Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 08:38:36 am

Author Topic: I'm picking up Economics 3/4 without 1/2 how should I prepare?  (Read 2757 times)  Share 

Kindergarten

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
  • School: High
  • School Grad Year: 2016
I'm picking up Economics 3/4 without 1/2 how should I prepare?
« on: November 02, 2015, 07:57:55 pm »
I'm doing Busman 3/4 this year and politics 1/2 i'm pretty good at both so I thought i'd pick up economics which I told is kinda like business bu with a bit more politics (keeping up with a current affairs and what not).

So what things should I do to prepare?
2015: Software Development | Business Management
2016: English language | Informatics | Global Politics| Economics | Legal

yeluke

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • School: Catholic Regional College, Sydenham
Re: I'm picking up Economics 3/4 without 1/2 how should I prepare?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 01:00:53 am »
+2
Hey! Economics sounds like a good choice for you considering you like Business Management and Politics. Economics is known as "the science of money," a lot of the concepts in the course intertwine and link together in one way or another. For the subject, you have to be able to apply knowledge to real life situations and understand the links between ideas. Exam questions often draw on various parts of the course, not just single study design points (in this way, it is different to Business Management). Economics helps you understand a lot of current events and gives you in-depth knowledge about relatively important lifestyle choices.

To prepare for the course, I'd say do the following:
  • Understand basic economic concepts - these are things covered during the Unit 1/2 course (such as supply and demand, relative scarcity, etc.) and are further explained in Unit 3, Area of Study 1. It would be helpful to access the Economics study design, and ensure you understand these concepts thoroughly through online research (the beauty of economics is that there is loads of research and videos explaining concepts) or accessing student-made notes.
  • Begin writing your own notes- I found that starting my notes before the year commenced helped me focus on the little things I didn't understand during class time, as I already grasped the main concept over the holidays.
  • Talk to the 3/4 Economics teacher and ask for their advice. They may give you the textbook, or help you focus on areas that students struggle with.
  • Get a general feel of the Australian economy. Knowing current economic events and conditions are pivotal in the 3/4 course. One tip to be aware of the economy is to write a weekly, fortnightly or monthly summary of economic events, statistics etc. and relate them to the course. Reading RBA bulletins is also helpful.

On a side note, I'm selling my 3/4 VCE Economics notes, going over areas that students find tough, and the textbooks do not explain well, going over the whole study design, offering helpful advice and tips for studying Economics, and outlining current economic events and their links to the course (to save you from endless research), for $15.  :)

All the best for next year. Take this advice on board and you'll do well!

Clara_tanone

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 04:38:28 am »
On a side note, I'm selling my 3/4 VCE Economics notes, going over areas that students find tough, and the textbooks do not explain well, going over the whole study design, offering helpful advice and tips for studying Economics, and outlining current economic events and their links to the course (to save you from endless research), for $15.  :)

Are you gonna sell your textbook as well?

yeluke

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • School: Catholic Regional College, Sydenham
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 04:06:12 pm »
Are you gonna sell your textbook as well?

Sorry! I'm only selling my notes via PDF  :)

Cranium002

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 12:35:51 pm »
1. Understand the concepts
2. Understand the cause and effect scenarios.
3. Know definitions
4. Know how to answer different types of questions <== Understand what the question is asking for.

Hope this helps :)