reflecting the marks I'm trying to do, but I really am trying to balance work with relaxing.
Which is why a typical day is; breakfast, math x1 trial, one of my tasks, break, lunch, another task, break, dinner, last task of the day, break.
but it feels like I waste so much time, especially because I don't measure my study by hours, except by how many tasks I accomplish in the day (which is usually 3-4, including my math trial)

Tomorrow, I have the English Adv lecture and unfortunately, its the only lecture I can make in this series, which absolutely sucks. I was so excited to learn something from Isaac for eco, but instead I have to send a friend to take (hopefully) extensive notes for me, so that I can still kind of learn something.
My school is being super supportive and is holding holiday classes throughout the next two weeks for us, which is super amazing and so far has been a great help.

Thats all I really have to update on for now

Peace out,
2018 hsc; mathematics

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2019, 04:26:18 pm »
How have you found sticking to the study plan in general? Difficult, or easy to keep with it?

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

meerae

• Trendsetter
  • wack.
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2019, 05:08:20 pm »
How have you found sticking to the study plan in general? Difficult, or easy to keep with it?

Hey Nick!

So far, I've been pretty good at sticking to it, especially because ive put it in a 'to-do' list kinda form, so it makes me super happy to tick off tasks when they're completed.
Hopefully I can stick with it for the next week and a bit so I can have a great chance at acing trials.

2018 hsc; mathematics

meerae

• Trendsetter
  • wack.
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2019, 03:11:47 pm »
+5
Okaaaaay after neglecting this space for ages, I have decided to come back.

So trial period was not as stressful as I expected it to be, either that or I'm getting a lot better at managing my stress (which I really do owe to my amazing head English teacher and all the motivational speeches). I was really worried that trials was going to totally ruin my marks and my ATAR was going to go down a drain, but I was wrong.

Our trial period went for 3 weeks and a day. I only mention the day because I had an exam, and it was my last every internal exam. I began my HSC journey with a math exam, and ended it with one... which I find kinda symbolic and stuff (but it could just be the English student in me).

To fill you all in with what's happened over the past three months;
I handed in my English ext2 major, and was told that my reflection was pretty good, but I am personally unsure about my actual major, and marking is super subjective, so lets hope for a high band e3, but an e4 would be amazing because then I wouldn't have both eco units count to my ATAR....

My worst rank in trials was 5th, for math ext 1, which im personally very proud of. And I think I ended both trials and overall intervals pretty well, just need to pull through for the next two weeks (personally cannot wait).

Unfortunately I have not graduated yet, or had my formal. My school waits until after HSC exams to get both of these things done, so I am still counting down the days to actually officially graduate :(

My trial marks were;

English Advanced - 91/100 (3rd place)
English Extension One - 43/50 (2nd place)
Mathematics Extension One - 70/100 (5th place)
Economics - 84/100 (1st place)
Legal Studies - 92/100 (3rd place)

I am most disappointed for legal, as it was my worst mark all year, and I didn't even find the exam that hard.
These marks put my final internals at

English Advanced - 88% (7/62)
English Extension One - 89% (2/12)
English Extension Two - 93% (2/5)
Mathematics Extension One - 69% (5/12)
Economics - 86% (2/15)
Legal Studies - 95% (1/58)

Overall, I'm pretty proud of how half this whole journey ended, now I just gotta push a little more and (hopefully) see great results on the other side.

I think majority of my stress comes from English advanced, as I really want to band 6 that and extension, I just hope I can replicate what I did in trials in the HSC, even if I feel like I can't

So, good luck to everyone for the next month, absolutely cannot wait to finish!

peace out,

« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 02:28:11 pm by meerae »
2018 hsc; mathematics

meerae

• Trendsetter
  • wack.
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2019, 09:44:25 pm »
+6
Okay so there is about 60 hours left until English paper one...

I wish I could say I was freaking the hell out and I am so stressed I can barely study, but for some reason I don't feel anything like the way I expected.
I genuinely expected to be so stressed that I could barely talk and I'd have to bring out some  Bach or something to calm me down (worked before legal, don't @ me), but I don't feel like I need any of that, I made a nice playlist on Spotify and the second I feel my heart racing, I just put it on and let myself calm down.

I worked on memorising common module content all today, I plan to do mod a and b tomorrow and do common again on Wednesday, hopefully that all works out and I don't procrastinate like crazy (which has weirdly become a thing a week before HSC?)

I feel like I'm not stressing out as much as I was last year because I've done a HSC exam before? Like I know how it feels and I know that its not too different from our normal internal exams, also the fact that I'm sitting a new syllabus is weirdly comforting?

I feel like I'm freaking out more because my sister is going to watch Love Island before I can on Wednesday/Thursday night...

I feel like if I can just repeat what I did in my trials I'll be fine, and I think I can do just that, just gotta work for a little bit longer. It also helps that I've been helping the rest of my cohort and giving them advice/helping out, which helps my understanding as well.
I also don't have another exam until English Ext one (which is on the first of November, so I get to chill a bit)

I will let you know if anything gets worse in regard to my stress hehe

peace out,
2018 hsc; mathematics

meerae

• Trendsetter
  • wack.
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2019, 09:05:27 pm »
+4
There is almost 12 hours before my first ever HSC exam.

I know that I've technically done an exam like this and I shouldn't be stressed but I am really beginning to psyche myself out. My English teacher left two weeks before the HSC, so I've had little to no help and have been freaking out because I haven't prepared the same way I did for trials.

I can't sleep, and am trying to watch Love Island to fall asleep, but it just isn't working and I know I shouldn't keep reading over my stuff because its just stressing me out. I don't know what to do at this point and am really feeling the pressure.

It's like all the stress I didn't feel gradually the past week is all coming now and I have no clue how to handle it. I'm really hoping I'll be better tomorrow...

Just wanted to update on the stress, we'll see how the exam is tomorrow...

peace out,
2018 hsc; mathematics

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2019, 09:50:53 pm »
+1
Hey meerae!
How did it go? <3

meerae

• Trendsetter
  • wack.
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2019, 08:58:50 am »
+6
hey Laura!

was planning to update everyone this morning before I begin my grind for the rest of my subjects.

Okay so paper 1 was an absolute nightmare, there was no visual text (which my teacher had actually predicted) and the unseen texts were so farfetched when paired with their questions I was confused as hell. I don't feel confident in any of my answers and almost didn't answer one of the 5 markers as a mini essay, which I had to fix in the last two minutes before the exam was over, so I didn't get to read over my essay.

The essay part was........... um, decent. All essay questions were a 'to what extent' and needed a personal pronoun, which was annoying. I did 1984, so the question looked at loneliness. but no one is ever alone in 1984 because of the tele screen, so it felt like the question was so irrelevant and I started freaking out a lil bit, all I did was use my preplanned themes and just adjust them to talk about how they result in loneliness, hopefully that works :(

Paper 2 was a lil better but it was still pretty bad, the mod a question was applicable to all texts (just like I predicted), and had like three questions in one, which made my thesis a little longer than usual to ensure I had every part of the question included in what I was trying to prove. the Mod B Eliot question was exactly what my teacher had been preparing us for and so I was able to write one of my strongest essays, but when it hit 40mins I still had to talk about Magi, so I had to leave this essay and move on to Mod C. I rushed mod C so that I'd be able to go back to my Eliot essay and finish it, so I cut my discursive a page short to finish mod b. After the exam I realised I technically didn't continue the quote in my discursive and in part b I didn't explicitly compare my use of language to my prescribed text...

Overall, I'm glad its over and now I have a week and a bit off to prepare for the rest of my subjects :)

peace out,
2018 hsc; mathematics

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2019, 06:31:17 pm »
hey meerae! how are things? i don't really understand the hsc system, are you all finished yet? ;D

meerae

• Trendsetter
  • wack.
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2019, 07:15:20 pm »
+3
Hey Laura!

Everyone is finished now, I finished about a week ago (and still cannot believe I am actually done).

I had all my exams in a week, and didn't find many major curveballs in them, lets just hope my hard work pays off.

It's just a waiting game now until results & atars are released on the 17th... cant wait!

peace out,
2018 hsc; mathematics

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2019, 07:31:39 pm »
+1