Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 10:45:30 pm

Author Topic: Selective entry(MHS n SCHS)2019.Any tips?  (Read 5388 times)  Share 

ProbotMelbourne

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: 0
Selective entry(MHS n SCHS)2019.Any tips?
« on: January 02, 2019, 01:28:59 pm »
Hi,I’m giving the test in 6 months :-)!Need some tips for the selective entry exam,idk what else to study for the maths exam(learned parabolas,surds,sohcahtoa,etc).I think I’d be fine with maths and numerical reasoning.
Surprisingly,I’m able to finish an intro,3 paragraphs,a rebuttal{following Pi’s structure(recommended)} so I think I’m fine with persuasive as well,although it’s quality over quantity.
My grammar is trash,so I’ll try to improve on that.
I ain’t good at creative cause I love suspense books and I write suspense a lot,even if the topic is something not related to suspense(try to fit the topic in) and whenever someone is reading my essay,they don’t get what’s happening.I also feel like I’m focusing on the plot TOO much,I include hardly any description.Im REALLY bad at show not tell.
Don’t even get me started on reading comprehension,IM GARBAGE AT IT.Luckily there’s 50 questions instead of 60 lol.
I’ll try to fit in a high average for verbal reasoning.

Thanks for reading,and also any tips and tricks would be appreciated!I can’t find any practice tests on the net either,already done all the free ones!

Btw,I don’t go to JAC or Henderson’s,I go to Spectrum Tuition(really good for preparing in selective).

aspiringantelope

Re: Selective entry(MHS n SCHS)2019.Any tips?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 03:09:42 pm »
Hi,I’m giving the test in 6 months :-)!Need some tips for the selective entry exam,idk what else to study for the maths exam(learned parabolas,surds,sohcahtoa,etc).I think I’d be fine with maths and numerical reasoning.
Surprisingly,I’m able to finish an intro,3 paragraphs,a rebuttal{following Pi’s structure(recommended)} so I think I’m fine with persuasive as well,although it’s quality over quantity.
I ain’t good at creative cause I love suspense books and I write suspense a lot,even if the topic is something not related to suspense(try to fit the topic in) and whenever someone is reading my essay,they don’t get what’s happening.I also feel like I’m focusing on the plot TOO much,I include hardly any description.Im REALLY bad at show not tell.
Don’t even get me started on reading comprehension,IM GARBAGE AT IT.Luckily there’s 50 questions instead of 60 lol.

Thanks for reading,and also any tips and tricks would be appreciated!I can’t find any practice tests on the net either,already done all the free ones!

Btw,I don’t go to JAC or Henderson’s,I go to Spectrum Tuition(really good for preparing in selective).
year 9 or year 10 entrance?

ProbotMelbourne

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 03:42:32 pm »
year 9 or year 10 entrance?

Year 9 entrance!

blackcocoa

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 05:06:39 pm »
You need probably think this way: unless you r exceptionally good at maths, you won't be able to differentiate yourself just doing maths exam well - most people will not have time to finish all the maths questions, plus will get some wrong.

Is your reading or writing at the risk of getting an Average? If so it could be the deal breaker. 

aspiringantelope

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 05:21:08 pm »
+1
Year 9 entrance!
English/ Writing
https://www.vocabulary.com/lists/23400
https://www.majortests.com/word-lists/ (Intermediate Word Lists)
Those words should help your essay and understanding a lot.

lacitam

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 05:46:29 pm »
+1
I took the exam in 2014. Honestly don't remember much of it, but I do remember the numerical reasoning was a killer - got an average for it from memory.

Essays were alright but make sure you have enough time to read over (I spent 30 seconds on my conclusion lol)

If time is almost up, start guessing.
Reach out if you need more help 😀

Evolio

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +485
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2019, 05:57:29 pm »

Hi ProbotMelbourne!
How are you doing?
So for reading comprehension, you should look at the questions first to get a rough idea about what you should be looking for in the text and then after that you should skim the text, looking for the keywords in those questions.  This will make sure that you are looking for the right thing and not for some random bits of information that might be the answer, but definitely isn't. Specifically, what are you struggling with in reading comprehension? This will help with targeting the problem areas.
For verbal reasoning, I suggest you to read the roots, suffixes and prefixes. Trust me, learning these will really help you. You can get a list of these online. There are heaps of websites that have these. Even if you don't know a certain word, you can still get the meaning out as you might know a part of the word. For example, in the word altitude, alti means high and tude usually signifies a noun such as longitude, latitude etc so you can figure out the word is means height.
For creative writing, I suggest you to write short 3 min plans for prompts. You can find prompts online. Orientation, Complication, Resolution. Plot. As you write the plans for these parts, keep going back to the topic to make sure you are on track and not going off topic as you said with the suspense. Practise writing these plans and then with these plans you can write creative pieces.
I hope this helped.
If you need anything clarified or have questions, please ask!
I am happy to help.
 :) :) :)

ProbotMelbourne

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2019, 08:25:39 pm »
You need probably think this way: unless you r exceptionally good at maths, you won't be able to differentiate yourself just doing maths exam well - most people will not have time to finish all the maths questions, plus will get some wrong.

Is your reading or writing at the risk of getting an Average? If so it could be the deal breaker.

Reading Comprehension,big risk of taking average!
English/ Writing
https://www.vocabulary.com/lists/23400
https://www.majortests.com/word-lists/ (Intermediate Word Lists)
Those words should help your essay and understanding a lot.

Thanks,I’ll definitely use it!
I tried the word lists out already and they’re great!

I took the exam in 2014. Honestly don't remember much of it, but I do remember the numerical reasoning was a killer - got an average for it from memory.

Essays were alright but make sure you have enough time to read over (I spent 30 seconds on my conclusion lol)

If time is almost up, start guessing.
Reach out if you need more help 😀
Thanks,30 seconds for conclusion is fantastic!Did you get in?

Hi ProbotMelbourne!
How are you doing?
So for reading comprehension, you should look at the questions first to get a rough idea about what you should be looking for in the text and then after that you should skim the text, looking for the keywords in those questions.  This will make sure that you are looking for the right thing and not for some random bits of information that might be the answer, but definitely isn't. Specifically, what are you struggling with in reading comprehension? This will help with targeting the problem areas.
For verbal reasoning, I suggest you to read the roots, suffixes and prefixes. Trust me, learning these will really help you. You can get a list of these online. There are heaps of websites that have these. Even if you don't know a certain word, you can still get the meaning out as you might know a part of the word. For example, in the word altitude, alti means high and tude usually signifies a noun such as longitude, latitude etc so you can figure out the word is means height.
For creative writing, I suggest you to write short 3 min plans for prompts. You can find prompts online. Orientation, Complication, Resolution. Plot. As you write the plans for these parts, keep going back to the topic to make sure you are on track and not going off topic as you said with the suspense. Practise writing these plans and then with these plans you can write creative pieces.
I hope this helped.
If you need anything clarified or have questions, please ask!
I am happy to help.
 :) :) :)

Thanks Evolio!
For reading comprehension,I’m just a slow reader,I’m even so slow at comprehending questions(only for reading comp) and every thing that I do related with reading comprehension is just so slow that everyone is a step ahead of me.
For Verbal Reasoning,I tried word roots with Spectrum Tuition but I wasn’t taking the test seriously then,lol!These holidays,my aim is to learn all the word roots!Thanks for your advice!

Should I upload essays here once in a while?Would someone be there to mark it/briefly check it?

Ty for replying to my post!

I also go to a REALLY un-competitive school,so that’s a bonus!I even write an essay a day to improve!

Mod edit: Deleted and merged multiple posts. If you need to say something after your first message, instead of posting after yourself, click the 'modify' button on your first post and edit it in. You can read more about posting etiquette in the rules. --Calebark
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 08:51:33 pm by Calebark »

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2019, 08:51:15 pm »
+1
Please don't post so much in a row. One post at one time will suffice. You can quote multiple messages in the one post by scrolling and hitting the quote button.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

aspiringantelope

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2019, 08:54:27 pm »
I also go to a REALLY un-competitive school,so that’s a bonus!I even write an essay a day to improve!
btw don't stress too much for numerical reasoning if you're good at maths, you will just need to quickly be able to recognise patterns and apply them in current equations. So if you are competent in the basics of maths, you should do well Numerical Reasoning

ProbotMelbourne

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2019, 09:36:15 pm »
btw don't stress too much for numerical reasoning if you're good at maths, you will just need to quickly be able to recognise patterns and apply them in current equations. So if you are competent in the basics of maths, you should do well Numerical Reasoning

Yeah,I was giving the St. Albans secondary college SEAL test(didn’t get it,got average for reading comp) and I didn’t even know what Numerical Reasoning was.I remember myself asking my friend about what Numerical Reasoning was lol.He just told me magic squares and I’m like”what are those”😂.Well,at the end I managed to get a superior in maths and numerical reasoning lol.
I’m just super scared that my reading comp will give me an average!

lacitam

• Forum Regular
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2019, 01:15:04 am »
Reading Comprehension,big risk of taking average!
Thanks,I’ll definitely use it!
I tried the word lists out already and they’re great!
Thanks,30 seconds for conclusion is fantastic!Did you get in?

Thanks Evolio!
For reading comprehension,I’m just a slow reader,I’m even so slow at comprehending questions(only for reading comp) and every thing that I do related with reading comprehension is just so slow that everyone is a step ahead of me.
For Verbal Reasoning,I tried word roots with Spectrum Tuition but I wasn’t taking the test seriously then,lol!These holidays,my aim is to learn all the word roots!Thanks for your advice!

Should I upload essays here once in a while?Would someone be there to mark it/briefly check it?

Ty for replying to my post!

Mod edit: Deleted and merged multiple posts. If you need to say something after your first message, instead of posting after yourself, click the 'modify' button on your first post and edit it in. You can read more about posting etiquette in the rules. --Calebark
Yes I did get in. However, I recorded MHS lowest atar so me getting in didn't have any value lol

ProbotMelbourne

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2019, 12:09:27 pm »
Yes I did get in. However, I recorded MHS lowest atar so me getting in didn't have any value lol

Oh rip,which school did you go before MHS,and was it better?

lacitam

• Forum Regular
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2019, 03:03:37 pm »
Oh rip,which school did you go before MHS,and was it better?
Went to a school with a really bad reputation and ranking, so I only needed one superior pretty much
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 03:06:42 pm by lacitam »

ProbotMelbourne

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2019, 04:25:15 pm »
Went to a school with a really bad reputation and ranking, so I only needed one superior pretty much

Oh,my school is pretty trash as well,people don’t care about anything.Just gave the practice maths test on the website and scored 44 out of 60,idk if that’s good considering it’s my second strongest subject(first being numerical reasoning)