Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 01:18:41 pm

Author Topic: Monash General Chat  (Read 1420238 times)  Share 

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
Re: Monash General Chat
« Reply #5895 on: April 01, 2020, 11:57:44 am »
+2
@insanipi, they've updated the factsheet to define what research is allowed under the current situation. See the picture below to clarify

[img=https://imgur.com/a/oxK9ucv][/img]
Already aware given the lengthy staff emails that got sent to my student email yesterday all day, but thanks again! ^-^
Unfortunately, even though the research group I'm under is actually defined as essential, my project isn't essential (confirmed today)- so I'm just going to sit here and read literature (again... not like I haven't been doing that haha). I hope my coursework gets released soon, otherwise I'm going to get super bored super quickly haha 😅
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #5896 on: April 01, 2020, 10:00:54 pm »
+3
Already aware given the lengthy staff emails that got sent to my student email yesterday all day, but thanks again! ^-^
Unfortunately, even though the research group I'm under is actually defined as essential, my project isn't essential (confirmed today)- so I'm just going to sit here and read literature (again... not like I haven't been doing that haha). I hope my coursework gets released soon, otherwise I'm going to get super bored super quickly haha 😅
Feel free to work on my research project for honours lol

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #5897 on: April 02, 2020, 11:25:04 am »
+3
Unfortunately, even though the research group I'm under is actually defined as essential
I know I've shared this to a heap of people already lol, but it's pretty cool that my supervisor and two postdocs I work with actually made the news last night for this haha: https://www.facebook.com/7NEWSMelbourne/videos/552581145386991/ (for those not on fb, I apologise- I couldn't find an alternate video source haha)

Springyboy

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #5898 on: April 03, 2020, 05:14:46 pm »
+1
I know I've shared this to a heap of people already lol, but it's pretty cool that my supervisor and two postdocs I work with actually made the news last night for this haha: https://www.facebook.com/7NEWSMelbourne/videos/552581145386991/ (for those not on fb, I apologise- I couldn't find an alternate video source haha)

@insanipi, they're still debating over your project, so I wouldn't give up yet with access.

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #5899 on: April 03, 2020, 05:19:37 pm »
+1
@insanipi, they're still debating over your project, so I wouldn't give up yet with access.
Faculty has already confirmed that any experiments needed to stop by 5pm today, but thanks for the small silver of hope haha! 😊

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #5900 on: April 14, 2020, 09:55:02 pm »
Update: Monash appear to have stated that the start of semester 2 could be online if restrictions and travel bans are still in place

How are we all hanging with the online study?

DoctorTwo

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #5901 on: April 27, 2020, 09:39:12 pm »
Hello, I have a question about the requirements for being able to overload in a semester.
The requirements (on https://www.monash.edu/enrolments/study-load) are:
-completed 48 credit points in one calendar year
-achieved a credit average or higher in the previous year.

I have no issue with the second requirement, but does the first one relate specifically to the last calendar year, or just any calendar year? Also, if these requirements are both met, is it difficult to have your application to overload accepted? Is it likely that it would be accepted? Thank you.

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #5902 on: May 04, 2020, 12:03:30 pm »
+3
Monash (and more specifically MIPS) are looking to relax their research operation restrictions within the next week or two, after they kicked most of everyone left out on April 3!

-_-zzz

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #5903 on: May 09, 2020, 01:04:06 am »
Hey guys,

I am currently undertaking a double degree at Monash and just have a few questions in mind regarding failing more than 2 core units.

1. Will I still be contacted by the APC and be required to submit a letter explaining my unsatisfactory progress?

2. How does repeating more than 2 core units take place? Do you do them in semester 2 or do you continue on with your course and undertake the failed units during the semester break for instance?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #5904 on: May 09, 2020, 06:14:59 pm »
+2
Hey guys,

I am currently undertaking a double degree at Monash and just have a few questions in mind regarding failing more than 2 core units.

1. Will I still be contacted by the APC and be required to submit a letter explaining my unsatisfactory progress?

2. How does repeating more than 2 core units take place? Do you do them in semester 2 or do you continue on with your course and undertake the failed units during the semester break for instance?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
1. You won’t unless you failed the two units in the same semester.

2. Whenever the units are offered again, you can take them again. If it’s available next semester, you can do it then if you like and will have it make adjustments to your course map to account for it (often meaning that you’ll either rearrange things or finish a semester later than your classmates). If it’s possible to take it during a break, then you can.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

-_-zzz

• Trailblazer
« Reply #5905 on: May 09, 2020, 08:45:21 pm »
1. You won’t unless you failed the two units in the same semester.

2. Whenever the units are offered again, you can take them again. If it’s available next semester, you can do it then if you like and will have it make adjustments to your course map to account for it (often meaning that you’ll either rearrange things or finish a semester later than your classmates). If it’s possible to take it during a break, then you can.

Apologies in advance for the additional question but does this mean that I can do my failed semester 1 units after my semester 2 units? Or is passing semester 1 units a prerequisite for completing semester 2?

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #5906 on: May 09, 2020, 09:06:26 pm »
+3
Apologies in advance for the additional question but does this mean that I can do my failed semester 1 units after my semester 2 units? Or is passing semester 1 units a prerequisite for completing semester 2?
Depends on the unit. Some units only allow you to do Sem 1 unit, then Sem 2 in that order. Some will let you do Sem 2 without Sem 1. To know, I’d say check the unit guides for your Sem 2 units and look for prerequisites - this’ll tell you whether you can or not. If you have any troubles, I’d suggest calling Monash Connect or your managing faculty’s student services for help with organising your course map. :)
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

MonashStudent00

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #5907 on: May 09, 2020, 11:49:23 pm »
Just looking for some opinions
It is unlikely that my WAM will increase after this semester,
but seeing as though we now have to option to choose SFR as our grades, is it worth choosing it?
Would employers in the future prefer to see an actual grade rather than SFR?
VCE: 2017-2018
Bachelor of Science and Commerce at Monash 2019-2022
Monash Unit prize for ECC1000 and ECC1100

Springyboy

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #5908 on: May 11, 2020, 06:40:52 pm »
Just looking for some opinions
It is unlikely that my WAM will increase after this semester,
but seeing as though we now have to option to choose SFR as our grades, is it worth choosing it?
Would employers in the future prefer to see an actual grade rather than SFR?

Tough one. I'd be inclined to keep your WAM available even if it decreases tbh if you can, as long as it doesn't fall too dramatically. I prefer employers to see me being transparent, as even in the current situation being upfront about your situation gives them an opportunity to trust you more and recognise your dedication, as even with all the troubles you still got x mark and did your best.

Springyboy

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #5909 on: May 16, 2020, 09:52:11 pm »
+1
Monash (and more specifically MIPS) are looking to relax their research operation restrictions within the next week or two, after they kicked most of everyone left out on April 3!

Yep so this has been confirmed to be May 18.

Good luck with your research @insanipi