Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:20:00 pm

Author Topic: Gotta Go Fast - Poet's Running Journal.  (Read 28366 times)

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
  • Respect: +775
Re: Gotta Go Fast - Poet's Running Journal.
« Reply #60 on: November 29, 2020, 08:18:29 pm »
+6

My next comp will likely be run in 2 weeks' time as this weekend I'll be in NSW. But I'll keep up the training and hopefully beat my time soon!!

ALSO MY COACH SAID HE'S PROUD OF ME AND SAID HE THINKS I CAN RUN AN 800M AT SUB 2:50 SOON AAAAAA OKAY BYE
Awesome job running today!!!!
hopefully you have gained some wisdom and won't stress as much before the next competition!
Looking forward to seeing how you perform in a couple weeks
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > Can draw really good spiders
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #61 on: November 29, 2020, 08:26:05 pm »
+6
Thank you! And congrats on the green Ps! Welcome to the club ;)
 Ty, it was fun!! <3
 Ooft mood, 60m is such a teeny baby race, so little and cute uwu - I envy sprinters like nothing else

HI IT IS ME
THE ANXIETY OF TODAY WAS WILD SO I NEEDED A NAP BEFORE UPDATING SORRY
BUT
I did it!!!!!!!! I got there on time and got my racing numbers and stood on the track and ran like... a drunk sloth.

Nah jokes, I ran beyond any time I'd have imagined for myself and absolutely smashed my estimate of 3 minutes or so. My time was 2:10 for the 600m and I am trying to be very proud of myself for it.

oh and I said if there were photos I'd share, there weren't any from track but I have a bad one from Princes Park lol sus the Nike rep
You did it!!! <3 I'm so proud (I was going to say that I feel like a proud mum, but that's a) weird and b) I'm not that old, am I? ahaha)

(Also Princes Park is nice for running around, given it's right across from uni ahaha)
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2020, 08:40:21 pm »
+3
Great job Poet! :D
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
  • Respect: +2790
« Reply #63 on: December 08, 2020, 12:06:33 pm »
+8
Hello my dear dumplings

Thank you all for the congratulations!! It's been a little over a week and I'm feeling good (physically). Mentally, I'm struggling a bit with just wanting to hide away. But the weather this week has been good for running in a tee and leggings rather than something I'd be more self-conscious in which is good!

I ran a total of 14.6kms last week which seems like less but it's because one was a race and Sunday was a shorter 5km rather than 6-8 because I was exhausted from Saturday driving 11 hours. This week I decided not to compete as the available race is a 1500m (and I'm not at that level yet) so my distance will increase again.

This week we got:
Monday: S&C (done)
Tuesday: 5 x 400m w/ 90s rest, 3 x 100m w/ walk back rest
Wednesday: Pilates
Thursday: 3x(4x200m) - 1st set off 45s, 2nd off 75s, 3rd off 2min - 4min break between sets
Friday: physio reassessment
Saturday: 45-50min run & cold water therapy
Sunday: rest

So now, adios amigos :D
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #64 on: December 08, 2020, 12:12:23 pm »
+6
Nice work :)

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #65 on: December 08, 2020, 02:30:26 pm »
+4
Hello my dear dumplings

Thank you all for the congratulations!! It's been a little over a week and I'm feeling good (physically). Mentally, I'm struggling a bit with just wanting to hide away. But the weather this week has been good for running in a tee and leggings rather than something I'd be more self-conscious in which is good!

I ran a total of 14.6kms last week which seems like less but it's because one was a race and Sunday was a shorter 5km rather than 6-8 because I was exhausted from Saturday driving 11 hours. This week I decided not to compete as the available race is a 1500m (and I'm not at that level yet) so my distance will increase again.

This week we got:
Monday: S&C (done)
Tuesday: 5 x 400m w/ 90s rest, 3 x 100m w/ walk back rest
Wednesday: Pilates
Thursday: 3x(4x200m) - 1st set off 45s, 2nd off 75s, 3rd off 2min - 4min break between sets
Friday: physio reassessment
Saturday: 45-50min run & cold water therapy
Sunday: rest

So now, adios amigos :D
You've got this, Poet <3

Poet

• Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
« Reply #66 on: December 16, 2020, 01:54:53 pm »
+8
You've got this, Poet <3
BUT I DON'T GOT THIS

*queue pterodactyl screeching*

Last week I managed ten (10) stupid baby kilometres of running. I didn't do my Thursday session (napped in the car instead because I felt dizzy and sick and awful) and reduced my weekend session. I'm feeling a little better this week so managed to get through yesterday's session - hopefully this week my body is in a nice physical state.

So far I've completed Monday as my rest day and Tuesday's run of 5x400m and 3x100m. It was actually such good weather at the track yesterday and the best thing is that the girl who talks to me at track has moved back to Victoria after finishing uni in Adelaide!! So I have a friend and that will definitely help me be less anxious about everything.

My cat is sitting on my mousepad with her butt on my keyboard so this has been interesting to type out - anyway today is Wednesday and I'm going to do my stretching routine after shopping. As for the rest of the week:

Thursday: 1km race
Friday: pilates/gym work class
Saturday: 45-50 min gentle run
Sunday: holidaY TIME BECAUSE I'M GOING ON HOLIDAYS

That's all, I'll see you soon my dears <3

Poet

• Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
« Reply #67 on: December 28, 2020, 03:37:40 pm »
+13
Wow, 2020 is almost over. Mad, huh? thank goodness

That means it's time for an annual running summary!

I started getting into running in late January, but only began recording things properly in mid-March when I got my first running watch. Since March 15th, I have run a total of 529kms in 59 hours.
💫 2 months of this time was spent hospitalised.
💫 I've competed once in AVSL competition.
💫 My best time for a 5km is 28.24.
💫 My fastest recorded 1km is 4.20.
💫 My longest run is 8.2kms.
And honestly, I think that's a pretty damn good effort.

We've been sick, isolated, unmotivated, limited; you name it. 529kms may not be too much (in comparison with other competitive athletes eek), but it's still 529kms more than I would have done without the encouragement and support I got from you guys. So thank you. <3

This last week has been a quiet one for me in the years' conclusion due to illness. I'll pick it up again this week starting with my 40min workout today as I woke up considerably less nauseous. It will be my first week with my new fancy running watch - a Garmin Forerunner 245 Music!!! (Very swish, thanks Erutepa!!) As for the rest of the week, here's what's in store:
Tuesday: 4 x 800m w/ 90s rest
Wednesday: Workout
Thursday: 30-40min easy run
Friday: Rest
Saturday: Light run, drills, stride-throughs
Sunday: 30-40min

I may switch around my Friday and Saturday as my holidays with Erutepa's fam begin on the 2nd. WHOOP WHOOP

My goals for 2021 are a bit more ambitious and I'm trying to stay consistent. In the next 368 days or so, I hope to:
✨ Run 1,000kms in a year (:0)
✨ Compete 10 times in Track and X-Country
✨ Run 10kms in one session
✨ Run 5kms in 25 minutes or less (5min per km pace)
✨ Buy spikes and new runners
✨ (Bonus) Get a defined 6-pack and own it :D

Woo, making New Years' Resolutions early! But you know what - goals are dynamic and progressive and should be made year-round. Hopefully this journal provides motivation to you, dear reader, as well as myself. Sending lots of sweat-covered love your way this holiday season. Get plenty of sleep, hydrate, and remember that you're precious.

Poet

• Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2021, 10:03:08 am »
+12
Hey babes!!! How have we been??

It's been a busy week living in the mountains. Starting off 2021 strong!

Unfortunately I came down with a cold (got tested dw it's def not COVID) early in the week and spent a few days I would have hoped to be smashing out kms in sitting on the bathroom floor with severe nausea. I'm improving now though, and will be running a session today on the flattest bit of road I can find. Slow and steady wins the race!

To recap what I've done since my last update:

Last week, I was meant to do an easy 30-40 minute Thursday up at the You Yang ranges with my running squad. Turns out my coach tricked me into running one of the hardest trails up and then 3.2kms down. I ended up running over 8kms with three other women around my age and managed to keep up!! Absolutely wrecked myself but it's an effort I'm still unbelievably proud of.

Saturday was a 15 minute jog with some strides and drills, which I completed as my first run of the new year in preparation for Sunday's longer effort. Unfortunately Sunday was the first day I came down ill and I wasn't able to run.

This Tuesday we went up to Falls Creek and ran along the high plains for a 8x2min session with 60sec rest walks. With warmup and cooldown I ran about 7kms.

Yesterday I did my 30min workout with plenty of stretches and took a hot bath to try and clear up more congestion so I could run my 10x1min session better today. After a restful night in an actual bed (after spending 4 days sleeping on the floor) I think I should be able to complete today's session okay.

As for the weekend, we're going home on Saturday for a 30-40min run and a Sunday light run with drills and strides. Will try to remember to update on Monday!

Love y'all and am keen for the upcoming online meetup!! 🥰

Poet

• Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2021, 04:53:47 pm »
+15
So, running. Am I right? Ha ha.

This journal is beginning to feel like a running joke. Well... I guess life feels like that, and running is part of my life.

My mental state has hit a trough again (and a pretty deep one, too.) I'm up and down, but mostly down, and have been finding it very difficult to reach out, get out, and work out. Thankfully, I have a few people who really care for me and want to do things together. And, if I try to not do things, I'll get remorselessly pestered till I do.
One of those things is running.

So, in the past 3 weeks, I haven't actually done a single session by myself. I've been getting out of the house purely at the behest of others. I want that to change, but it's going to take some time. I know that. For now, I'm just grateful for the incessant love I'm given. It really is a privilege to have people willing to drag you by your hair out of bed to look after yourself. :P

Okay, down to business -
I've been struggling with a bit of a plateau in running since early January, so fitness has been maintained but not improved. In the 4 weeks since my last update I broke the weekly goal of 20km zero (0) times. Silly noodle. Running an average of 5-7kms per session and increasing a bit of speed but not distance (my goal is distance because, ya know, I want to be a middle-distance runner) while my boyfriend runs 70km per week. Feels B A D, MY GUY. I KNOW YOU'RE GONNA BRING UP THE FACT THAT YOU'VE BEEN RUNNING FOR MUCH LONGER BUT SHUSH I WANT TO COMPLAIN

Anywayyyyy today I ran what was meant to be my weekend session of 35 minutes (I was busy wallowing in self-hatred over the actual weekend) and I’ll be at the track for both tomorrow and Thursday. On Saturday I’ve signed up to compete again – this time in an 800m AND a 3000m!! I’ve never run a track race longer than 1000m (especially an official one!) so this is going to be wild. Granted, I’ll be going slow, but aaa anxiety has been super amplified lately so it’ll be a challenge to get out there and finish.

Let’s lay out the week now:
Monday: 35-45 minute easy run
Tuesday: 3x600m w/90s R then 4x300m w/90s R
Wednesday: Stretch/workout
Thursday: 10x200m w/60-90s R
Saturday: AVSL 800m, 3000m
Sunday: Rest/walk

See you later. I’ll let you know how Saturday pans out. 😊

Poet

• Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2021, 09:11:28 pm »
+11
Hi <3

Super anxious lately so v short update :)

Results for 800 and 3000 comps on Saturday 06/02:
800m estimated race time - 3:15.
    Result - 3:11.80

3000m estimated race time - 20:00.
    Result - 15:49.03

Parkrun is back (5km social runs) and I ran the Altona Parkrun yesterday at 26:21 to smash my old PB of 28:48. Goal is now to reach sub 25min for a 5km race.

I also demolished my 20km/week goal this week, tallying up 26.2kms of recorded running in 7 days.

Breathing through these next few weeks as I fight with my brain. Running is a great outlet. Love you guys <3

Poet

• Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
« Reply #71 on: March 21, 2021, 04:53:23 pm »
+10
G'day, loves.

Track season is drawing to a close. Life goes by so quickly it's actually insane. Yesterday was Round 10 of AVSL, so of course I had to compete! My body hasn't been nice to me at all for the past few weeks and my training was reduced to the point where I'd run a total of 9kms in 7 days. Which is still getting out and running, but it's not my aim. I am just working on being as consistent as I can be with my running routine despite the constant illness. (This week I've done 14kms. Ugh. :(( )

Yesterday was gorgeous (a little humid but what can you do) and almost perfect for a run. I had spent the morning battling some pretty bad nausea and hadn't slept well in days because my nights consisted of dry-wretching over the toilet bowl. So I did a tiny warmup of 1.65kms including strides (my aim was 2-2.5kms) and went into the race feeling frustrated and like I wouldn't be able to perform. Thankfully, the magic of competition hit and I not only finished the 800m race, but managed a PB of 3:06.10 and came 3rd in my heat! As an 800m is 2 laps of the track, I tried to keep my pace fairly even the whole way through and managed split times of almost exactly 93 seconds per lap. Woohoo!

If I wasn't feeling so ill I would have tried to keep right behind the person in 2nd place, but they pulled away in the first lap and I decided I would blow out if I tried to catch them haha! I was overtaken by 2 other competitors but managed to make back my place on the last 200m. So despite everything (or in spite of everything?) I'm very happy with that. I'm not sure if my squad made it to the playoffs but if so I'll compete then. Otherwise I think my next race is the Geelong Marathon's 7km in April! Great preparation for the cross country season where I'm interested in running relay.
We'll see.

I think I'm gonna go for a walk/jog in the rain now. I'll see you guys later :D

Edit: Yay my squad made it Playoffs! Looks like I'll be competing in the 1500m at Albert Park, Victoria's Olympic training venue!! :o (No thanks to me, of course - my squad is full of state and national competitors so I'm a bit of a tag-along hehe. But it'll be an amazing experience!!)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 07:12:36 pm by Poet »

lm21074

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +594
« Reply #72 on: March 21, 2021, 06:05:40 pm »
+4
Congratulations Poet!! 💪🔥

You've inspired me to want to take up running!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 06:08:27 pm by lm21074 »
2021: VCE
2022: Science / Arts @ Monash

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #73 on: March 21, 2021, 10:28:33 pm »
+3
Woohoo Poet - so proud of you! <3

Sucks to feel a little ill though :)

Poet

• Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
« Reply #74 on: March 28, 2021, 11:22:40 pm »
+15
Me? Updating after a week? Impossible :0

Woohoo Poet - so proud of you! <3
Sucks to feel a little ill though :)
Love you <3

Congratulations Poet!! 💪🔥
You've inspired me to want to take up running!
Thanks! And oooh yes! It's not for everyone, especially heading into winter, but if you try it and find a sense of achievement I reckon it's a fantastic way to keep fit (and a good stress outlet!)

Hello! How are we this fine evening night?

It's been 7 days since I mentioned my 800m race. This week my body has been a lot nicer to me (I was only up 2/7 nights sick!) so I was able to complete a 22.67km week with fair ease. My longest session this week was 7.9kms and I'm super happy with that. Heading up to the 7km race I'm doing in 2 weeks, my track sessions are getting longer - so last week I ran my Tuesday as 3x600m, 4x400m efforts, and my Thursday as 10x1min on/off efforts (a little over 200m per effort).

This week is no exception:
Monday: Workout
Tuesday: 3x800m, 3x400m
Wednesday: Squash and bouldering(?)
Thursday: Halftime Fartlek
Saturday/Sunday: 45min easy run

All of my sessions bar the weekend long runs include a 2km warmup and cooldown - so 4 extra kms in total. If I can keep well (stupid body :( ), it looks like I'll be smashing consistent 20+km weeks till I go into recovery :))

BUT THAT'S NOT WHAT I WANT TO WRITE ABOUT
I'M HERE TO TELL YOU THAT I RACED MY DEBUT 1500M AND IT FELT AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!
pic of me on the final lap :DDDDD
I won my heat by about 20 metres and absolutely blew my estimated times out of the water! I thought I'd run around 7:40 (averaging about 1:55 per lap) but my official time was 6:36.9, which means my average lap time was 1:45.84 (the remaining 300m as 1:19.38). F***ing GOLD, I say. I haven't felt this proud of something I've done for a very long time.

Anyway, I should probably go to bed - school tomorrow and all, haha. Goodnight!

P.S. A note to anyone reading this and feeling like it's too late to start something: My 21st birthday was on the 20th. I started running at an open age. This was my first competition season, and I run in the slowest heats. It's not shameful to be out of place from the typical demographic. You'll find your place. And get better! <3