Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 07:42:49 am

Author Topic: how should i study for the melbourne high test???  (Read 61340 times)  Share 

crystahlll

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Re: how should i study for the melbourne high test???
« Reply #60 on: June 11, 2018, 06:18:08 pm »
hi all,
i'm wondering if you guys could help me mark my essay and give me feedback?? I'm going for the year 11 exam

Prompt: image of girl looking outside window. Below the image says "What happens next?"

The world outside hoome seemed so alive. So carefree. I looked down at the labyrinthe streets filled with people. A family of three caught my eye. The daughter,
sandwiched in between her parents, had a huge grin plastered on her face. It was such a simple vision - a happy family but something I will never be able to possess.
   A loud shatter pierced the air. I buried my head in my hands as I anticipated what would come within seconds - the roar of my father's voice, followed by my mother's
soft cries. My vision blurred as I felt tears well up in my eyes- I shook my head and bit my lip. Why must I cry over an everyday occurence?
   The door slammed open, snapping me out of my thoughts.
   "Look at your useless daughter!" my father slurred, pointing one accusatory finger at me. "She can't do anything right and I have to shoulder the burden of taking care
of this rubbish family!"
   My hands balled into fists upon hearing the insults thrown at me. What angered me most was the sight of my trembling mother, trying to put up a facade
that she is alright with her quivery smiles. What did my father, an irresponsible drunkard, ever do for this family in the first place.
   Something in me snapped. I grabbed the beer bottle out of his hands and smashed it on the ground.
   I screamed at him, pushing past my mother's loose grip. "You are nothing but an abusive man who treats his family like dirt! I wish-"
   Before I could finish, a hand flew across me and I felt my consciousness fading.

thank you!
the roots of education are bitter but the fruit is sweet

Servillian

« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2018, 09:19:42 pm »
hi all,
i'm wondering if you guys could help me mark my essay and give me feedback?? I'm going for the year 11 exam

Prompt: image of girl looking outside window. Below the image says "What happens next?"

The world outside hoome seemed so alive. So carefree. I looked down at the labyrinthe streets filled with people. A family of three caught my eye. The daughter,
sandwiched in between her parents, had a huge grin plastered on her face. It was such a simple vision - a happy family but something I will never be able to possess.
   A loud shatter pierced the air. I buried my head in my hands as I anticipated what would come within seconds - the roar of my father's voice, followed by my mother's
soft cries. My vision blurred as I felt tears well up in my eyes- I shook my head and bit my lip. Why must I cry over an everyday occurence?
   The door slammed open, snapping me out of my thoughts.
   "Look at your useless daughter!" my father slurred, pointing one accusatory finger at me. "She can't do anything right and I have to shoulder the burden of taking care
of this rubbish family!"
   My hands balled into fists upon hearing the insults thrown at me. What angered me most was the sight of my trembling mother, trying to put up a facade
that she is alright with her quivery smiles. What did my father, an irresponsible drunkard, ever do for this family in the first place.
   Something in me snapped. I grabbed the beer bottle out of his hands and smashed it on the ground.
   I screamed at him, pushing past my mother's loose grip. "You are nothing but an abusive man who treats his family like dirt! I wish-"
   Before I could finish, a hand flew across me and I felt my consciousness fading.

thank you!
Hi I’m taking the Melbourne High exam in two days.
Anxiety ;-;

I actually commented on this but the message was deleted so I’ll make this quick since I’m lazy:

1) Less dialogue. All teachers, including the tutors at Henderson’s told me this.
2) Follow the structure. I usually follow Introduction > Rising Action > Climax > Resolution
You could also think of it as Pebble in shoe > Rock in shoe > AN ENTIRE BOULDER IN YOUR SHOE > Getting rid of it.
So you could do: Dad verbally abuses daughter frequently > Dad leaves town > Dad returns and attacks the girl > Mother stops him/ police is called.

3) Have *more* to your story. This kind of coincides with (2). I’m pretty sure one confrontation between two people wouldn’t be enough. Build it up, get to the climax then resolve it.
Also, aim to finish an entire page. I find it’s just right for me. It should be the standard. Spend a minute planning then write, write, WRITE.
Best of luck to both of us.

Servillian

« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2018, 09:24:01 pm »
Hi I’m taking the Melbourne High exam in two days.
Anxiety ;-;

I actually commented on this but the message was deleted so I’ll make this quick since I’m lazy:

1) Less dialogue. All teachers, including the tutors at Henderson’s told me this.
2) Follow the structure. I usually follow Introduction > Rising Action > Climax > Resolution
You could also think of it as Pebble in shoe > Rock in shoe > AN ENTIRE BOULDER IN YOUR SHOE > Getting rid of it.
So you could do: Dad verbally abuses daughter frequently > Dad leaves town > Dad returns and attacks the girl > Mother stops him/ police is called.

3) Have *more* to your story. This kind of coincides with (2). I’m pretty sure one confrontation between two people wouldn’t be enough. Build it up, get to the climax then resolve it.
Also, aim to finish an entire page. I find it’s just right for me. It should be the standard. Spend a minute planning then write, write, WRITE.
Best of luck to both of us.

Actually, I just realised that you’re going for the Year 11 exam. I don’t know the details, but if it’s 15 minutes then you’d better write more than a page. I’m going for year 9.
The tips that I gave are for my level.
Also, use sophisticated words in essays, they help :)

rakshanaraj06

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2019, 07:47:44 pm »
wow thats amazing