Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:58:27 am

Author Topic: English Standard Question Thread  (Read 207543 times)  Share 

Daniyahasan

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +20
Re: English Standard Question Thread
« Reply #435 on: September 24, 2017, 08:32:01 am »
Would any of ya peeps know where to find Exploring Transition essay question ? There seem to be too few online.
try THSC they have heaps of past trials from different schools, so you'll definitely find a bunch of questions there
ATAR Goal 90

angelahchan

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #436 on: September 24, 2017, 09:26:03 am »
+4
Would any of ya peeps know where to find Exploring Transition essay question ? There seem to be too few online.

Here's a list of past questions; I think my teacher reworded some of the "into the world" to make it fit exploring transitions more:

2016 HSC: How do the texts you have studied explore the transition of individuals into new phases of life and new social contexts? Make close referenced to your prescribed text and at least ONE other related text of your own choosing.

2015 HSC: The process of transition challenges attitudes and beliefs. To what extent do the texts you have studied in this elective support this view? Refer to your prescribed text and ONE other related text of your own choosing.

2014 HSC: Individuals venturing into new experiences struggle to balance personal values with the expectations of the broader world. In what ways is this struggle explored in this prescribed text and ONE other related text?

2013 HSC: Explain how making a transition opens up new phases of life and influences the ways people interact with one another. In your response, refer to your prescribed text and ONE other related text of your own choosing.

2012 HSC: The experience of transitioning between worlds both limits and extends individual freedom. Discuss this view with reference to prescribed and ONE other related text of your own choosing.

2011 HSC: Explain how prescribed text and ONE other related text of your own choosing portray the consequences of making a transition.

Daniyahasan

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #437 on: September 24, 2017, 09:47:55 am »
Guys i found this really good website for Billy Elliot, its worth having a look at:)

http://www.smashthehsc.com/introduction.html
ATAR Goal 90

arunasva

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #438 on: September 24, 2017, 12:56:43 pm »
I was just wondering how you would recommend people to tackle Paper 1. I do essays followed by comprehension and end with the Creative.
:3

Daniyahasan

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #439 on: September 24, 2017, 01:08:28 pm »
I was just wondering how you would recommend people to tackle Paper 1. I do essays followed by comprehension and end with the Creative.
i usually start with my creative, then essay because i have them memorised so im scared ill forget it
and i do my unseen texts last, BUT iv heard thats not a good tactic cos in my school as a whole the people who did their reading first perfomed better in that section
ATAR Goal 90

lucyjayne

• Trailblazer
  • Sad backwards is das und das ist nicht gut
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #440 on: September 24, 2017, 05:15:34 pm »
Hey,

so I was just wondering if Picasso's Guernica would be an okay related text to use for discovery - my set text is Life of Pi - as Guernica is a war painting and i'm wondering if war can be linked to life of Pi, like a spiritual war or something.

Thanks
HSC 2017: Legal Studies, English (Standard), Modern History, Ancient History, Studies of Religion II, German Continuers.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #441 on: September 24, 2017, 08:49:14 pm »
+3

I personally did Comprehension first to try and inspire some ideas that could be useful for the Essay, which I did next, then finish with Creative! My logic there was that if I had to cut into a section, I wanted it to be Creative ;D

I think everyone will have their own preference there, don't think there's a right or wrong! :)

Faaatttiiimmaa

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #442 on: September 25, 2017, 10:07:42 am »
Is 1100 words too much for a discovery essay? I also have about 950 words for my creative writing. Should I cut down some words or will I be able to make the time limit ?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #443 on: September 25, 2017, 10:26:48 am »
+2
Is 1100 words too much for a discovery essay? I also have about 950 words for my creative writing. Should I cut down some words or will I be able to make the time limit ?

Welcome to the forums!! ;D have you tried writing these essays under timed conditions? That's probably the first step to knowing if you need to cut down. If you can write them fairly comfortably in the 40 minutes you have then they should work well ;D

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #444 on: September 25, 2017, 09:52:41 pm »
+7
Hey,

so I was just wondering if Picasso's Guernica would be an okay related text to use for discovery - my set text is Life of Pi - as Guernica is a war painting and i'm wondering if war can be linked to life of Pi, like a spiritual war or something.

Thanks

Haven't studied Life of Pi but I have studied the Guernica before.

If you can try and relate Guernica to the discovery rubric then you should be fine.

- What type of discovery is exactly being depicted in the painting? Spiritual? Intellectual? Physical? I think it definitely relates to spiritual because after all, the painting does illustrate death on an epic scale, humanity's suffering and the lost of hope.
- Think about who is exactly experiencing the discovery? Picasso himself? The individuals in the painting? Or the audience themselves?
- What ideas are presented in the painting? How do they provoke future possibilities and understandings? You can possibly talk about how the destruction of humanity's innocence in the painting provides inspiration for future society to not repeat such events like this. There is a definite conflict between war and peace (ie; the horse and bull screaming and the individual carrying the flower)

Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

DalvinT

• Trendsetter
  • We can always improve, right?
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #445 on: September 26, 2017, 11:47:31 am »
Hey, I cannot seem to find the technique when the composer presents something to the reader.
So for example, "Here this fruit and that fruit"
2017 HSC:
English Standard 91
Biology 90
Earth and Environmental Science 89
Music 1 97
Visual Arts 92
General Mathematics 2  85

ATAR : 95.15

2018-2020: Bachelor of Oral Health @ USYD

bsdfjnlkasn

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #446 on: September 26, 2017, 12:55:54 pm »
+5
Hey, I cannot seem to find the technique when the composer presents something to the reader.
So for example, "Here this fruit and that fruit"

I'm not sure either, but it might be stronger to look at what the fruit symbolises. Is the symbol developed? Does it represent a specific idea? Just some food for thought ;)

DalvinT

• Trendsetter
  • We can always improve, right?
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #447 on: September 26, 2017, 03:19:10 pm »
+1

I'm not sure either, but it might be stronger to look at what the fruit symbolises. Is the symbol developed? Does it represent a specific idea? Just some food for thought ;)

Heyyy! Thanks for the ideas. Yes definitely already talked about the fruit haha
Mmm was that meant to be an intentional pun?
2017 HSC:
English Standard 91
Biology 90
Earth and Environmental Science 89
Music 1 97
Visual Arts 92
General Mathematics 2  85

ATAR : 95.15

2018-2020: Bachelor of Oral Health @ USYD

Arvacado

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #448 on: October 01, 2017, 09:08:57 am »
Hiii!  ;D
Does anyone have a related text for 'Away'??

How to write an effective piece of creative writing?

Mod Edit: Post merge, you can use the 'Modify' button to the top right of your post to add to a question so you don't post twice in a row :)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 10:27:58 am by jamonwindeyer »

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #449 on: October 01, 2017, 10:29:47 am »
+3
Hiii!  ;D
Does anyone have a related text for 'Away'??

Hey there! We have a big list of suggestions, hopefully something there could help! ;D

How to write an effective piece of creative writing?

Here is a huge guide that might be helpful ;D