Archived Discussion > VCE Results Discussion 2016

Changing Preferences

(1/2) > >>

Thunderylife:
I got 57.80 and my first preference is in Monash Bachelor of Science , Seas is 75. Should I change my first preference and leave the rest or change everything?

Litigator:

--- Quote from: Thunderylife on December 12, 2016, 08:21:02 am ---I got 57.80 and my first preference is in Monash Bachelor of Science , Seas is 75. Should I change my first preference and leave the rest or change everything?

--- End quote ---

I guess you can leave it there. You never know what might happen. The usual story i tell people is that my friend needed 98 to get in, got 91, and received a first round offer.

However, the smart thing to do would be to have backup preferences just in case you dont get in.

brenden:

--- Quote from: Thunderylife on December 12, 2016, 08:21:02 am ---I got 57.80 and my first preference is in Monash Bachelor of Science , Seas is 75. Should I change my first preference and leave the rest or change everything?

--- End quote ---
LEAVE YOUR PREFERENCES. DO NOT CHANGE YOUR PREFERENCES BASED ON HOW LIKELY YOU THINK IT IS THAT YOU'LL GET INTO A COURSE.

Universities don't know where you put them on the preference list, so it doesn't impact your likelihood of getting in. However you will only get ONE offer in January, and that offer will be for the course highest on your preference list that you were actually accepted into.

--- Quote from: Smb16 on December 15, 2016, 10:21:52 pm --- Trying to choose between advertising and design
I have been having trouble between deciding to do advertising at rmit, or do a communication design course. Advertising at rmit is a highly recommended course, but I'm not sure if it's that creative. I thought you get to design adverts, but one of the lecturers that taught it said otherwise?!! And I want to do design at monash but will have to do a course elsewhere for a year and try again to get in they told me. But monash also said don't do rmit if you wanted to try to change to monash :/
So I'm finding it hard because I think I'd like both courses.

Does anyone have any experiences like this and would be able to help me give reason to my decisions on what to do?

--- End quote ---
What sort of design are you interested in?

Smb16:

--- Quote from: brenden on December 15, 2016, 10:25:41 pm ---LEAVE YOUR PREFERENCES. DO NOT CHANGE YOUR PREFERENCES BASED ON HOW LIKELY YOU THINK IT IS THAT YOU'LL GET INTO A COURSE.

Universities don't know where you put them on the preference list, so it doesn't impact your likelihood of getting in. However you will only get ONE offer in January, and that offer will be for the course highest on your preference list that you were actually accepted into.
What sort of design are you interested in?

--- End quote ---

I deleted my comment because I thought it was in the wrong place. But I'm interested in communication design.

--- Quote from: brenden on December 15, 2016, 10:25:41 pm ---LEAVE YOUR PREFERENCES. DO NOT CHANGE YOUR PREFERENCES BASED ON HOW LIKELY YOU THINK IT IS THAT YOU'LL GET INTO A COURSE.
--- End quote ---
Sorry to hijack the thread partly, but I'm curious to know if this (the part I bolded) is actually true. Disclaimer: I totally agree that the OP should leave it as their first preference even if they don't think they have the ATAR.

Anyway, I have a hunch that many interview and scholarship offers are made after considering a student's placement of a course on the preference list. In fact, I believe this information is relayed to universities from VTAC.

Anecdotally (which doesn't actually stand for much), I've seen scholarship offers made to myself and others generally come from universities which aren't first on one's list in an attempt to entice people to go to a uni. This makes sense, given that a uni has no real reason to throw money at you to come if they already know they're first on your list. However, as more concrete evidence, on my enrolment information on my.unimelb, I can inspect my course info and it details that Biomedicine was my 2nd preference (I just left chancellors as #1), which is true and clearly indicative of the fact that the uni knew this info.

Can anyone say for sure?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version