Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 08:36:21 pm

Author Topic: "Assumed Knowledge" for medical science?  (Read 907 times)  Share 

palebluedot

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
"Assumed Knowledge" for medical science?
« on: February 10, 2018, 02:36:27 pm »
Hi everyone!

Please bear with me! I know nothing about university.

I am interested in doing something in medical science. Im currently doing Mathematics and Chemistry. These two are highlighted under "Assumed knowledge" for this course.

However, I am practically failing chemistry, my teacher is horrible and i've lost all motivation to keep teaching myself all the concepts. I would rather drop the subject and convert them to study hours for my other subjects, which im going quiet good in.

So, if I do end up dropping chemistry, would I be at a huge disadvantage?

My current subjects are: Ancient History, Chemistry, Business Studies, Mathematics 2U, Extension History, SOR 1, English Advanced.

Sorry if this doesnt make sense, im so lost  :(

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: "Assumed Knowledge" for medical science?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 02:58:04 pm »
+4
Hey there! My partner did a year of medical science (she then transferred to Speech Pathology) and didn't do Chemistry in her HSC, or Mathematics for that matter. She did a bridging course instead for Chem, and I taught her the bits of 2U that she might need. This was definitely enough and she did well in that first year of her course!

If Chem is really getting you down, dropping it won't be a huge disadvantage for Medical Science provided that you are willing to work harder in that first year and perhaps learn the content yourself between the HSC and university ;D keep in mind that if you don't like Chem, you'll be doing a fair bit of it in Med Sci (at least to my understanding), know that going in! :)

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
Re: "Assumed Knowledge" for medical science?
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 03:16:38 pm »
+3
Will also add - preliminary chemistry is far more useful than HSC chemistry for many university degrees.

(Assuming you're doing the old syllabus.)