Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 05:06:03 am

Author Topic: Help with structure and interpreting essay questions  (Read 1288 times)  Share 

Jfernando312

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
Help with structure and interpreting essay questions
« on: August 15, 2019, 05:35:46 pm »
So i have an exam coming up for english extension 1 and i was wondering if somebody could give me an opinion on how to structure responses to these type of questions and how to build a well-developed thesis for them? My module is focused on the cultural values of text and all about postcolonialism and encounters with the other, like concepts of binary oppositions, hybridity, where the colonizers affect the colonized and their interactions, how they shape each others views. My prescribed texts are Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad, Exterminate all the brutes by Sven Lindqvist and the related text I have chosen is Kite Runner.  i added the questions below
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 05:55:22 pm by Jfernando312 »

Jfernando312

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
Re: Help with structure and interpreting essay questions
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 05:51:19 pm »
So i have an exam coming up for english extension 1 and i was wondering if somebody could give me an opinion on how to structure responses to these type of questions and how to build a well-developed thesis for them? My module is focused on the cultural values of text and all about postcolonialism and encounters with the other, like concepts of binary oppositions, hybridity, where the colonizers affect the colonized and their interactions, how they shape each others views. My prescribed texts are Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad, Exterminate all the brutes by Sven Lindqvist and the related text I have chosen is Kite Runner.

Question 1: “At the heart of Postcolonialism is the analysis of ‘colonial discourse’ – the politics of the colonizer as expressed through linguistic codes and practices, the exercise of political domination through cultural means, and the silencing of other voices and practices, which did not conform to the norms set by colonial culture.” Do you agree? Explain how postcolonial texts analyse `colonial discourse’. In your response you must refer to TWO prescribed texts, at least ONE related text of your own choosing and at least ONE postcolonial theorist. 

Question 2: “Any identity is always heterogenous and must be theorised as such.” How has your study of postcolonial texts contributed to your understanding of the constructedness of identity? In your response, refer to TWO prescribed texts, and at least ONE related text of your own choosing.

Question 3: “Until the lion learns how to write, every story will glorify the hunter.” Do you agree? Discuss this statement with reference to TWO prescribed texts and at least ONE related text of your own choosing.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 05:55:01 pm by Jfernando312 »