Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:42:13 am

Author Topic: How university works  (Read 166523 times)  Share 

Lani Sweerts

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: How university works
« Reply #255 on: November 23, 2020, 02:20:16 pm »
I'm thinking about doing a double degree of forensics and criminology at Deakin University. Does anyone know what Deakin is like or know anyone/or does the course itself?
2020 - 1/2 Italian, 1/2 Methods, 1/2 Legal, 1/2 English, 3/4 Biology, 3/4 Psychology

Aiming for a 90+ ATAR

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #256 on: November 23, 2020, 05:35:15 pm »
+3
How is ACU for primary school teaching?
I’ve heard good and bad news about that course from across the grapevine, but this occurs for most courses in general. If you like the uni and the course itself then that’s what matters.

I'm thinking about doing a double degree of forensics and criminology at Deakin University. Does anyone know what Deakin is like or know anyone/or does the course itself?
I have quite a few friends who study at Deakin (Burwood campus mostly but have also had friends at the other campuses). I knew a person who did the forensic science course at Deakin, but it’s been a long time since I was in touch with them. Unfortunately I can’t remember anyone who did the criminology course at Deakin, and likewise don’t know anyone who did the double degree of forensic science/ criminology.

Deakin is a smaller uni compared to the two Go8 Victorian unis, Melbourne and Monash, so you’ll find the class sizes are smaller and making friends will be easier (as you’ll encounter the same people over and over again). In terms of the forensic science course itself, I’ve heard that it’s a relatively good course but you’ll need to be quite proactive in regards to getting work experience, placements, etc. in order to be able to get a related job in the area, if that’s your intention. From memory, the forensic science course is actually only available at the Waurn Ponds campus, so remember to consider accommodation if you don’t live close by/ have your own means of getting there on time.   
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

K.Smithy

• QLD MVP - 2019
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • "We are the cosmos made conscious." B.C. (she/her)
  • Respect: +396
« Reply #257 on: January 03, 2021, 10:54:27 pm »
+1
Hello friends :)
I just have a few questions about timetables and course activities and stuff. I would ask a family member about it but I'm the first in my family to go to uni, so I apologise for the fact that I will have to annoy you all when I have uni questions ;D ;D ;D

I was just having a look at UQ's public timetable for semester 1 of 2021 to try and figure out how my courses would work together. For the most part it has gone smoothly, except I do have two compulsory courses which have activities that clash on the timetable.
The activities that are clashing are: SCIE1000's CON1 (no clue what that is) and PHYS1001's workshop WKS1.
CON1 is only offered on Mondays from 10am to 11am, and WKS1 is only offered on Mondays from 10am to 12pm - so, as you can see, they clash...
Now, one thing that really confuses me is the weeks for the activities. I don't know what it is talking about when it presents me with a bunch of numbers and forward slashes and dashes ;D I just don't know what's going on... :P
So for CON1 it says weeks: 1/3-29/3, 12/4-24/5
For WKS1 it says weeks: 22/2-29/3, 12/4-24/5

I guess my questions are:
1. what does all that weeks stuff mean? I don't quite understand what it is trying to tell me.

2. what is CON1 (all it says is "contact" but I don't know what that means)?

3. what am I meant to do about the course activities clashing? Both are compulsory for my major, so I have no clue what to do  :o :o :o

Any help or guidance would be super appreciated :) I hope everyone is off to a wonderful start in 2021!
Thanks,
A severely confused Katelyn  8)
QCE 2020: Physics (92) || Psychology (96) || Biology (93) || Methods (79) || English (98) || SOR (91)
ATAR: 98.40
2021-2024: Bachelor of Advanced Science (Honours) @ UQ

Uni Journal ; U3 Bio ; U3 Psych ; U3 Physics

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #258 on: January 04, 2021, 12:13:48 am »
+6
I guess my questions are:
1. what does all that weeks stuff mean? I don't quite understand what it is trying to tell me.

2. what is CON1 (all it says is "contact" but I don't know what that means)?

3. what am I meant to do about the course activities clashing? Both are compulsory for my major, so I have no clue what to do  :o :o :o
So for CON1 it says weeks: 1/3-29/3, 12/4-24/5
For WKS1 it says weeks: 22/2-29/3, 12/4-24/5
1. Basically the weeks your classes are running. I would assume you have a mid-semester break from 29/3 to the 12/4? Although you should check whether this lines up.

2. not too sure about that - do you have any more context for it?

3. Check to see if that same class is run elsewhere in the week. Normally workshops/tutorials will have many different times avaliable.

K.Smithy

• QLD MVP - 2019
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #259 on: January 04, 2021, 12:52:28 am »
+1
1. Basically the weeks your classes are running. I would assume you have a mid-semester break from 29/3 to the 12/4? Although you should check whether this lines up.

Lol that makes so much sense ahahaha ;D I don't know how I didn't recognise that those were like... dates... not just random numbers and dashes  :P

2. not too sure about that - do you have any more context for it?

I found this. If you scroll to section 1.4 Timetable, it says: "There is also an optional contact lecture (on Zoom) for Python programming, called "Contact" in MyTimetable, which you are strongly encouraged to attend if you are new to computer programming or would like more computer programming support."
I know that this is the course profile for the summer semester, but would it be safe to assume that the "contact" activities would remain optional in semester 1? This does make me a little nervous though, as I know nothing about computer programming so it would be beneficial to go to this. However, I do know that the workshop for physics is definitely compulsory so I'll have to go to that.

Would I be able to get in touch with the tutors outside of that "contact" class time? Because I do think some additional support with the programming stuff would be helpful. I've been reading a lot of review of SCIE1000 and the general consensus is that it is really hard and a lot of people fail ( :'( :'( :'( )

3. Check to see if that same class is run elsewhere in the week. Normally workshops/tutorials will have many different times avaliable.

Unfortunately, this is the only time these classes run. There are 3 mandatory workshops that I have to go to for PHYS1001, and that is one of them, and that is the only time available for CON1 for SCIE1000.... Oh well, I'm sure it'll all be fine in the end.

Thank you so much for the response though!! :)
QCE 2020: Physics (92) || Psychology (96) || Biology (93) || Methods (79) || English (98) || SOR (91)

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #260 on: January 04, 2021, 01:00:01 pm »
+2
@K.Smithy

I've been unable to replicate your clashing issue on Allocate. (https://timetable.my.uq.edu.au/even/timetable/#subjects)
Can you double check which version of the units you are selecting?

Also - definitely don't panic about this since;
- if it's necessary for the same major A LOT of people would be impacted which means it's more likely to be or become a non-issue
- timetable preference entry isn't even open yet so there's lots of time to address this

K.Smithy

• QLD MVP - 2019
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #261 on: January 04, 2021, 01:13:48 pm »
+2
I've been unable to replicate your clashing issue on Allocate. (https://timetable.my.uq.edu.au/even/timetable/#subjects)
Can you double check which version of the units you are selecting?

That's interesting! I think they've updated the timetable. Because last night when I was typing in my course codes it would give me an option to do it externally or flexible delivery,  but now they are all internal. A lot of the lecture times have moved around too... ahahah looks like I'm going to have to re-figure out what class times I want

Also - definitely don't panic about this since;
- if it's necessary for the same major A LOT of people would be impacted which means it's more likely to be or become a non-issue
- timetable preference entry isn't even open yet so there's lots of time to address this

Yeah definitely! I've met a bunch of people who are doing the same major as me, so we're all in the same boat. I was talking to them about this clash last night and we're planning on just collaborating and doing study sessions together 'cause none of us have any experience with programming :)

alexandra.vo

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #262 on: January 04, 2021, 07:03:12 pm »
What are some things you can do/study to prepare for a biomedical science course? Thankyou!  :D

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #263 on: January 04, 2021, 07:08:58 pm »
+3
What are some things you can do/study to prepare for a biomedical science course? Thankyou!  :D
I know most people would hate this response but just relax. You will have plenty of time to study during the semester.

If you really need to do something: if you did biology have a look over some of that. Or touch on some biochemistry and physics.