Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:28:43 am

Author Topic: Second Round Offers  (Read 3270 times)  Share 

Nana1999

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Second Round Offers
« on: January 23, 2018, 05:16:25 pm »
Hello, can someone explain to me the chances of getting a second round offer if you meet the clearly in atar and the prerequisites?

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
Re: Second Round Offers
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 05:20:29 pm »
+1
Was the course you want now below the one you got offered in round 1? I was in a similar position.

The only case where this wouldn't happen is if you failed to satisfy something specific to that course (e.g. for education courses now you need to do a non-academic test for personality etc) OR if all places have been filled in the first round.

So in that case, unless the above has occurred, then you have a very good chance.
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

Nana1999

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 10:12:04 pm »
The course I want is below the one i got offered and only around 40 something was offered in first round. I do meet the prerequisites and the clearly in Atar. So I have a good chance?

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 10:15:05 pm »
The course I want is below the one i got offered and only around 40 something was offered in first round. I do meet the prerequisites and the clearly in Atar. So I have a good chance?

Unless the "40 something" that was offered filled the course quota set by the university, you have a very strong chance. Put it as your #1 if you really want it. Places are also capped based on place type - e.g. CSP/full fee. Only a certain number of CSP places are allocated for each course.

I'd accept the offer from round 1 first to make sure you have a fallback in case nothing else happens (you can withdraw from it if you get something else in round 2) and have a backup preference for round 2. Make sure you are in the best position and don't assume you'll get something in future rounds.

Move the offered preference to the bottom because only everything above the preference offered in round 1 is considered for round 2 (same process for rounds 3+). Same process applies: only the highest offer made to you in terms of your preferences is shown. The rest are ignored.

It could have very well been the case that you were offered a place, but given you were offered something higher, you won't know whether you received it or not from round 1.

That's really unfortunate. You are definitely in the same position as me back in early 2016.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 10:21:06 pm by Aaron »

Nana1999

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 10:22:28 pm »
Ohhhh I see now, did you end up getting the offer you want? Btw, thanks heaps for the info :)

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 10:25:15 pm »
Ohhhh I see now, did you end up getting the offer you want? Btw, thanks heaps for the info :)

I did :)

Have faith (but don't ignore the idea that it might not happen)

Nana1999

• Trailblazer
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 10:28:06 pm »
Hope you don’t mind me asking but was it second round?

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 10:29:44 pm »
+1
Hope you don’t mind me asking but was it second round?

Yep. It was for a masters degree though so different circumstances to a bachelor (as in, you need a degree to apply for them rather than getting applicants from non-year 12/mature entry plus year 12 school finishers).

Nana1999

• Trailblazer
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 10:31:07 pm »
Oh okay, do you think I have a good chance though? (Meeting all the requirements)

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 10:31:55 pm »
+1
Oh okay, do you think I have a good chance though? (Meeting all the requirements)

Unless the "40 something" that was offered filled the course quota set by the university, you have a very strong chance.

Nana1999

• Trailblazer
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2018, 10:33:38 pm »
Okay, thanks heaps :)))