Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 03:02:18 pm

Author Topic: EngExt1 : Genre SF -- Altered Carbon  (Read 3011 times)  Share 

ateenytinybear

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
EngExt1 : Genre SF -- Altered Carbon
« on: February 10, 2018, 04:23:02 pm »
A call to the universe to ask if anyone has watched Altered Carbon on Netflix and thinks it could be a good SF supp. text?
Also thinking of doing SOMA [the game], and Brave New World as other related texts/ research.
HSC2018 ~ Adv. English // Ext I English // Ext II English // Adv. Mathematics // Biology // Chemistry // Hospitality

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
Re: EngExt1 : Genre SF -- Altered Carbon
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 07:00:13 pm »
+2
A call to the universe to ask if anyone has watched Altered Carbon on Netflix and thinks it could be a good SF supp. text?
Also thinking of doing SOMA [the game], and Brave New World as other related texts/ research.
I'm no English wiz, and don't know exactly what sort of stuff you're looking for in it as an ext 1 English text, but i don't think its particularity well made, or very good IMO
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

NowYouTseMe

• MOTM: JUL 18
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 08:10:29 pm »
+2
oh my god another scifi student

i haven't seen it yet (although I definitely plan to) but if it displays clear SF conventions and reveals something important about the development of the SF genre when contrasted with your prescribed texts, i'd say it's worth giving a try. i'd pitch it to a teacher first though just bc it's a recent text, as well as a different text type to your traditional related texts so it might be risky
HSC 2016
Information Processes and Technology: 90

HSC 2018
Advanced English: 95 | Extension 1 English: 47 | Extension 2 English: 42 | Legal Studies: 95 | Modern History: 94 | French Continuers: 84 | Mathematics Advanced: 89

LAT 2018: 88 (90th Percentile)

ATAR: 98.05

ateenytinybear

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 08:27:28 pm »
oh my god another scifi student

i haven't seen it yet (although I definitely plan to) but if it displays clear SF conventions and reveals something important about the development of the SF genre when contrasted with your prescribed texts, i'd say it's worth giving a try. i'd pitch it to a teacher first though just bc it's a recent text, as well as a different text type to your traditional related texts so it might be risky

1. thankyou!! 2.be warned NowYouTseME before you watch AC. It has so. Much. Nudity. Definitely not a show for the family. hahahaha

also keen to see you around the ExtEng.1 forums ;)
HSC2018 ~ Adv. English // Ext I English // Ext II English // Adv. Mathematics // Biology // Chemistry // Hospitality

L3YL4

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 08:10:15 pm »
Hey Everyone!
I have been having a bit of troubling in creating interesting plot lines in SF! I'm not really used to writing in this genre, and as such I'm finding it difficult to create a creative piece of writing that effectively incorporates SF conventions. Does anyone have any advice/inspiration?
Would be much appreciated! Thanks!

NowYouTseMe

• MOTM: JUL 18
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 09:03:50 pm »
I personally have the same problem in that I don't usually write in SF but I basically just put aside conventions and tried to develop a good SF-based idea.

To do that, I took a development in science and technology, projected it into the future and then basically used that speculative technology/novum and its ramifications to explore an aspect of the human condition and how it would be affected as a result of the novum. Once I had a solid idea of what I wanted to write(within the genre restrictions), the conventions somewhat came naturally.

Also, just submit creative pieces to your teacher lmao. Even if it's pure garbage, you can usually still reflect on it based off of teacher feedback and guidance.
HSC 2016
Information Processes and Technology: 90

HSC 2018
Advanced English: 95 | Extension 1 English: 47 | Extension 2 English: 42 | Legal Studies: 95 | Modern History: 94 | French Continuers: 84 | Mathematics Advanced: 89

LAT 2018: 88 (90th Percentile)

ATAR: 98.05

ateenytinybear

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 07:48:52 pm »
+1
Hey Everyone!
I have been having a bit of troubling in creating interesting plot lines in SF! I'm not really used to writing in this genre, and as such I'm finding it difficult to create a creative piece of writing that effectively incorporates SF conventions. Does anyone have any advice/inspiration?

My teacher told us to profile the Dune world, and to use that world as practice for a creative. So use the world, and put it in the POV of a character that didn't actually exist in the original. Using/imitating other authors writings to practice your own is pretty helpful IMO :)

L3YL4

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 12:03:18 pm »
I personally have the same problem in that I don't usually write in SF but I basically just put aside conventions and tried to develop a good SF-based idea.

To do that, I took a development in science and technology, projected it into the future and then basically used that speculative technology/novum and its ramifications to explore an aspect of the human condition and how it would be affected as a result of the novum. Once I had a solid idea of what I wanted to write(within the genre restrictions), the conventions somewhat came naturally.

Also, just submit creative pieces to your teacher lmao. Even if it's pure garbage, you can usually still reflect on it based off of teacher feedback and guidance.

Hahaha so true about submitting drafts to teacher. Thanks a bunch, I'll give it a go!

HeadChef

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2018, 08:28:48 pm »
Hey, just a heads up, my teacher for sci fi said to steer clear of TV shows... Generally they are too broad and have too much scope. Unless your doing an episode of an anthology/ stand alone episode. Its a pretty good show though so go for your life

holky

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2018, 07:33:36 pm »
Hey Everyone!

Hey, one thing my extension teacher got me to do was brainstorm current issues and then choose some and brainstorm extensions or absurdisms for those
For example - say one of the issues was same-sex marriage, an extension/absurdism of that could be alien/human marriage or robot/human marriage
Or, he got me to brainstorm human relationships with the other - so I came up with a huge list of like slave, master, partner, God, worshipper etc. and then you can take one of those and expand it into a story
And remember, your story doesn't have to be on a big scale or address a whole world - my one is about a mother and a child and doesn't go into great, grand detail

English Advanced  English Extension 1 Modern History CAFS Music 1 Drama

Mathematics 84