Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 09:57:35 pm

Author Topic: Overloading subjects  (Read 1350 times)  Share 

nikki21

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Overloading subjects
« on: July 10, 2020, 04:07:09 pm »
Hi y'all!

I'm a 1st year science student @ Monash this year! So I think I'm gonna fail one of the maths units (I didn't take the easiest one available *cries* cause I thought I could manage it. I always sucked at math). My other 3 subjects will get me a low 70s average.

Sem 1 was harsh cause of covid causing financial trouble/stress, which is why I feel I didn't do as well as I could. Now, with a more stable job, I'll have WAY more time to study.

I need to finish a full-time subject load this year. I'm trying to transfer to another course and another uni next year and a pre-req is to finish one full-time year. So, if I was to fail maths, what are the chances monash will let me overload next sem (so I can finish a full-time year)?

I'm not sure how strict monash is about letting people overload. But if I can't overload it would seriously suck and probably cost me more time in a course I really don't wanna be in anymore. I'm feeling super stressed about it! I have some documents showing financial trouble through 1st half of the year and can arrange a letter from my current employer saying I'm on a contract with them (idk if that will help)?

Any input would be appreciated :p
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 04:09:59 pm by nikki21 »

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: Overloading subjects
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2020, 04:25:42 pm »
+5
Firstly, results are not out yet so you may have not failed the unit.

Obviously you can always apply for overloading but some applications are more likely to be successful than others.

Monash says:
"Overloading is to enrol in more than the standard number of units in each year. It is usually limited to students who have:

completed 48 credit points in one calendar year
    achieved a credit average or higher in the previous year."

48 credit points is a whole year of full time study + the credit average is needed. It is difficult for students who have already failed a unit to get approval for overloading since that just makes the students circumstances much more difficult. When students fail subjects sometimes they even suggest underloading if the study load is too much for the student.

Obviously still apply if you need to though, usually these are assessed on a case by case basis.

DoctorTwo

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2020, 09:22:34 pm »
Quick question that is semi-related to this. I am probably going to fail one unit this semester, which means I'll likely end up graduating at least one semester after expected. I read somewhere that many (if not, most) students do not complete their course in the minimum time (3 years for BA, for example) because they fail some units, which pushes back other units, and causes them to graduate later. Is this true? Thank you.

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2020, 09:55:20 pm »
+3
Quick question that is semi-related to this. I am probably going to fail one unit this semester, which means I'll likely end up graduating at least one semester after expected. I read somewhere that many (if not, most) students do not complete their course in the minimum time (3 years for BA, for example) because they fail some units, which pushes back other units, and causes them to graduate later. Is this true? Thank you.
If you fail the unit you can still do summer/winter units and try to complete your degree within the minimum time.

I don't know what sort of percentages don't finish their degree within the minimum time but it is definitely not uncommon. For degrees like law, engineering and associated double degrees there will always be quite a few who take an extra 6-12 months for a variety of reasons.