Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:39:45 am

Author Topic: Creativity w/ Katelyn  (Read 6448 times)

K.Smithy

• QLD MVP - 2019
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • "We are the cosmos made conscious." B.C. (she/her)
  • Respect: +396
Creativity w/ Katelyn
« on: December 11, 2019, 01:50:48 am »
+10
Hiiiiiii

So I've been looking at a lot of the threads in AN's "Creative Corner" and I feel inspired to start my own :) I'm hoping that by starting my own thread I will have some incentive to do other things with my life than just school work - you know, like literally anything other than school work.

I'm going to kick this thread off with a poem that I wrote while I was bored yesterday. Warning. Warning. I haven't written poetry in over 3 years, and I only ever wrote spoken word poems. So this is super rough - don't expect anything good ;D I also recently lost all of the poems I wrote back in the day, so that's fun.

Anywho, here we go:

Spoiler
Nothing heals a broken soul like heading towards the light.
But when I take that leap of faith and try to fly,
Sometimes I forget that life has clipped my wings.
So I fall.
It's bittersweet really.
That moment when I catch myself slowly slipping away again.
As I fade away into the familiarity that is darkness and welcome it's cold, unforgiving embrace - for a second I feel safe.
And to think that when I was five I was afraid of the dark,
Afraid of what lurked just out of reach of the moon's soft glow.
But I'm not afraid of the dark anymore.
I'm afraid of myself.
When the demons in my mind try to string me up like a puppet, I can try to resist.
But what is the point in fighting if all my body wants to do is dance with death?
And to think that when I was five I had hope.
But after all,
Nothing heals a broken soul like heading towards the light.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 08:17:48 pm by K.Smithy »
QCE 2020: Physics (92) || Psychology (96) || Biology (93) || Methods (79) || English (98) || SOR (91)
ATAR: 98.40
2021-2024: Bachelor of Advanced Science (Honours) @ UQ

Uni Journal ; U3 Bio ; U3 Psych ; U3 Physics

K.Smithy

• QLD MVP - 2019
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
Re: Creativity w/ Katelyn
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2019, 09:34:56 am »
+13
I tried to get back into drawing last month, but Idk. I kinda gave up on this one pretty quickly  :P... Idk if I'm going to finish it. I don't even like cats, I'm a dog person - so Idek why I decided to draw a cat...

« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 09:52:33 am by K.Smithy »
QCE 2020: Physics (92) || Psychology (96) || Biology (93) || Methods (79) || English (98) || SOR (91)

yourfriendlyneighbourhoodghost

• Forum Obsessive
  • sleep now and dream, study now and live your dream
  • Respect: +34
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2019, 09:39:32 am »
+3
I tried to get back into drawing last month, but Idk. I kinda gave up on this one pretty quickly  :P... Idk if I'm going to finish it. I don't even like cats, I'm a dog person - so Idek why I decided to draw a cat...

(Image removed from quote.)

Wow, that is really good. And your poem is captivating ✨
Losing writing sucks so bad. I was writing for a competition once, and the whole story deleted so I had to try and rewrite it which is sad because you can't recreate it exactly (:
2018: Studio Arts [37]
2019: English [38] Psychology [38] Vis Com [36] Software Development [40] Further Maths [35]
ATAR: 87.95 ❤️

2020-2023 Bachelor of Arts @ Unimelb

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2019, 09:41:22 am »
+3
Awesome start to the thread. That cat is an incredible piece of art. Keep going!

EDIT: By the way, the forum is a bit whack and tends to stretch large images. To avoid this, you can re-size an image so that the width is 720 pixels (approximately the post width), with code like this:

Code: [Select]
[img width=720]whatever the URL is[/url]
Pretty sure that should work! :)

EDIT: So like, with your example above, it'd be:

The height will adjust accordingly. :)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 09:45:33 am by Joseph41 »

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

K.Smithy

• QLD MVP - 2019
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2019, 09:49:48 am »
+1
Wow, that is really good. And your poem is captivating ✨
Losing writing sucks so bad. I was writing for a competition once, and the whole story deleted so I had to try and rewrite it which is sad because you can't recreate it exactly (:

Thank you ;D and wow, that really sucks. Losing a whole story is rough :o What was your story about? :) 

K.Smithy

• QLD MVP - 2019
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2019, 09:56:48 am »
+1
Awesome start to the thread. That cat is an incredible piece of art. Keep going!

EDIT: By the way, the forum is a bit whack and tends to stretch large images. To avoid this, you can re-size an image so that the width is 720 pixels (approximately the post width), with code like this:

Code: [Select]
[img width=720]whatever the URL is[/url]
Pretty sure that should work! :)

EDIT: So like, with your example above, it'd be:

(Image removed from quote.)

The height will adjust accordingly. :)

Thank you! :)

And awesome! Thank you for that pointer - that's very handy :D

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2019, 09:57:38 am »
+3
Thank you! :)

And awesome! Thank you for that pointer - that's very handy :D

No stress - it used to annoy me heaps when I'd post images and then I'd be like, "wait, that's not what I wanted". Haha.

Really looking forward to seeing more creative stuff. :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2019, 03:17:48 pm »
+2
Thank you ;D and wow, that really sucks. Losing a whole story is rough :o What was your story about? :)

(:

It was a bit morbid and sad 😂 But it was for a comp. and the prompt was 'courage is better than fear' and I wrote a really emotional and dark story about this guy who lost his girlfriend and ever since her death he hasn't left the house and has neglected his own needs. He catches sight of himself in the mirror and she appears next to him. She constantly gives him signs that she wants him to move on with his life, and to succeed. But he doesn't understand until it is too late, and his image in the mirror is a successful version of himself, his dead girlfriend leaves with the success one and the real guy is left alone. He then shatters the mirror and therefore, has succumbed to 'fear'.

(:
2019: English [38] Psychology [38] Vis Com [36] Software Development [40] Further Maths [35]

K.Smithy

• QLD MVP - 2019
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2019, 05:38:55 pm »
+1
(:

It was a bit morbid and sad 😂 But it was for a comp. and the prompt was 'courage is better than fear' and I wrote a really emotional and dark story about this guy who lost his girlfriend and ever since her death he hasn't left the house and has neglected his own needs. He catches sight of himself in the mirror and she appears next to him. She constantly gives him signs that she wants him to move on with his life, and to succeed. But he doesn't understand until it is too late, and his image in the mirror is a successful version of himself, his dead girlfriend leaves with the success one and the real guy is left alone. He then shatters the mirror and therefore, has succumbed to 'fear'.

(:

That actually sounds amazing! It amazes me when people are able to write about the deep and dark topics, just putting emotions into words is such a difficult task some times. It sounds really interesting though. I wish I was able to write actual stories, I am not very good at creative writing  :P

ArtyDreams

• MOTM: Jan 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Fly against the wind. Not with it.
  • Respect: +599
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2019, 07:15:36 pm »
+2
That artwor looks really good Katelyn! I love looking at others art, would love to see more next ttime you create (if you're willing to share of course!)

K.Smithy

• QLD MVP - 2019
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2019, 07:45:35 pm »
+1
That artwor looks really good Katelyn! I love looking at others art, would love to see more next ttime you create (if you're willing to share of course!)

Thank you! :) I don't draw anywhere near as often as I used to, but I'm hoping that I can get back into it. If I create any post-worthy pieces I'll be sure to put them up in this thread ;D

K.Smithy

• QLD MVP - 2019
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2019, 08:09:48 pm »
+6
I was going through my camera roll today to see if I had any photos of artworks that I have completed, and I found a couple :)

This is a sketch of my lizard (his name is George). It was experimental work for my vis art portfolio last year. For it being my first time drawing a lizard, I don't think I did too bad ;D

Now... this artwork I hate with a burning passion. Firstly, I hate paint and watercolour and this used both. Secondly, I missed a lot of my art classes at school while we were working on our finals (due to sporting commitments), so I ended up having to put in hours and hours staying back at school to work on it, and the day before it was due I had to take it home and was working on it until 3am... I didn't like the task (not that I remember what it was) and I just don't like this piece... It was a pain to complete

Anywho, it's nice to look back at previous works and see improvement or how my style has changed or stayed the same :)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 08:12:15 pm by K.Smithy »

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • 🚀🚀Secret to getting ahead: Get Started!
  • Respect: +456
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2019, 08:55:53 pm »
+2
Hey K.Smithy, welcome to the Creative Corner! ;)

These artworks are fantastic! Do you like to mainly create artwork of nature and animals?
I can't wait to see more! :D

Coolmate 8)
🤯HSC 2020:🤯
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

👊Need Motivation Click Here!💪         🌴Bio Marking and Feedback!

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

K.Smithy

• QLD MVP - 2019
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2019, 09:12:39 pm »
+3
Hey K.Smithy, welcome to the Creative Corner! ;)

These artworks are fantastic! Do you like to mainly create artwork of nature and animals?
I can't wait to see more! :D

Coolmate 8)

Hey Coolmate :)

Thank you for the warm welcome, I'm kinda bummed that I only recently discovered the Creative Corner ;D

Thank you! :) Ever since I was little I've alway loved animals, so they have naturally always been something that I've been drawn to when it comes to art. I've tried to draw people before, but I'm not too great at it (discovered that in grade 9 when self-portraiture was our topic in vis art)
I don't usually do landscapes - I had to last year for art but yeah, landscapes are out of my comfort zone. My Oma is a fantastic painter (she hasn't painted for years tho) and always painted landscapes. I've always admired her artworks (my Grandma and Popa have them hanging up around their house).
So who knows, maybe if my Oma gives me some pointers and I watch some more Bob Ross videos, I'll be painting beautiful landscapes in no time ;D

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2019, 11:01:55 am »
+2
That actually sounds amazing! It amazes me when people are able to write about the deep and dark topics, just putting emotions into words is such a difficult task some times. It sounds really interesting though. I wish I was able to write actual stories, I am not very good at creative writing  :P

Yeah it can be very hard haha. Thank you. Can I just say, judging from your writing I am certain you could write a story if you wanted (: I mean, my earlier stories THEY ARE SO CRINGE, I can't even read them lol so we all start somewhere (: