Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:03:39 am

Author Topic: University General Chat  (Read 53046 times)  Share 

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
Re: University General Chat
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2020, 06:40:25 pm »
+5
what do you study in bachelor of science first year uni
what do do you do in the biodiversity subject .
Hi there Chocolatepistchio! (Side note: I like your username!)

First year uni Bachelor of Science usually covers areas such as chemistry, biology, physics, mathematics, geography/ geology/ earth sciences and psychology in broad strokes, usually beginning from the basics, rushing through the high school content and adding more detail and new content in some areas. Depending on which uni you are doing the degree and what areas you wish to study/ must study, the subjects and content you study may differ. (At some unis, you’ll have some choice as to what you study, but will have to abide by specific guidelines. Some may also ask you to pick your major from the very beginning, but many unis are now steering towards a more general first year and so won’t make you pick a major until you start your second year of uni.)

As for what is studied in a biodiversity unit (we call subjects “units” at uni), it’s usually similar to ecology or zoology classes. These sorts of units dive into the wide variety of organisms there are on this planet, ranging from discussing ecosystems to specific species, and sometimes delves into the interactions between organisms and the environment.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2020, 03:43:28 pm »
+3
I know it's exam time at Monash - are exams also happening currently at other unis? How are things going for you guys? :)

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2020, 05:03:11 pm »
+2
Don't know if this is the right place to go for this, but here goes.
Nursing, not double degree, at a Uni in Victoria. Which is the best? What's it like in general? Please, I tried looking up individual unis and it left me in the dark. Thank you for your assistance.
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

lm21074

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +594
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2020, 08:30:49 pm »
+6
Nursing, not double degree, at a Uni in Victoria. Which is the best? What's it like in general? Please, I tried looking up individual unis and it left me in the dark. Thank you for your assistance.
Hey :)

I think this is the right place! All nursing degrees running in Victoria at the moment are accredited by the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia which means that they all teach pretty much the same thing, just with different teachers delivering the content. So, it doesn't really matter too much what uni you go to. (see here for more info about accreditation. Each uni's webpage of their nursing degree should say it is accredited too). I'd go with the Nursing program that a) is close to home and/or b) a uni / campus that you would like to be at.

It might not be helpful to base your decision entirely on the opinions of others. That being said, past and current nursing students can be an invaluable source of advice as to how a uni runs a course. I know nursing students from ACU, Deakin, RMIT, La Trobe and Monash and all of them love their course.

However, as I said above, some people might think a certain uni's Bachelor of Nursing is great, but someone else might think otherwise. For example, I know someone who started off doing Nursing at La Trobe and transferred to RMIT Nursing. I know another person who is at La Trobe for Nursing and plans to stay there until she graduates.

If you find that you don't end up making the right uni (or even degree choice), you can always transfer to another uni / course.

Hope this helps :)
2021: VCE
2022: Science / Arts @ Monash

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2020, 08:34:43 pm »
+6
I know it's exam time at Monash - are exams also happening currently at other unis? How are things going for you guys? :)
My week is actually going to be pretty chill haha- it currently consists of me doing the last few passages and a transfection of my practice cells before I actually can get started on my actual project and get data LOL. I also should restart my intro to my thesis after Word decided to hate me the other day and crash without saving :(

It's weird seeing the undergrads in the library at Monash Parkville, even though it be exam time haha
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

The Cat In The Hat

• Forum Leader
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2020, 09:11:10 pm »
Hey :)

I think this is the right place! All nursing degrees running in Victoria at the moment are accredited by the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia which means that they all teach pretty much the same thing, just with different teachers delivering the content. So, it doesn't really matter too much what uni you go to. (see here for more info about accreditation. Each uni's webpage of their nursing degree should say it is accredited too). I'd go with the Nursing program that a) is close to home and/or b) a uni / campus that you would like to be at.

It might not be helpful to base your decision entirely on the opinions of others. That being said, past and current nursing students can be an invaluable source of advice as to how a uni runs a course. I know nursing students from ACU, Deakin, RMIT, La Trobe and Monash and all of them love their course.

However, as I said above, some people might think a certain uni's Bachelor of Nursing is great, but someone else might think otherwise. For example, I know someone who started off doing Nursing at La Trobe and transferred to RMIT Nursing. I know another person who is at La Trobe for Nursing and plans to stay there until she graduates.

If you find that you don't end up making the right uni (or even degree choice), you can always transfer to another uni / course.

Hope this helps :)
Thanks, it does. But do they have different structures at all to the course, e.g. actual placement starting at different points of the course?
Also, what's the course study in the first year?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 09:12:45 pm by The Cat In The Hat »
VCE 20
ATAR 85
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

she/her

sweetcheeks

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +83
  • School: ---
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2020, 09:23:30 pm »
+5
I had three exams in three days. Two were three hours and the other 1.5 hours. I ran out of time on two of the exams.

It's a very interesting (and rather unpleasant) experience doing exams at home. The reason I say its unpleasant is that I found there to be lots of distractions and I was getting frustrated at every little bit of noise (traffic, neighbours, sirens). Luckily, I live alone, as some of my friends have said that they couldn't cope with the noise from other people in the house.

All three exams were different formats. The first exam had two sections, one where you downloaded a PDF, wrote answers to the questions and photographed them and submitted; the other section was an online quiz. I struggled a bit with time management (since it was the first exam) and ended up spending too much time on the online quiz and not leaving enough for the written section.

The second exam was simply writing answers and drawing diagrams. Really no different to a normal exam, which I really liked. This was by far the best exam format, also it was my favourite subject. Time allocation was very generous, since it was designed for 90 minutes but we were given 3 hours.

The third was a PDF that you filled in boxes. I really didn't like this one, as we had to also upload photos of diagrams we drew and insert them (I don't have decent drawing software). I also found that the PDF would occasionally crash after inserting the photos. For me this was the worst exam, as I found that I accidentally filled in some of the boxes wrong and one of the questions really required printing out of the paper, which I couldn't do (three pages of spectra to interpret).

I've already received the marks for two of the subjects. They were quite generous with the marking (I got >90, even though I didn't finished one of them).

The academics put a fantastic amount of effort into the exam questions and the structures of the exams were well thought out (some formats were better than others). I just preferred the simple writing answers and photographing them, as it made it the simplest and most straightforward. If I were to do more exams at home, I would definitely get a printer.

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2020, 09:31:10 pm »
+4
Thanks, it does. But do they have different structures at all to the course, e.g. actual placement starting at different points of the course?
Also, what's the course study in the first year?
All courses differ slightly but they're more similar than they are different. Most have the first placement in first year (tends to be a quick aged care placement). Most placements happen in 2nd and 3rd year.

Anecdotally I have friends who have done nursing at Monash, ACU, RMIT and Deakin and all have enjoyed the course. I think Monash might have a few less placement hours than the rest but not 100% certain on that.

If you're wanting to talk to a nursing student, maybe try posting on the relevant uni's stalkerspace? I also know that Monash MNHS has student ambassadors that talk about their courses on instagram and other social media platforms so might be worth checking that out.

The Cat In The Hat

• Forum Leader
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2020, 09:48:08 pm »
+1
All courses differ slightly but they're more similar than they are different. Most have the first placement in first year (tends to be a quick aged care placement). Most placements happen in 2nd and 3rd year.

Anecdotally I have friends who have done nursing at Monash, ACU, RMIT and Deakin and all have enjoyed the course. I think Monash might have a few less placement hours than the rest but not 100% certain on that.

If you're wanting to talk to a nursing student, maybe try posting on the relevant uni's stalkerspace? I also know that Monash MNHS has student ambassadors that talk about their courses on instagram and other social media platforms so might be worth checking that out.
Thanks!
VCE 20
ATAR 85
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

she/her

lacitam

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2020, 10:05:53 pm »
+5
I did nursing at Deakin for 1 semester before transferring to a different course. It was alright, by no means did I enjoy it a lot but I was not a fan of the theory subjects at all (at least the ones taught in semester 1). The coordination of the units, in my opinion, were handled quite poorly. The 1 week clinical placement was pretty good though, however that's as much insight as I can offer to you.

PM me and I can help you navigate the Deakin website for more information on the subjects you do in nursing.

The Cat In The Hat

• Forum Leader
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2020, 10:12:48 pm »
I did nursing at Deakin for 1 semester before transferring to a different course. It was alright, by no means did I enjoy it a lot but I was not a fan of the theory subjects at all (at least the ones taught in semester 1). The coordination of the units, in my opinion, were handled quite poorly. The 1 week clinical placement was pretty good though, however that's as much insight as I can offer to you.

PM me and I can help you navigate the Deakin website for more information on the subjects you do in nursing.
Thanks - and what are the theory subjects there?
VCE 20
ATAR 85
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

she/her

lacitam

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2020, 10:19:59 pm »
+4
Thanks - and what are the theory subjects there?
https://www.deakin.edu.au/course/bachelor-nursing
Scroll down to 'Core Units' then click the links of Level 1 - Trimester 1     ('Level 1' means 'Year 1' and 'Trimester 1' is 'Semester 1') When you click on one of the link, scroll down to 'Content', the units will specify in their content on which one is clinical and which one is theoretical.
Don't click 'Academic Integrity', it's a non-academic unit and doesn't directly relate to nursing, pretty much everyone in any course at Deakin has to do this.

There should be a more detailed summary of what the units entail. Just need to find it again for you haha, it's been a while.

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2020, 04:55:43 pm »
+1
With most semester 1 exams already having come to an end or finishing up this week how will everyone be spending their break?

Also, for the Victorian Uni students, how will the lockdown impact your previous plans?

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2020, 05:06:53 pm »
+5
Even with lockdown happening, Monash Parkville are still in the process of scheduling workshops for pharmacy kiddos and labs for pharmsci kiddos for semester 2. I suspect this will also be a somewhat similar case at broader Monash- given I've had no 'staff' email detailing otherwise yet haha

I'm praying I don't get kicked out again either because I still got no data aha 😅
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

A.Rose

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2020, 06:24:19 pm »
Hello!

I'm looking for some advice regarding a good undergraduate degree as a pathway to medicine. For UQ, in particular, there are four possible undergrad degrees I'm interested in (in the event I don't get a provisional entry):
•   Bachelor of Biomedical Science
•   Bachelor of Science
•   Bachelor of Advanced Science (with Honours)
•   Bachelor of Pharmacy (with Honours)
I have had several recommendations that Pharmacy would be beneficial before a medical degree and obviously most universities recommend Biomed as a pathway. But what about the others? Only two of these can go on my QTAC preferences so I need to choose. What's the difference between Advanced science and Science? Is advanced just a bit harder or goes into more depth? Would this be beneficial before a medical degree as well?
Thank you!