Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 06:54:12 pm

Author Topic: Emailed the selective examiners, and the exam has indeed changed.  (Read 3792 times)  Share 

ProbotMelbourne

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: 0
We only have to write one writing test this year, persuasive or creative.

And we have like 40 minutes for only ONE writing test, 30 minutes writing and 10 minutes planning.
The rest is same.

A series of five tests form the selective entry high school examination:
• verbal reasoning
• numerical reasoning
• persuasive or creative written expression
• reading comprehension
• mathematics.

Four of the tests are multiple-choice, each run for 30 minutes in length and do not include reading time. The writing test is 30 minutes in duration, plus an additional 10 minutes of planning time. Normally, a short 15-minute break is taken after the completion of the writing test.

The Progenitor

• Trailblazer
Re: Emailed the selective examiners, and the exam has indeed changed.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 11:02:46 am »
Wow that sucks. It just makes it harder for everyone. 15 minutes was good for separating us from the slow writers. Now it's anyone's game with a solid 30 minutes. Do we still need to get around 3 superiors to get first offer?

Lear

• MOTM: JUL 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 11:24:54 am »
On the flip side, 30 minutes means you can write a proper planned and well thought out essay rather than a rushed piece of writing. I, for one, agree fully with this change. No where in high school will you be writing an essay in such short time. Even in VCE you get an hour to write each essay.

2018: ATAR: 99.35
Subjects
English: 44
Methods: 43
Further Maths: 50
Chemistry: 46
Legal: 40
2019: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash

sw3glord

• Adventurer
  • internet megastar
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 11:34:20 am »
We only have to write one writing test this year, persuasive or creative.

And we have like 40 minutes for only ONE writing test, 30 minutes writing and 10 minutes planning.
The rest is same.

A series of five tests form the selective entry high school examination:
• verbal reasoning
• numerical reasoning
• persuasive or creative written expression
• reading comprehension
• mathematics.

Four of the tests are multiple-choice, each run for 30 minutes in length and do not include reading time. The writing test is 30 minutes in duration, plus an additional 10 minutes of planning time. Normally, a short 15-minute break is taken after the completion of the writing test.

Wow so 2018 was the last year of the traditional format of the exam  :o

I feel as if pretty much everyone taking the exam will be able to finish the writing piece with the new time limit, so your best bet here while preparing for the exam would be to focus on coming up with good arguments/creative plot lines and then specifically focusing on making your piece different from the rest (using show not tell, good vocabulary, good length e.t.c).

ProbotMelbourne

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 11:56:34 am »
Wow so 2018 was the last year of the traditional format of the exam  :o

I feel as if pretty much everyone taking the exam will be able to finish the writing piece with the new time limit, so your best bet here while preparing for the exam would be to focus on coming up with good arguments/creative plot lines and then specifically focusing on making your piece different from the rest (using show not tell, good vocabulary, good length e.t.c).

Yeah, the 10 minutes planning can help me to actually get good arguments.

ProbotMelbourne

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 11:58:14 am »
Wow that sucks. It just makes it harder for everyone. 15 minutes was good for separating us from the slow writers. Now it's anyone's game with a solid 30 minutes. Do we still need to get around 3 superiors to get first offer?
Hopefully it’s 2, but most likely still 3.
I wanted it to be 15 minutes, but it’s 30 now,with 10 mins planning, so 40.
Probably can get out intro,3-4 para,rebuttal, conclusion
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 12:02:51 pm by ProbotMelbourne »

ProbotMelbourne

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 12:00:33 pm »
On the flip side, 30 minutes means you can write a proper planned and well thought out essay rather than a rushed piece of writing. I, for one, agree fully with this change. No where in high school will you be writing an essay in such short time. Even in VCE you get an hour to write each essay.

I agree with this change as well, but it seems like a disadvantage for me since I only plan for 20 seconds

I’ll try to plan for longer now.

Another thing is that we don’t even know what we are preparing for, creative or persuasive. It can be any of them.

The Progenitor

• Trailblazer
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2019, 01:18:28 pm »
The change makes it slightly harder for everyone. The good writers typically get 2 superiors in writing and then only need 1 or even no more superiors to get into their selected school. Now they will also need to excel in other subjects as there is one writing piece. This gives an advantage for the others who typically don't do well in writing, but excel in mathematics or reasoning. But, since many people are getting advantages from this change it actually cancels itself out. If majority of people get an advantage, then its not an advantage.

ProbotMelbourne

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2019, 01:26:45 pm »
The change makes it slightly harder for everyone. The good writers typically get 2 superiors in writing and then only need 1 or even no more superiors to get into their selected school. Now they will also need to excel in other subjects as there is one writing piece. This gives an advantage for the others who typically don't do well in writing, but excel in mathematics or reasoning. But, since many people are getting advantages from this change it actually cancels itself out. If majority of people get an advantage, then its not an advantage.
Yeah, agree with you.
I’d be sad if I was good at writing lol.
It’s an interesting change,though, I’d prefer the older system.
I hope it’s 2 superiors to get into Melbourne high, but I doubt it. Suzanne Cory is always an option :)
I’m scared that I’ll get average in reading comp or something and reduce my chances of getting in.

Is ur second option NHS OR SCHS?

The Progenitor

• Trailblazer
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2019, 01:40:39 pm »
Just going for MHS, the others are too far. I pretty sure if you only put Melbourne High as a preference, they will consider you more in second round offers and principal discretion.

ProbotMelbourne

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2019, 01:48:14 pm »
Just going for MHS, the others are too far. I pretty sure if you only put Melbourne High as a preference, they will consider you more in second round offers and principal discretion.

Ohh, I’m putting MHS then SCHS or SCHS then MHS,idk. My house is pretty close to SCHS,25-30 minutes by car.
Where do you live? South Melbourne?

The Progenitor

• Trailblazer
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2019, 02:04:40 pm »
Around north Melbourne. The city is about 50 minutes via train.

ProbotMelbourne

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2019, 02:56:26 pm »

Oh,interesting. I’m in west Melbourne,city is 30 minutes by train but the train station is 10 minutes from my house so it’s 40 minutes.

ProbotMelbourne

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2019, 03:26:16 pm »

All the tutors have already made their students ace the 15 minute timer exam, now it’s 30 mins
Btw, SCHS n NHS need 0-1 superiors and no averages.
R u in a competitive school?

Tatlidil

• Forum Regular
  • Math is Life
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2019, 03:29:49 pm »
What is this for? does it concern us VCE students?