Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 16, 2024, 04:47:56 pm

Author Topic: University General Chat  (Read 53277 times)  Share 

brothanathan

Re: University General Chat
« Reply #75 on: February 09, 2021, 08:56:53 am »
I recommend Zotero if people can't access Mendeley! Free, doesn't need an account, and has a Word plugin.

Hey www, would you mind evaluating further on why you prefer Zotero over* Mendeley?  There's a Word plugin for Mendeley too, but do correct me if you find it dysfunctional. Pretty sure Zotero allows you to sync your citations to multiple devices? Opinions are quite divided on some other online forums.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 09:01:15 am by brothanathan »

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +86
« Reply #76 on: February 09, 2021, 02:46:04 pm »
+4
Hey www, would you mind evaluating further on why you prefer Zotero over* Mendeley?  There's a Word plugin for Mendeley too, but do correct me if you find it dysfunctional. Pretty sure Zotero allows you to sync your citations to multiple devices? Opinions are quite divided on some other online forums.

I tend to prefer applications do not require me to be online or to make an account, just a personal thing. Zotero satisfies that and has the plugin and browser extension like Mendeley.

APA 7th was introduced late 2019 and though I had the choice to stay on 6th until 2021, I wanted to stay updated. When I started reading for my thesis, I believe Mendeley didn't have APA 7th but Zotero did. They both have them now though.

Zotero has a multi-colour tagging system on top of regular multi-text tagging which makes it easier for me to quickly identify and sort relevant papers, whereas I think Mendeley just has multi-text tagging.

I haven't used the cloud syncing - it has a pretty low storage space anyway and you need to make an account. Zotero stores everything locally, so the storage limit is technically just how much you're willing to use on your hard drive. I already have the habit of making backups on a USB/external HDD regularly, so syncing between systems is just a matter of using the library export/import function.

I do know that Mendeley has a better style editor (CSL editor). I can edit the styles for Zotero easily, but would prefer Mendeley's dedicated editor for those rare moments.

Guess my advice would to try both and find what works for you? There's also EndNote, but I've heard awful things from friends about it.
2017~2020 (Monash) | BA, BA(Hons)Psy
2021~ | job! - AN hiatus, it's been fun here (:

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #77 on: February 09, 2021, 03:41:54 pm »
+3
There's also EndNote, but I've heard awful things from friends about it.

I have a session on that on Thursday,  is there anything in particular that stands out to you?

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +86
« Reply #78 on: February 09, 2021, 08:38:02 pm »
+4
I have a session on that on Thursday,  is there anything in particular that stands out to you?

The biggest complaint I've heard is that the Word plugin is slow and hangs even on documents with a small number of citations. The other is that it tends to get paper details wrong, but I'm willing to bet most bib programs will get things wrong at a similar rate.

I haven't personally used EndNote and I know others who prefer it over the alternatives, so I would still recommend trying a couple to see which one is best for your workflow.
2017~2020 (Monash) | BA, BA(Hons)Psy
2021~ | job! - AN hiatus, it's been fun here (:

alexandra.vo

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #79 on: February 16, 2021, 12:09:42 pm »
+1
A quick question, I have a seminar which is live streamed online, although I'd be on the train at the time its scheduled. Do you have to be present for the seminar at the time or can you re-watch it later like a lecture?

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #80 on: February 16, 2021, 03:19:18 pm »
+5
A quick question, I have a seminar which is live streamed online, although I'd be on the train at the time its scheduled. Do you have to be present for the seminar at the time or can you re-watch it later like a lecture?
Depends on the unit and the unit requirements. Sometimes online lectures/seminars can be compulsory so you need to be online. However, often they are also recorded and put up for viewing for anyone who can't make it.

Have a look at your unit guide for the answer and if it is not their email the unit coordinator to ask.

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
« Reply #81 on: February 16, 2021, 04:21:18 pm »
+1
Is it fair to assume that the timetabling thing won't give me clashes?
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #82 on: February 16, 2021, 04:29:18 pm »
+5
Is it fair to assume that the timetabling thing won't give me clashes?

Depends - sometimes clashes are unavoidable. I imagine it'll depend on the way your specific uni timetables, but personally I wouldn't be 100% confident that you won't be presented with clashes initially (although, if all of your units are compulsory, maybe?).

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
« Reply #83 on: February 16, 2021, 07:22:56 pm »
+1
Depends - sometimes clashes are unavoidable. I imagine it'll depend on the way your specific uni timetables, but personally I wouldn't be 100% confident that you won't be presented with clashes initially (although, if all of your units are compulsory, maybe?).
All my units are core units, and I have 6 of a total of 8 thingies being on campus. Is it fair to assume that at least the 6 on campus things won't clash with each other??
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #84 on: February 17, 2021, 08:43:24 am »
+5
All my units are core units, and I have 6 of a total of 8 thingies being on campus. Is it fair to assume that at least the 6 on campus things won't clash with each other??

I imagine that would be the case.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Justin_L

• MOTM: July 20
  • HSC Moderator
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +235
« Reply #85 on: February 17, 2021, 10:01:51 am »
+5

There's usually a recommended/sample degree plan which outlines what units you do in what terms that should minimise clashes, though I know it's not a thing for all degrees. Hopefully should be fine as long as you pick your units reasonably, unlike my friend who enrolled in the whole year's worth of units in one semester and wondered why they had so many clashes  :)
Да здравствует революция государственного модератора

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #86 on: February 17, 2021, 10:23:54 am »
+6
You should be fine. I doubt you will have any clashes since I'm guessing all your units are already picked out for you in Nursing.

alexandra.vo

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #87 on: February 23, 2021, 05:03:47 pm »
For those at Monash, would you recommend taking STA1010 or SCI1020. I'm not very confident in math and don't want to choose a math that is quite difficult as I want to concentrate on my other units. Which math would u recommend and which is more doable? I completed further math in VCE and quite enjoyed the data part but that was quite basic.

cherryblossoms

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #88 on: March 12, 2021, 05:25:22 pm »
Hey, I was just wondering if anyone has any note-taking, study, or organisational strategies or advice?
I'm still not sure if I should handwrite or type up my notes, and how to remember the content and study?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 05:27:08 pm by cherryblossoms »

KatherineGale

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +92
« Reply #89 on: March 12, 2021, 07:29:19 pm »
+6
Hey, I was just wondering if anyone has any note-taking, study, or organisational strategies or advice?
I'm still not sure if I should handwrite or type up my notes, and how to remember the content and study?

Hi there,

I don't know if I can help all that much, but I've found that note-taking depends on the unit. Is there a lot of module content? Are there a number of videos? Is the unit based around content from textbooks?

For less intense/average units, I tend to find writing summaries of everything I'm reading really helpful. Less intense units for me have tended to be more based on practical skills or applying theories, etc. I use the time I save from not needing to rewrite everything to practice applying it. You don't need to remember everything, but if you know how to apply the concept, then you should be fine.

For content heavy units, this is hit or miss with me. I've also struggled with the same thing. I've found that just rewriting everything means I won't remember any of it and it just wastes my time. It's not the greenest option, but printing the online modules, the texts (if you don't have a hard copy already), class and seminar slides, etc. and put them into a folder for that week. Then go through the learning objectives for that week and highlight key points. Take notes alongside these during classes and seminars (you could do this on a powerpoint slide and print these with the content if you prefer typing like me. End of the week, summarise the key points you've highlighted.

This is what has worked for me anyway. It's really trial and error to find what works best for you. Hope someone else can also help you!

Key Tips:

-Start assessments Week 1, even if it's just planning.

-Utilise your unis resources

Spoiler
My uni Deakin has a number of supports - writing & maths mentors, 24hr tutoring, weekly planners, assignment planners, etc.

-utilise other unis resources
Spoiler
A lot of unis have the same resources in different formats - if you're just not understanding how to follow your unis referencing guide, take a look at another unis guide

Here are a few from my uni Deakin:
Weekly planner:
https://www.deakin.edu.au/students/home/cloud-students/study-support/weekly-planner
I also think this one can be used by anyone: Assignment planner (lifesaver, honestly)
https://www.deakin.edu.au/students/studying/study-support/academic-skills/assignment-planner

-create a plan
Spoiler
You might not be a planner, that's okay. The best thing about a plan is that it caters to you, not the other way round. I tried using a diary for years before I finally admitted defeat (I've never gotten all the way through a month of using one, let alone a year). Instead, I write a weekly checklist for each of my units detailing the module, readings (including no. pgs), videos (including length), etc. and then I tick them off as I go. It's simple, motivating, and lets me remember what I have and haven't done without much fuss. I also have an assessment timetable where my due dates are highlighted - I hand this up in front of me and check it each day so I don't forget anything.

-don't waste time
Spoiler
I procrastinate something shocking. I downloaded an app called forest that makes me accountable for my time. I'd highly recommend finding that or something similar.