Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 08:24:35 am

Author Topic: VCE Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 604180 times)  Share 

onur369

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +9
Re: VCE Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2010, 07:40:30 pm »
Its only 13 slides?
2011:
Aims-
English 35, Further 45+, Methods 35, Physics 32, Turkish 33, Legal 28.

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +343
« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2010, 07:43:38 pm »
Its only 13 slides?

LOLwut. Maybe he posted different notes... or maybe it wasn't him. =\

Anyhow I might as well post them. It's not made by me! I should stress that.

EDIT: I'm not Kyle Smith. =D I'm Asian. LOL.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 02:50:21 pm by EPL.11.4ever. »

onur369

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2010, 07:46:42 pm »
Holy shit those are some good notes.
2011:
Aims-
English 35, Further 45+, Methods 35, Physics 32, Turkish 33, Legal 28.

lilaznkev1n

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • illuminati
  • Respect: +19
  • School: Haileybury College
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2010, 08:01:56 pm »
hey guys I'll probably answer some questions on this thread whenever i have time to spare as well :)

Got any notes/exams you could upload?.. =D

What's the most effective method of study for a subject like Legal Studies?.. for me personally, I just write down notes from the textbook and answer the questions. That has worked for me this year in Legal 1/2. Legal doesn't scale by the way. =(
I've uploaded my notes for the first five chapters that I did. Not sure where the rest are but when I find it I will upload it.

What I find effective is doing lots of 6/8/10 mark questions as these questions are comprehensive and the points in the high mark questions can be summarized into lower mark questions.
Also it is really helpful knowing relevant cases to the relevant questions that you can add if you have time as the examiners will see that you have a wide knowledge of the area of study.
Lastly, as my teacher always say: "Act as if the examiner knows nothing about Legal Studies"
2010: Accounting [45], Legal Studies [42]
2011: Methods [38], English [41], Chem [37], Revolutions [44], Vietnamese [22]
ATAR: 97.45
2012-2014: B.Com @ Melb

lilaznkev1n

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • illuminati
  • Respect: +19
  • School: Haileybury College
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2010, 08:02:56 pm »
Chapter 5: Role of the Courts

EDIT: Found my notes on the relationship between lawmaking bodies and strengths and weaknesses of parliament and courts.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 08:11:09 pm by lilaznkev1n »
2010: Accounting [45], Legal Studies [42]
2011: Methods [38], English [41], Chem [37], Revolutions [44], Vietnamese [22]
2012-2014: B.Com @ Melb

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2010, 08:08:04 pm »
Great notes! =D

This will come in handy later on.

ech_93

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2010, 08:13:58 pm »
Also, if you don't find these notes helpful or just don't want them.... i understand, but just let me know so i don't upload heaps of notes for no reason
:)
ATAR aim: 90+
2012- ???

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2010, 08:15:27 pm »
OMG THANK YOU. I think... I... love you guys! xD

Do what I did for Accounting, post them all up!

andy456

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2010, 09:13:38 pm »
From what I know, apparently the "Mabo v. Crown case" is must to know.

Yea, i'll finish unit 3 off, and know it back to front so i can ace all my SACs, we have a good top 5 in the cohort this year, competition..
Andy, that sounds really cool..! Also, for your statement of marks, did you have to get your principal's signature on the sheet, as it says that you do on it..
Congratulations on your ATAR, completely owned your goal!

Same here, I want to ace all my SACs - I'm not going to rely on my cohort. My cohort this year isn't that good - we have like 6 or 7 students who are good and that's about it. We only have ~25 students doing Legal next year.

The highest score this year from my school was 43, no one at my school got above 45 for Legal (I don't think).

I didn't learn the Mabo case and didnt use it in the exam and still did ok.
You guys should aim for 50's all around.
Just a few tips:

-Dont get hung up on SAC's. Sure they are important to get rank 1 in if you go to a disadvanaged school and for glory but its not essential to 100% every SAC. I ended up on rank 1 with ~90/100 for Unit 3 and 94/100 for Unit 4. It obviously comes down to exams as my scores must have been mopderated up because if they hadnt i wouldnt have gotten a 49. And yes I did go to a crappy public school whose median SS was 28 in 2009. It goes to show that school shouldnt impact you.

-Knowing the course is great but if you cant answer the question in the way the examiner wants you are in big trouble. For example in one of this years questions I accidently stuffed up the age brackets for fingerprinting, but all was not lost. You have got to interpret the question in a way that allows you to show great depth. People say that case examples are essential to set you above the rest but I can honestly say I did not use a case for every question. Probably only 3-4 at most.

-One of the worst things in legal is TIME!!!! I had a tendency to spend forever on shorter questions and then be strpped for time in the last few. This is the absolute wrong thing to do. Spread your time according to the weighting of the question.

I'm definately available to help you guys out next year and these holidays so pm or email me or contact me in whatever way possible (if you call me that would be creepy and i probably wouldnt help you then :D ). Also Ive ordered a statement of marks for legal to find out exactly what I got in the exam.
Once I get my sh*t together I will start advertising tutoring also if anyone is interested.
I think that was your comment.
Nah no principals signature. Statement of marks just tells me what I got for each question.
Thanks. I may have underestimated my exam performance I think.
There were only 6 people in my legal class this year. My score is the highest legal score my school has gotten. So dont worry about previous years performance either.
VCE 2010: Eng 42 | Legal 49 | Chem 37 | MM 34 | Indo SL 33 |

2011: Bachelor of Arts Monash University
2012: Bachelor of Commerce?? Please!!

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2010, 02:19:47 pm »
Just out of curiosity, where is everyone up to?..

I've done the first 2 chapters and a bit (depending on your textbook - I'm using "Making & Breaking the Law"), which is: "Law and society: an introduction", "The Australian parliamentary system" and "Changing the law" (which I'm doing now). I'm just writing notes and answering the textbook questions.

Cappuccinos

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2010, 05:10:50 pm »
Ahh, the attachments aren't working for me? Is it just me or...?   :'(

Um at school we did like 2 weeks of Yr 12 and covered the first 3 dot points (Structure/Role of Parliament, Principles of the Parliamentry System and why laws need to change)  from the Key Knowledge bit from AOS1 in the Study Design.
We did a practice SAC on the topics^ as well.

Apart from that so I haven't done much yet, don't have my Main Textbook yet (Key Concepts in Legal Studies).
I Might have a read through 'A+ Legal Notes' and do some questions when I can be bothered.. ><

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2010, 05:45:26 pm »
Ahh, the attachments aren't working for me? Is it just me or...?   :'(

Um at school we did like 2 weeks of Yr 12 and covered the first 3 dot points (Structure/Role of Parliament, Principles of the Parliamentry System and why laws need to change)  from the Key Knowledge bit from AOS1 in the Study Design.
We did a practice SAC on the topics^ as well.

Apart from that so I haven't done much yet, don't have my Main Textbook yet (Key Concepts in Legal Studies).
I Might have a read through 'A+ Legal Notes' and do some questions when I can be bothered.. ><

Works for me. =\ Click on the file?

That's better than what we did. Technically, we finished the 1/2 course at end of Term 3. Our teachers decided to add other stuff to fill up the time - i.e. Sports & Law, Wills & Inheritance - which isn't even on the 1/2 course. Yeah, I have that "A+ Legal Notes" as well, seems good. I'm using 2 different textbooks - the one my school prescribed and another one I downloaded. LOL.

burbs

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Fuck da police - Aristotle
  • Respect: +227
« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2010, 05:47:57 pm »
OK Starting properly today, aim is to finish unit three by this time next week.

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2010, 05:53:02 pm »
OK Starting properly today, aim is to finish unit three by this time next week.

Really? If you do, pro.

I don't plan to finish Unit 3 till about 1 or 2 weeks out from the start of school. I'm also going to one of those Legal TSFX lectures in January for the notes.

burbs

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Fuck da police - Aristotle
  • Respect: +227
« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2010, 06:13:28 pm »
Yeah I was considering that too, may see you there!