Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:02:50 am

Author Topic: Which essay?  (Read 1216 times)  Share 

LoneWolf

• MOTM: March 20
  • Trendsetter
  • 2020!
  • Respect: +8
Which essay?
« on: February 17, 2020, 01:48:37 pm »
Hello history boffs.

i am faced with this task; a 1500 word essay on either of the following questions.

Choose ONE of the following two questions on which to conduct research and create an in-class written response:
1.   How significant was the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk to the Bolshevik consolidation of power in Russia?
OR
2.   Why was Trotsky unable to succeed Lenin as leader of the USSR by 1928?

In your opinion, what question do you recommend and why?
Business Studies
Economics
Modern History
English
Maths

kiwibirdau

• MOTM: Feb 20
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: +5
Re: Which essay?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2020, 07:45:23 pm »
+3
Hey,

The Second Question is for me, personally, quite interesting.

Essays are marked through comparison, and the aim is to really stand out and provide a unique, concise and sophisticated argument.

The second question delves into ideological and political battles between Trotsky and Stalin, and revolves around the "struggle for power" - you can analyse the socio-political sphere of the USSR, discuss about Stalin's ability to politically manipulate masses (and consequently provide a judgement on Trotsky's failure to consolidate power), also how he - having the powerful and "legendary" position of being being Lenin's friend - still failed to succeed as a leader. This would make an interesting argument, to postulate  how a person with such power was unable to achieve what he was supposedly destined for.

There are many arguments to his inability to succeed Lenin. This includes both Trotsky's internal failures as a leader, that is his lack of skills in the sphere of becoming a charismatic leader and later being accused of following Menshevik ideologies - that he was accused of after his opposition delved into his writings and speeches. This empowered political opposition to accentuate Trotsky's inability to empower his own movement and thus more directly questions his qualifications to command the "great" USSR. However, there were also external factors hindering Trotsky's ability to "rise", including the political conditions within the USSR, rise of opposition and the social expectations of Lenin's successor that Trotsky was unable to manipulate the cult of personalty - but Stalin more readily did.

Question 1 is also good, however, I would argue to a limited extent and then provide a range of reasons (that are quite easily found online - thus a less unique argument) - but nonetheless arguing other reasons for the consolidation of Bolshevik power can also become a strong argument if you are highly evaluative for each reason.
HSC 2020
Work smart, not hard.

LoneWolf

• Trendsetter
  • 2020!
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2020, 09:08:52 pm »
Thats SO helpful...
Thanks very much
Business Studies
Economics
Modern History
English
Maths

LoneWolf

• Trendsetter
  • 2020!
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 08:52:54 am »
How significant was the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk to the Bolshevik consolidation of power in Russia?

In an essay response to the above question, what arguments would differentiate me from the crowd and allow me to portray my extensive knowledge of the Russia topic?
Business Studies
Economics
Modern History
English
Maths