Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:06:35 am

Author Topic: Should I use print/pdf textbooks for psych 3/4?  (Read 2592 times)  Share 

kk.linee

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Should I use print/pdf textbooks for psych 3/4?
« on: December 17, 2018, 09:10:49 pm »
Hey guys,
Was unsure whether I should purchase a print textbook (jacaranda) for psych 3/4 next year or just use pdf? Did you ever annotate your textbook a lot or just wrote notes?

lst1103

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +5
Re: Should I use print/pdf textbooks for psych 3/4?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 09:14:46 pm »
I don't really have an answer to your question, but you can download the entire Jacaranda Psych textbook (2019 publication) on the 'Sample Chapters' page of the website!

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 09:25:27 pm »
Don't think it's super necessary to buy the print textbook. Personally I prefer having an actual book (mostly for reducing the distraction caused by being on my computer), but imo you're not really going to lose anything by only having a pdf. Highlighting/annotating isn't really necessary anyway, you'd probably be better off summarising the main points into your own notes which you can do regardless of whether you're using a book or a pdf.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 07:35:09 am »
It really depends on how you study and process information.

I had the physical textbook which came with a code & used the physical at school but accessed the digital one for home.  (At the start of the year I handwrote notes using the physical one,  but towards the end I typed them using the digital one. )

If I'd picked one only,  in hindsight the digital would've been better - but this also depends on if your teacher will expect you to refer to it during class (& if you have a device capable of displaying it)

Lear

• MOTM: JUL 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 09:34:57 am »
+1
I bought all my textbooks brand new at the start of the year. Didn’t use any except further textbook sometimes as a bound reference. It really depends on what you feel is right for you. Unfortunately I found out I highly prefer online textbooks AFTER I had forked out hundreds for the physical ones!
2018: ATAR: 99.35
Subjects
English: 44
Methods: 43
Further Maths: 50
Chemistry: 46
Legal: 40
2019: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash

Duelmaster22

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2018, 11:22:56 am »
+2
Honestly I think it just depends on preference. It just felt better for me to have an actual physical textbook to work out of, and (somewhat) limited procrastination, compared to the PDF, which was on a screen, and it was so much easier to "glance" at Facebook every now and again. I never really annotated or highlighted anything in the textbook, but then again I didn't for any subject.

That being said, the PDF is a LOT more convenient. You can access it anywhere provided you have a device, you don't have to lug a big book around, and the Ctrl + F function is soooo useful when you want to quickly search specific terms in the whole textbook.

Basically I wouldn't say the physical textbook is necessary, but it just comes down to what you feel would be better suited towards your studying style. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

lleeea

• Trendsetter
  • dont judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2018, 06:47:21 pm »
It mostly depends on preference... if u find that learning via a pdf online textbook is more convenient and easily accessible for u than carrying a heavy textbook around with u everywhere, then use that. its all about what learning style suits u best. i personally for psych used a print hardcopy textbook as i jus couldnt be bothered bringing my laptop to school, then opening it, finding that pdf file, etc. n i advice u, for psych 3 and 4, dont jus use ur textbook solely for notes, use other books and study guides (i.e. a plus atar notes for psych 3 and 4) to guide u when u write ur notes. not everything in the textbook is 100% reliable n accurate n they can often include uneccesary info that u jus dont need to know. so for the most part, i preferred study guide a plus notes over my textbook (b/c it jus had so much unecessary info n these notes just cut that info down into small meaningful manageable chunks, which makes learning more fun, easy and efficient). while i seldom used my textbook for notes, i did use it for questions and some research method practice while i was bored in class or smtn. i jus found questions that were relevant to the study design. anyways, do whats best for u. if learning via a print textbook is more preferable for u than online pdf learning, than dont hesitate to try it out. i got a 40 in psych and i thought it was bcoz i consistently did what i thought suited my learning style n if u do what u feel u prefer to do when it comes to learning, then do that, instead of doing what ur teachers encourage u to do.

EEEEEEP

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • Resource Writer
  • Respect: +543
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2018, 07:01:53 pm »
Hey guys,
Was unsure whether I should purchase a print textbook (jacaranda) for psych 3/4 next year or just use pdf? Did you ever annotate your textbook a lot or just wrote notes?
Yeah .... don’t do it :,)

Binding a textbook is a hassale and the cost of printing can exceed the cost of the textbook.

Printing A4 colour usually costs like 50 - 70 cents per page.

350 pages x 0.5 = 175... (you can easily get the textbook for less than that)

I never annotated the textbook as it was often too much information, I mainly used it as an more in depth tool.

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2018, 07:08:37 pm »
I've always used ebooks/pdfs purely because it's my personal preference. I can't stand carrying heavy textbooks around. One argument against the use of an ebook/PDF is the fact you're on a device which would entice you to go and view something else unrelated to study.

To be honest this is really a personal preference as to what you want. It's all fine and well for everybody to provide their opinion but they aren't you and don't know your preferences, etc. :) For example, if you're likely to become distracted easily, then i'd caution against the use of an ebook. If you're disciplined and would prefer that 'anytime anywhere' access with essentially no carry weight whatsoever, then perhaps an ebook is your best decision. :)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 07:11:24 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile