Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 08:26:51 am

Author Topic: What are your thoughts on op shopping?  (Read 1396 times)  Share 

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
What are your thoughts on op shopping?
« on: June 23, 2018, 11:02:10 pm »
+10
I originally op-shopped because I came from a financially poor family and had no option of buying new clothing at all.  Later, when I was earning, I also enjoyed the shopping experience as a recreational activity, and felt like a more ethical consumer.

I then began volunteering (Salvos), really enjoyed it, and now plan on working longer-term in the area.  I'm pretty keen on the way it recycles, breaks the fast fashion loop, promotes individuality rather than conformity to current fashions, and is more equally accessible to those with lower incomes.  (And it's not just in clothing - also furniture, kitchenware, books, decor etc)

Do you op shop?  Any recent finds to share?  How do you feel about op shops?  If you don't, would you consider it?  What stops you?

If anyone's curious, I can answer questions about how it works behind the scenes!
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
Re: What are your thoughts on op shopping?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 11:09:58 pm »
+6
I too volunteer at an opshop (Red Cross)!
I first got into the craze (is that the word I'm looking for?) when I was little and my grandma used to take us to one of her local ones (and then more so again now- I found my fave pair of jeans (brand new) at an opshop in Geelong aha :') ). Then when I moved to where I am now and found the local opshop had books for $1 for 4 and I was sold! ;D

As I'm moving stores (my one closes down for good after tomorrow due to construction- sad!), my store had a $5 fill-a-bag sale on and I managed to restrict myself to towing away just one bag today- with literally brand new stuff, including a new pair of heels and a few tops :)

(Will post pic of recent finds tomorrow if I remember!)

Edit: I also go through my wardrobe and drawers and bookshelves and give clothes and books away on a regular basis. I don't wish to hoarde a lot, considering I just don't have the space at home! ;D
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 11:22:49 pm by insanipi »
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 06:10:31 pm »
+3
I'm trying to think of the last thing I bought new.  I think it was undies a number of months ago, because that's one thing I'm not buying second hand hahaha (we don't sell it anyway).

I don't mean to be a brand snob, but I increasingly wear good quality shit.  It doesn't occur to me to shop at Kmart or Big W because we automatically chuck them out as not good enough.  [They don't go to waste, they're just moved on to another company that sends them overseas or turns them into rags. They just don't get sold in our stores.]

Like, jeans.  Have a perfectly fitting pair of black skinnies and midwash blue skinnies from Nobody, which are like $200-300 a pop new, but I got for $7 each.  Haven't yet found another brand that fits me as well.

Got some gorgeous dresses, denim jacket, boots, well-cut coats, cozy fluffy jumpers, blankets, pretty china, a lovely lamp, some beautiful pictures... 95% of what I own is from op shops.

For me it's like a library for clothes: I buy some, wear them as long as I feel like, redonate them.  And I'm not supporting an industry that churns out clothes as quickly and cheaply as possible that soon go to waste regardless of effects on anyone.   

And the staples, like those Nobody jeans, will last me for years.

Enough opshop fangirling from me ;) someone else pls join in hahaha
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

kauac

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +291
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 07:22:26 pm »
+2
Op shopping has always been a thing for our family... Whenever we went on holidays, my Mum would always drag us all into op shops. But I didn't really learn to appreciate them until a few years ago, when I realised how expensive new clothing is!!

I normally go op shopping with a particular type of clothes in mind. Because they sell so many different brands, its good to have a place where I can try these all on, and work out which fit best. And isn't the greatest when you find an item from your favourite brand at a fraction of the price?  ;D

Haven't really bought much else from op shops, but I know they always have some cool homewares!
2018: HSC

2019: Gap Year

2020-2024: B Science / M Nutrition & Dietetics @ USYD

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 01:09:58 pm »
+2
I find it a very relaxing experience; much more so than attempting to shop elsewhere. It's particularly good for picking up books and old sport paraphernalia IMO.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.