Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 19, 2024, 05:08:46 pm

Author Topic: How math intensive does bachelor of science get?  (Read 2681 times)  Share 

Stormbreaker-X

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +31
How math intensive does bachelor of science get?
« on: April 21, 2021, 04:41:09 pm »
Hey guys, I really want to do bachelor of science or maybe nursing at the same time also commerce. But how intensive does the math get in science especially? I am only doing further this year.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: How math intensive does bachelor of science get?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2021, 08:09:03 pm »
+6
Depends on what you do in science - there's a giant spectrum of math difficulty. If you're doing a bio major you can avoid doing very difficult maths and stick with very simple math subjects. Stats comes up more as you continue with learning about scientific research & this is especially relevant if you are interested in postgraduate studies. If you do physics you'll need a lot of maths, chem less so than that. Maths is relevant to everything but often I was told in bio (ecology) classes "you won't be assessed on this equation" or similar.

Stormbreaker-X

• Forum Leader
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2021, 01:14:00 pm »
Depends on what you do in science - there's a giant spectrum of math difficulty. If you're doing a bio major you can avoid doing very difficult maths and stick with very simple math subjects. Stats comes up more as you continue with learning about scientific research & this is especially relevant if you are interested in postgraduate studies. If you do physics you'll need a lot of maths, chem less so than that. Maths is relevant to everything but often I was told in bio (ecology) classes "you won't be assessed on this equation" or similar.
Would there be majors I can't do just because of the math? I mean when I am choosing my majors would they say something along the lines of no methods=no (insert major)?

lm21074

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +594
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2021, 05:23:02 pm »
+6
A number of the mathematics related majors (e.g. pure mathematics, physics) and many in a Bachelor of Commerce (e.g. actuarial science, economics, etc.) in the BSc are likely to require methods level maths at some stage. However, if you would like to do a major that does involve methods level maths, you could always take the equivalent version at uni (MTH1010 @ Monash iirc).

In the uni's handbook, (Monash's can be found at http://handbook.monash.edu.au), it states what prerequisite units (subjects) needed to take a unit and the units needed to complete a major, and each one of those units may have prerequisites. It might be helpful to work backwards and investigate what majors you might be interested in (no need to decide now!), find their handbook entries and see if their units need methods. For instance, the second year, semester 1 unit of the Developmental Biology major, requires one of the first year bio units in the BSc and those bio units do not need methods.

I'm in a bit of a rush right now, so apologies if any of this is unclear. Let us know if you need clarification on anything :)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 05:25:45 pm by lm21074 »
2021: VCE
2022: Science / Arts @ Monash

Stormbreaker-X

• Forum Leader
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2021, 06:19:28 pm »
A number of the mathematics related majors (e.g. pure mathematics, physics) and many in a Bachelor of Commerce (e.g. actuarial science, economics, etc.) in the BSc are likely to require methods level maths at some stage. However, if you would like to do a major that does involve methods level maths, you could always take the equivalent version at uni (MTH1010 @ Monash iirc).

In the uni's handbook, (Monash's can be found at http://handbook.monash.edu.au), it states what prerequisite units (subjects) needed to take a unit and the units needed to complete a major, and each one of those units may have prerequisites. It might be helpful to work backwards and investigate what majors you might be interested in (no need to decide now!), find their handbook entries and see if their units need methods. For instance, the second year, semester 1 unit of the Developmental Biology major, requires one of the first year bio units in the BSc and those bio units do not need methods.

I'm in a bit of a rush right now, so apologies if any of this is unclear. Let us know if you need clarification on anything :)
Thank you I will have a look at that :)