Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:43:19 am

Author Topic: how should i study for the melbourne high test???  (Read 61199 times)  Share 

Water

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +116
Re: how should i study for the melbourne high test???
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2011, 08:03:58 pm »

Sorry MHS boys, couldn't resist it.

Touche.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 08:06:27 pm by Water »
About Philosophy

When I see a youth thus engaged,—the study appears to me to be in character, and becoming a man of liberal education, and him who neglects philosophy I regard as an inferior man, who will never aspire to anything great or noble. But if I see him continuing the study in later life, and not leaving off, I should like to beat him - Callicle

taqi

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2011, 01:47:07 pm »
i got 0 superiors and made it in! hoozah!
supposedly someone else declined and hence the spot opened up for me

werdna

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +287
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2011, 02:27:36 pm »
Well you definitely deserve the spot, you my friend earnt MHS an extra 50 in bio. ;)

HERculina

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • To ∞ and beyond
  • Respect: +11
  • School: St. Trinians
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2011, 03:00:16 pm »
wow really? kool.  :)

i think for mhs, for entry into year 10, 11 and 12 they only look at people's reports whereas with macrob you have to do that whole entrance exam thingy again ie. more picky

------------------------------------------------------> :D <-----------------------------------------------------

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2011, 04:51:57 pm »

yes, but you are a genius taqi! :)

Getting that no superiors and getting in doesn't happen too often.

xinkaihuang97

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2011, 07:57:03 pm »
No superior and gets in, hmm, that seldom happens. I thought at least one or two sups is needed.
Oh well, i still had better do my best, in case i get 3 sups and fail it =D
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 11:06:41 am by xinkaihuang97 »

simplyme

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • HeHeHe
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2011, 11:59:40 pm »
I have struggled with the Reading Part. I did the practice test and there were 7-8 questions that I had to do a guess work. Is this okay? or you guys could finish the test in time? cheers,

xinkaihuang97

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2011, 07:29:38 pm »
Guessing is an art....

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2011, 08:45:34 pm »
I have struggled with the Reading Part. I did the practice test and there were 7-8 questions that I had to do a guess work. Is this okay? or you guys could finish the test in time? cheers,

My timings (from page 1 of this thread...):
Timing
You want to be able to finish each part with around 5 mins to spare, and finish each written expression with 1-2 mins to spare and having ~600 words written down. For my case, I finished Maths and Numerical Reasoning with around 10-15 mins to spare in each, Verbal Reasoning with 2 mins to spare, Reading Comprehension with 5 mins to spare, and each essay with around 2 mins to spare. Time yourself in all preparation tasks. N.B. my timings for exams were 40 mins for multiple choice tests, it has now been shortened to 30 mins.

:)

xinkaihuang97

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2011, 03:43:14 pm »
you dont really need to write 2 pages for each writing, do you?

Ishaan

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • School: Mt waverley
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2013, 05:45:31 pm »
Hi, I'm sitting the test tomorrow and I'm kind of nervous. I go to James an and get mainly top 11%. I'm in the enrichment class in my school, Mt Waverley. We can have 18 people get in, 10 males 8 females. Do you think ill get in?I'll post how I went soon. Thank you all, this question is mainly for Pi.

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2013, 06:01:32 pm »
Hi, I'm sitting the test tomorrow and I'm kind of nervous. I go to James an and get mainly top 11%. I'm in the enrichment class in my school, Mt Waverley. We can have 18 people get in, 10 males 8 females. Do you think ill get in?I'll post how I went soon. Thank you all, this question is mainly for Pi.

I think you're in with a good chance!

Just try and get a few days of rest to calm the nerves :)

Ishaan

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • School: Mt waverley
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2013, 06:08:43 pm »
+1
Thank you Pi, you have given me some confidence

Robert243

« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2013, 08:53:09 pm »
Hi pi,
this might not be the right forum to write this comment , but i don't know where else . I am in year 9 , i tried out for Melbourne High last year got a PD a, but didn't do well on the interview . You probably got in when you were in year 8  , but do i have the chance to get in this year . In terms of how i am as a student , i am one of those students who is lazy , but when puts his mind to something achieve his goals (might sound to ambitous) , my school report have been average/low average . I participate in debating as an extra curricular activity , and have a few other awards such as 3 years ahead in kumon .  I also had my brother attend the school so would that be an advantage . So from the infor that i have given you do you think i have a slight chance , or not you can be honest mate , you dont have to be nice.

Sorry for bothering you, if you have time plz reply:)
regards robert

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2013, 01:27:43 am »
+2
Breaking what I said in my sig to post this (to those who have asked why my sig is such, please don't, but it does take into account both regrettable and unpleasant recent events and the fact that I don't feel I have much to contribute to this forum anymore content-wise), only because you specifically asked for me.

Hi pi,
this might not be the right forum to write this comment , but i don't know where else . I am in year 9 , i tried out for Melbourne High last year got a PD a, but didn't do well on the interview . You probably got in when you were in year 8  , but do i have the chance to get in this year . In terms of how i am as a student , i am one of those students who is lazy , but when puts his mind to something achieve his goals (might sound to ambitous) , my school report have been average/low average . I participate in debating as an extra curricular activity , and have a few other awards such as 3 years ahead in kumon .  I also had my brother attend the school so would that be an advantage . So from the infor that i have given you do you think i have a slight chance , or not you can be honest mate , you dont have to be nice.

Sorry for bothering you, if you have time plz reply:)
regards robert

Hi Robert,

To be honest, I think you've got to be in it to win it. Now your school reports aren't too flashy, but I think for yr10 entry there is a test too (with a written app). So if you do well in that then they may overlook your report to an extent. A lot depends on your written app, so try and get that to reflect "more than just marks" and "honour the work" as much as possible.

It's not up to me to say what your chances are, but I have known teachers on the panel of selectors before and they're pretty realistic and fair and will see through any bs, so keep things honest and try and show your positive qualities of why MHS would want you as a student :)

May I also suggest you look into JMSS this year, and Eliz Blackburn next year :) Both would suit you well!

Best of luck.

Regards.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 01:37:16 am by pi »