Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:08:42 am

Author Topic: English Advanced Question Thread  (Read 1231769 times)

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
Re: English Advanced Question Thread
« Reply #4410 on: June 26, 2019, 06:17:02 pm »
+2
Hi all,

How do I actually write a persuasive essay for Mod C? I have an assessment and I need to write a persuasive essay on a particular social issue

Hey, emilyyyyyyy!

The key to persuasive writing is to maintain a clear judgement and pursue a strong argument. In junior years, we used to call this exposition writing. The aim of your essay is to convince your reader to acknowledge truth and reason on the perspective you present towards a chosen topic. You could structure the persuasive essay in whatever way you feel most comfortable conveying your ideas, so long as it has cohesion, flow and remains consistent with tense, register (formal voice) and tone. The foundations for the structure would be the introduction, central material (divide it into paragraphs based on your mini arguments) and conclusion  :) Whatever else follows is up to you  ;D

I would highly recommend picking a social issue that resonates with you. We present better arguments if we are passionate about it. To support your view, I would combine it with credible secondary sources from the news, literature, academia or other mediums to illustrate your findings. This can assist in presenting evidence for your argument and to layer your essay with greater complexity. The Guardian is my go to place for articles on recent social issues so I'd suggest there if you're feeling a little stuck! Hope this helps and good luck with the assessment  8)

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

emilyyyyyyy

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4411 on: June 27, 2019, 08:42:07 pm »
hi all,

My teacher is absolutely horrible and I genuinely do not know anything about any of my texts, so I’m going to have to create notes and analyse the texts myself.
I still want to achieve a band 6 in english, so does anyone have an tips?

Thanks!

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #4412 on: June 27, 2019, 10:23:48 pm »
+2
hi all,

My teacher is absolutely horrible and I genuinely do not know anything about any of my texts, so I’m going to have to create notes and analyse the texts myself.
I still want to achieve a band 6 in english, so does anyone have an tips?

Thanks!

Hey again!

I would firstly start off by expressing your concerns to your teacher. Perhaps their in-class teaching style isn't gelling with you but seeing them in your own time might help you clarify areas of knowledge that you may feel lacking. No teacher sets out to be useless so give them, and yourself, a proper chance to connect by seeking them for some one-on-one guidance. Advanced English is incredibly competitive and you may feel like you're alone but I can assure you most teachers genuinely want to make the effort for you. See if it makes a difference  :)

If you're feeling stuck on your texts, I'd highly recommend revisiting them after you have done some research into the themes and ideas they are aiming to convey. Read/watch them again with this in mind and you can gain a better understanding of what the texts' premises are. Creating personal notes and completing analysis yourself is actually a great study strategy for Advanced. It helps consolidate your learning and to truly engage with them. I always encourage students to attempt analysis themselves first before turning to other sources provided by teachers or online. Your originality will place you at an advantage this way!

My final tip for achieving the best you can in Advanced is to practice. I know there aren't many past papers out there but use the rubric to devise your own essay questions for Common Module, Mod A and Mod B. For Mod C, you could look up some writing prompts and quotes to practise with. The more you expose yourself to possibilities, the better prepared you will be for them. It also helps you build skills in adapting, handwriting and critical thinking under exam conditions.

I'll leave this post by saying that while things may be difficult, there are plenty of support networks around. AN will be happy to answer questions about your texts and to do the most we can to assist you. The main initiative though is on you! I hope with motivation and commitment, you'll be rewarded  :D

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

dani01

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #4413 on: June 29, 2019, 03:08:36 pm »
+1
How do you recommend studying for English advanced. Trails are coming up soon (a bit over a month) so I have time but just don't know where to begin with English.
- memorise quotes (how many?)
- how do i practise for paper 1 especially

also do I need to know my related text for hsc/trials? or was a related text only needed for an internal assessment? Thanks!

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #4414 on: June 29, 2019, 08:36:00 pm »
+2
How do you recommend studying for English advanced. Trails are coming up soon (a bit over a month) so I have time but just don't know where to begin with English.
- memorise quotes (how many?)
- how do i practise for paper 1 especially

also do I need to know my related text for hsc/trials? or was a related text only needed for an internal assessment? Thanks!

Hey, dani01!

There's no definite way of success for studying with Advanced but I recommend practice questions as the best way to prepare for your exams. I know that with the syllabus change, it may seem impossible to do this. However, you can use your rubrics for each module as a practice paper generator! All the questions that NESA can possibly devise will be derived from the key concepts in the syllabus. I'd recommend looking at the sample papers provided and devising your own questions to answer. Practise progressively, starting with open book without timed conditions, to open book with timed conditions until you can reach a stage where you can adapt confidently on the spot  8) This will develop your understanding of the course better and to assist in retaining skills long term.

Once you've written practice essays, you'll start to find patterns in terms of which quotes you use and favour. Memorise those ones and perhaps maybe two or three backup ones for each text in the unlikely event you'll have to use them. I always filtered my evidence down to what was relevant and resonated most with me as a student of English so that helped me remember them (I can still recite all of them today!).

I'm not too sure what the best way to study for Paper 1 is since the new common module does seem to be quite funky. I'd recommend checking out the sample papers NESA provided and requesting some practice comprehension questions from your teacher. You can also check out this amazing guide which outlines some other ways you can study for Advanced  :) You might find something helpful there!

You won't need a related text for the HSC or Trials since it was only required for internal assessment  :) I'd clarify this with your teacher just in case they decide to throw you in the deep end. You can never be too careful  ::) Do fire us with more questions if you are feeling stuck  :D We're happy to help!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

Thankunext

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4415 on: July 01, 2019, 04:55:34 pm »
Hi!

Just want to ask are we allowed to mention politics in our creative? E.g. criticise a political leader because they didn't take action on climate change?

Thank you!

emilyyyyyyy

• Forum Regular
« Reply #4416 on: July 04, 2019, 07:51:45 pm »
Hi,

For Module A, how would we structure the essay? My prescribed texts are poetry (7 poems) and a film, so I just wanted to know how many poems I have to know, and how many I actually have to write about?

Thanks!

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #4417 on: July 05, 2019, 05:39:16 pm »
+1
Hi!

Just want to ask are we allowed to mention politics in our creative? E.g. criticise a political leader because they didn't take action on climate change?

Thank you!

Hey, ThankuNext!

Completely fine to explore politics in your creative so long as your criticism is diplomatic  :) I think it would be fantastic to allude to current events because it'll strengthen your creative's message and intention far more. You could make it satirical and have a character that resembles a political leader in our world so it's more subtle, humorous and thought-provoking  8) That'd be my recommendation but it's definitely allowed!

Hi,

For Module A, how would we structure the essay? My prescribed texts are poetry (7 poems) and a film, so I just wanted to know how many poems I have to know, and how many I actually have to write about?

Thanks!

Hey, emilyyyyyyy!

Based on your description, I'm under the assumption you've got Keats and Bright Star? You would have to know all the poems since they might specify one in the exam so I'd prepare maybe two quotes for each of them. You'll only be expected to write about two or three though in exam conditions so I'd learn three really in depth. This is my recommended structure  :)

Introduction
Body 1- Poem 1 (Two quotes)+Film
Body 2- Poem 2 (Two quotes)+Film
Body 3- Poem 1 (One quote)+2 (One quote) +Film
Conclusion

This way, you can maintain a balance for your discussion of the texts. Hope that helps  :)

Angelina  ;D
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 10:23:21 pm by angewina_naguen »
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

emilyyyyyyy

• Forum Regular
« Reply #4418 on: July 08, 2019, 10:57:21 am »
Hi!

Does anyone have tips in studying for each of the advanced modules individually (including the common)? I'm just lost as to how I should study!

emilyyyyyyy

• Forum Regular
« Reply #4419 on: July 08, 2019, 11:29:56 am »
I also have another question :)

How should I answer this question: Explore how the desire for status motivates individual behaviour and acts as the catalyst for conflict in The Merchant of Venice.

I was thinking of writing one paragraph about the desire for status acting as the catalyst for conflict, as per the question, but i don't think I could write a sustained essay only on that. So in this instance, would I write two other paragraphs on 'human experiences' that I think also contribute to the conflict in the play?

Thanks

meerae

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Trendsetter
  • wack.
  • Respect: +86
« Reply #4420 on: July 08, 2019, 09:25:37 pm »
+1
Hi!

Does anyone have tips in studying for each of the advanced modules individually (including the common)? I'm just lost as to how I should study!

Hey Emily!!

Strongly suggest compiling quotes, analysis, themes and possibly a universal thesis/intro for each module. DO NOT write essays and memorise them.
Once you have these all together, begin to practice writing essays to unseen questions in about 40mins. I find this is the most effective way to study, but everyone does study differently and different methods work for different people

How should I answer this question: Explore how the desire for status motivates individual behaviour and acts as the catalyst for conflict in The Merchant of Venice.

I was thinking of writing one paragraph about the desire for status acting as the catalyst for conflict, as per the question, but i don't think I could write a sustained essay only on that. So in this instance, would I write two other paragraphs on 'human experiences' that I think also contribute to the conflict in the play?

For this, I recommend taking like 5 mins (even in the exam, perhaps in reading time?) to just plan out your points/themes.
key words in your question are: desire for status motivating individual behaviour & catalyst for conflict.
So what you'd need to do is find what you're 'conflict' is, I haven't studied Merchant, but look for around 2-3 general 'conflicts' and then link it back to desire for status, with your evidence. I suggest leading with the conflict and working towards that.

Hope this helps!
meerae :)
2018 hsc; mathematics
2019 hsc; english adv english ext 1&2 math ext 1 legal studies economics

HSC w/ a stresshead {class of'19}

therese07

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #4421 on: July 08, 2019, 10:06:35 pm »
Hi there!

I'm currently studying for my trials, and I was wondering for the common module, would we need to memorise another related text? My teacher says no, but other people from other schools say they need to memorise another text. If that's the case, I was wondering how many quotes should I memorise another text? Thank you!
2020: Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Law @ Macquarie University

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #4422 on: July 09, 2019, 10:00:53 pm »
+1
Hi there!

I'm currently studying for my trials, and I was wondering for the common module, would we need to memorise another related text? My teacher says no, but other people from other schools say they need to memorise another text. If that's the case, I was wondering how many quotes should I memorise another text? Thank you!

Hey, therese07!

I am 99% sure that they won't ask for the related text for the Common Module. Since you've already been assessed on the related text internally, it's not going to be required in the exam. However, if you want to play it safe, having around three to four quotes would suffice in the very unlikely event they ask for the related. I would choose a poem or short film so you won't have to spend too much time analysing a dense work  :) Hope that answers your question!

Angelina  ;D
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 01:58:02 pm by angewina_naguen »
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

violet123

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4423 on: July 11, 2019, 08:27:21 pm »
For module B, is it essential to use critics to gain high marks. If so, any recommendation of good critics for Emma?

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #4424 on: July 11, 2019, 08:45:55 pm »
+2
For module B, is it essential to use critics to gain high marks. If so, any recommendation of good critics for Emma?
Hey there,

Critics aren't compulsory in Module B and so you could still do well without them! I think the only reason why teachers encourage students to use critics is to set your essays apart from other essays, but then again, anyone could memorise a quote from a critic!

If you still want to use critics for Emma, using the State Library catalogue is a great place to access some for free. I did a quick Google search and already found articles like this (haven't read it but the abstract sounds interesting).

Hope this helps!
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW