Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 11:09:59 pm

Author Topic: Visual Arts Question Thread  (Read 31210 times)  Share 

talitha_h

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Re: Visual Arts Question Thread
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2018, 09:48:08 pm »
Hi, I'm currently writing an essay and I was wondering if there's any particular way some of you find quotes from art critics. I've used textbooks and the internet to find quotes for most my artworks but some works, such as Cezanne's 'still life with apples and oranges' I could not find for, even a general comment on his still lifes overall.

I'm writing a practice essay about how artists break from tradition and I'm unsure how many quotes I need, do I need one for every artwork? I didn't have any in my last essay and that was a downfall sooooooooooo
ARTEXPRESS 2019

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2018, 10:31:35 pm »
+2
Hi, I'm currently writing an essay and I was wondering if there's any particular way some of you find quotes from art critics. I've used textbooks and the internet to find quotes for most my artworks but some works, such as Cezanne's 'still life with apples and oranges' I could not find for, even a general comment on his still lifes overall.

I'm writing a practice essay about how artists break from tradition and I'm unsure how many quotes I need, do I need one for every artwork? I didn't have any in my last essay and that was a downfall sooooooooooo

Hey! The way I got quotes from art critics were from my textbook, articles online and what my teachers said.

Have you tried the following critics/historians?
- Michel Foucault
- Arthur C. Danto
- John McDonald
- Sebastian Smee
- Robert Hughes!!!
- Nicolas Bourriaud
- John Berger
- Matthew Collings
- Pierre Bourdieu

However if you still can't find a quote for Cezanne's work, you can grab a quote that comments on him as an artist overall or a quote that comments on his practice and/or intentions. Your quote from art critics/historian don't necessarily need to be unique to the work, but they have to be unique to the artist themselves.

Yes you do need an art critic/quote for every work you mention in your essay. It makes your analysis and argument stronger as you are providing the viewpoints of legitimate and respectable individuals within the art world.

Hope this helps :)
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

talitha_h

• Forum Regular
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2018, 10:33:30 pm »
ARTEXPRESS 2019

EclipseApocalypse

• Adventurer
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2018, 09:22:06 pm »
Now that the hsc timetable has been released, "Monday 3 September 2018 at 3pm is the final hand-in date and time for your body of work". So approximately how long does it take to get your works delivered so I can have an idea of when my cut-off date should be to mail them?

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2018, 08:20:36 pm »
Now that the hsc timetable has been released, "Monday 3 September 2018 at 3pm is the final hand-in date and time for your body of work". So approximately how long does it take to get your works delivered so I can have an idea of when my cut-off date should be to mail them?

Hey!

I'm not 100% sure but speaking from experience, our teachers made us submit our BOW a month before its official submission. The time it takes for your BOW to get delivered really depends where it's going to be marked. I know some of the places that the HSC markers do their marking include Sydney Olympic Park and somewhere in Moore park. Though in some schools, the markers actually come to the school and mark the BOWs there. I think it will be better for you to ask your teacher when to submit your BOW as this really differs between schools :)

nishta

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2018, 06:16:05 pm »
Hi! I'm a year 11 art student at the moment. Does anyone have any tips on building a strong foundation for visual arts in the HSC right now, and how I should be studying for art?

Thank you!! :)
HSC 2019: English Extension 2, Maths Advanced, Legal Studies, Business Studies, Visual Arts

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2018, 11:25:30 pm »
+3
Hi! I'm a year 11 art student at the moment. Does anyone have any tips on building a strong foundation for visual arts in the HSC right now, and how I should be studying for art?

Thank you!! :)

Hey there! And welcome to the forums :)

Fantastic that you asked this question during this time because Year 11 is such a crucial time to experiment and develop your skills (both in practical and theory). Year 11 is a time for experimentation whilst Year 12 is a time to shine. The skills and the content that you will develop and learn during your preliminary year will benefit you SO MUCH in Year 12. You cannot waste time in Year 12 experimenting because, really, that’s when you need to get a move on with your body of work.

In terms of your body of work:
During Year 11, this is the time where you experiment with different techniques, research many artists and find your own style as an artist. Find what messages you want to convey in your work. What mediums you prefer to use. What artist/s of influence are similar to your style and can help you grow as an artist. Because once October hits, that’s when you start developing your body of work.

In terms of studying content for Visual Arts and prepping yourself for the HSC exam itself:
Just lots-a practice questions and getting feedback! You need to develop your vocabulary, how you structure your sentences/paragraphs and improving your analytical skills. You need to expose yourself to as many artists AND artworks as much as possible. There isn’t a set syllabus in Visual Arts so the markers could throw in ANYTHING in the exam. You also would need to practice writing down your responses within the time limit. Since VA has a major and is a creative subject- the exam time is only 1.5 hours, half of the allocated time for most HSC subjects. Since everyone does the same questions for Section 1, it would be better and beneficial to spend more time practicing for this section. Adhere to the very strict time suggestions for each question. If it says to spend 8 minutes on Question 1, do eight minutes! Don’t go overboard and spend 10 minutes. Time yourself. Or yet, suggest to your teacher if they can give your class surprise questions at the start of each lesson. My teachers did this once a month and it helped because it really did caught us off guard. Then they gave us feedback from our practice questions.

prakash.ram

• Adventurer
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2018, 02:02:45 pm »
what are the three most important artist to memorise for the HSC

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2018, 03:10:24 pm »
+1
what are the three most important artist to memorise for the HSC

Hello and welcome to the forums!

Important artists is quite a subjective term. To be honest- any artist can be important when you really think about it! Depends what time period you want to write about and what artworks you like. Though- I find that the following artists are quite popular since they've been taught at different schools, due to their impact on the world of art:

- Pablo Picasso (Les Mademoseilles d'Avignon or Still Life with Chair Caning or The Guernica)
- Marcel Duchamp (The Fountain or the Bicycle Wheel)
- Damien Hirst (A Thousand Years or The Physical Impossibility of Death in the Mind of Someone Living)
- Francisco Goya (The Third of May)
- Ai Weiwei (Sunflower Seeds or S.A.C.R.E.D.)
- Mike Parr (Close the Concentration Camps)
- Judy Chicago (The Dinner Party)

These artworks/artists are just based on what I studied for my HSC. I believe that these works (both traditional and contemporary) have made quite an impact on the art world- so I see them as important artworks that changed the world (in particular Picasso, Duchamp, Weiwei, Goya, Parr). Though, this is really up to personal preference on what you think its important and which works/artists will be best suited for you to answer for your HSC. Feel free to reply to this thread if you would like to know more about any of the works or artists I've mentioned above :)

talitha_h

• Forum Regular
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2018, 06:33:27 pm »
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone could help me with how to generate thesis statements for the Section 2 essay?
Thanks in advance.
ARTEXPRESS 2019

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2018, 08:45:43 pm »
+3
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone could help me with how to generate thesis statements for the Section 2 essay?
Thanks in advance.

Hey there!

Since Section 2 is ridiculously flexible as you can pick one question to answer out of six options, you may generate a general thesis statement beforehand and change it slightly to your chosen question.

To create a thesis statement in the first place- you must agree with the question (unless the question asks you to disagree with the given statement but good chance they'll ask you to agree with the given statement). Your agreement must be short and sweet and straight to the point. If possible, make some reference to the art world and their impact on the artist's mind and practice. Remember to use high modality and persuasive language- don't be on both sides of the fence. Pick a side and stick to it.

For example, if the question was 'Examine how artists have used artworks to challenge social and political views in innovative ways' (this is from the 2017 paper)
- breakdown what they're asking you to do; in this case 'EXAMINE'
- what have artworks and/or artists have specifically done; in this case 'HOW ARTISTS HAVE USED ARTWORKS TO CHALLENGE VIEWS'
- what unique perspective have the artwork and/or artist has done; in this case 'IN INNOVATIVE WAYS'

To create a thesis for this given question, it must be CLEAR! Using pretentious language may help you later on in your body paragraphs but avoid doing this in your thesis. Just go straight to the point. Integrate parts of the question within your thesis statement.

You may write a thesis similar to this:
'Modern and postmodernist artists have presented thought provoking political and social ideas through their groundbreaking artworks'.
> Breaking down my thesis statement
- mentions artists
- mentions political and social views
- 'EXAMINE' and 'IN INNOVATIVE WAYS' parts of the question = acknowledged through 'presented' and 'their groundbreaking artworks'

Writing thesis statements in VA is kind of similar to rewriting the question BUT actually using high modality language and agreeing/disagreeing with the given statement. Hope this makes sense in some way...

talitha_h

• Forum Regular
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2018, 08:59:35 pm »
Hey there!

Since Section 2 is ridiculously flexible as you can pick one question to answer out of six options, you may generate a general thesis statement beforehand and change it slightly to your chosen question.

To create a thesis statement in the first place- you must agree with the question (unless the question asks you to disagree with the given statement but good chance they'll ask you to agree with the given statement). Your agreement must be short and sweet and straight to the point. If possible, make some reference to the art world and their impact on the artist's mind and practice. Remember to use high modality and persuasive language- don't be on both sides of the fence. Pick a side and stick to it.

For example, if the question was 'Examine how artists have used artworks to challenge social and political views in innovative ways' (this is from the 2017 paper)
- breakdown what they're asking you to do; in this case 'EXAMINE'
- what have artworks and/or artists have specifically done; in this case 'HOW ARTISTS HAVE USED ARTWORKS TO CHALLENGE VIEWS'
- what unique perspective have the artwork and/or artist has done; in this case 'IN INNOVATIVE WAYS'

To create a thesis for this given question, it must be CLEAR! Using pretentious language may help you later on in your body paragraphs but avoid doing this in your thesis. Just go straight to the point. Integrate parts of the question within your thesis statement.

You may write a thesis similar to this:
'Modern and postmodernist artists have presented thought provoking political and social ideas through their groundbreaking artworks'.
> Breaking down my thesis statement
- mentions artists
- mentions political and social views
- 'EXAMINE' and 'IN INNOVATIVE WAYS' parts of the question = acknowledged through 'presented' and 'their groundbreaking artworks'

Writing thesis statements in VA is kind of similar to rewriting the question BUT actually using high modality language and agreeing/disagreeing with the given statement. Hope this makes sense in some way...

Thank you this is extremely helpful. I was also wondering, and sorry if this is a silly question, if I choose to do a question on one of the frames (or two if a question asks it) do I only address that one frame in my essay or do I sort of intertwine the other frames?
Thank you again.
ARTEXPRESS 2019

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2018, 09:10:20 pm »
+1
Thank you this is extremely helpful. I was also wondering, and sorry if this is a silly question, if I choose to do a question on one of the frames (or two if a question asks it) do I only address that one frame in my essay or do I sort of intertwine the other frames?
Thank you again.

Whatever frame is mentioned in the question- make that your leading point. Though it makes sense to acknowledge all frames in your answer since limiting yourself down to one/two frames will possibly hurt your chances at a Band 6 response. It would be very rare to find a frames question that only referred to one or two frames in Section 2. This is more common in Section 1.

willjb_00

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2018, 04:59:43 pm »
+1
Hey, so I’ve decided to try and focus on practice for section 2 of the exam and wondered if I should have my artist linking to artmaking, criticism and history, and how many prepared “case studies”. Also my teacher hasn’t really taught us much on how to actually respond to the essay questions so I’m also still a bit stuck on it, is it like English if we had to analyse an artwork??

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2018, 01:43:21 pm »
+2
Hey, so I’ve decided to try and focus on practice for section 2 of the exam and wondered if I should have my artist linking to artmaking, criticism and history, and how many prepared “case studies”. Also my teacher hasn’t really taught us much on how to actually respond to the essay questions so I’m also still a bit stuck on it, is it like English if we had to analyse an artwork??

Hi and welcome to the forums ;D

1. Yes- definitely you would want to link your artist to their artmaking, art critics and history/context of the artist themselves or the artwork that you've decided to discuss in Section 2. This would help beef up your response as markers want responses that look beyond the artist and their artwork- rather they're looking for a response that also integrates the artworld, art history, art critics etc.

2. It really is up to you! A safe number of case studies would be 1-2, with at least three artists in each case study. You would need around three to six artists for your essay- but as mentioned previously, it really depends on you!!

3. Since section 2 is so flexible (being able to pick one out of six questions to answer) good chance that you may find a question that best suits your thesis, artists and case study. Most essay questions in VA will ask you to agree to the question and you do this by analysing the work, talking about the artist's context, what art critics have to say, artwork/artist impact etc. It is almost like English, but you don't necessarily just focus on the work itself. It's almost like a combination of English and History- I believe that all levels of History (Modern, Ancient and Extension) usually would ask for evidence that an event happened, how the context of a historian has created a biased account of the event. That's how I personally approached my art essays- if that makes any sense?