Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 08:30:00 am

Author Topic: Rankings after half yearlies  (Read 2835 times)

softy

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Rankings after half yearlies
« on: April 10, 2018, 05:58:08 pm »
+1
Currently, I am a year 12 student in a selective school (ranked top 30 in HSC in 2017). So backtrack to the first term of year 12 my marks for nearly every subject were horrible:
English Advanced: 13/15 (rank 20/120)
Biology: 25/48 (rank 69/70)
Chemistry: 19/45 (not sure what rank, but definitely bottom 5)
Business: 46/50 (10/35)
3U Maths: 83% (44/102)
4U Maths: 48% (42/42)

Today I got my half yearly marks back and oh boy...
English: 78% (average was 70%)
Biology: 63% (average was 76%)
Chemistry: 54% (average was 77%)
Business: 87% (average was 76%)
3U: 92% (average was 85%)
4U: 85% (average was 88%)

As you can obviously see, my ranks for nearly all my subjects are going to drop (besides english, 3U and business). My ATAR aim is 97.30 and at this rate, I really don't think I will be able to achieve it. I've entered my marks into the ATAR calculator (after adjusting it slightly) and the ATAR was very much lower than my aim.

If I continue this rate, I will be going into the HSC coming last in possibly 3 of my subjects. When the year started, I personally thought that chemistry would count to my ATAR but it seems like biology is going to (that says a lot considering how horribly I'm doing in it).

I would like an honest opinion on whether it would be possible for me to achieve my ATAR goal, because the course I'm aiming for is one that I really want to do. Would it be more realistic for me to look for a course that requires a much lower ATAR? And is there anyone who was in a similar situation as I am in but managed to achieve an ATAR similar to my goal?

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • \(\mathbb{O}_\mathbb{G}\)
  • Respect: +480
Re: Rankings after half yearlies
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 06:17:38 pm »
+3
Heyya,
If you want an honest opinion, then yes. It's still possible. It may be harder to achieve but remember that you haven't even finished half of the HSC yet. The biggest factor are the HSC exams, so don't spend too long worrying about the 'what ifs', and focus on what you need to do to get on track.  :)

You've still got assessment 3 and the trials which worth a lot more than your half yearlies so don't worry! Just work hard from here and you'll surprise yourself in the end.  ;D

If you're concerned about anything or if you feel stressed, feel free to let me know or one of the mods. I'm sure we're all happy to help where we can!

dcesaona

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 01:47:26 pm »
+1
Hi! I don't know how much help I can be because I'm a year 12 student myself, however, I am in the same boat as you. I have a high atar goal as well (96) to get into law at UTS. I would also need a 90 to get into law at UOW but I'm not certain I want to go to that uni. Either way, I'm aiming quite high. I feel let down by my performance in the half yearlies as well (I honestly don't know what came over me but I was the most unmotivated I have ever been during that period). I know for certain that my ranks are going to drop and they were alright after the first round of assessments - they're going to fall to around the 20s I think.

BUT I know that I have one more task left plus the trials so I have put myself in a better mindset and I'm giving it my ABSOLUTE ALL. I'm absolutely determined now. Because I know deep down that I can achieve it if I try hard. Therefore, I think a big factor that might help you is a positive mindset...I know it's hard but just find a way to reallyyyyy get determined. It will help heaps. Also, if this is any consolidation, you passed all of your exams (many with flying colours) in a selective school - that's a pretty big achievement to me. Plus, from what I can see you actually improved from the first term - just push yourself that bit harder and you're on your way!  ;)

You're not alone in being disappointed, don't worry, some of my friends are too - but there are few that will take their marks as learning curves and use them as motivation instead.

2018 HSC

dcesaona

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 01:50:25 pm »
Btw, what course/uni are you wanting to get into?  :)
2018 HSC

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 02:05:54 pm »
+3
Hey there,
Just like all mods are saying, your half yearly marks don't matter as much. To be honest, this is something I've been trying to get in terms with because I basically break down after all my exams from a mix of pre and post-exam stress.

My math coordinator basically reminded me that there is still 60% of your assessments that you haven't completed yet. Even then, trials don't contribute as much. I remember Jake, a HSC lecturer, saying that he didn't even do a whole page in his 3U math paper in his trials and he still got a 99+ ATAR.

Think about it this way: even though your marks look bleak right now, the difficulty of your paper will differ to the difficulty of my exams or the difficulty in other schools. You teacher could've made your exam really easy and help everyone get 90%. Or they could've made it hard so you're used to the difficulty when you get to the HSC. The things that matter are your ranks and your HSC. As hard as it is, it's better to get roasted now than during the HSC because your HSC is what counts.

And another point, ATAR calculators are never reliable. They're only using the previous years' results and compare it to your marks. There are too many variables that make this an unfair test; the 2016 paper might be harder than the 2018 paper, there may be more people doing better in the previous years than the 2018 cohort- there are so many differences to the point that putting your marks in an ATAR calculator is purely useless. Plus, it's really bad for your self-esteem. I had to force myself to stop putting my marks in the ATAR calculator because it's never an indication of your actual ATAR.

And remember, a handful of us are on the same boat as you!
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

softy

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 02:19:44 pm »
You've still got assessment 3 and the trials which worth a lot more than your half yearlies so don't worry! Just work hard from here and you'll surprise yourself in the end.  ;D

I also want to believe that task 3 is going to help pull my rank up but for chemistry and biology (the two subjects I need the most help in right now), instead of it being a test, it's a practical test which I absolutely can't do. Every single prac test I panic and crumble under pressure, in addition to getting faulty equipment because the person before me doesn't bother cleaning stuff properly. I wouldn't have minded if the task only had a small weighting but its 30%, which is more than the weighting of task 1 and task 2 combined. But thank you hopefully I do surprise myself (although the chance is very low)!

Btw, what course/uni are you wanting to get into?  :)

The course I want it to get into is Bachelor of Actuarial Studies/Bachelor of Commerce at UNSW.

I feel let down by my performance in the half yearlies as well (I honestly don't know what came over me but I was the most unmotivated I have ever been during that period). I know for certain that my ranks are going to drop and they were alright after the first round of assessments - they're going to fall to around the 20s I think.

Also, if this is any consolidation, you passed all of your exams (many with flying colours) in a selective school - that's a pretty big achievement to me. Plus, from what I can see you actually improved from the first term - just push yourself that bit harder and you're on your way!  ;)

Would you mind if I ask how you went in your half yearlies? You don't have to tell if you don't want to. I wish I was ranked in the 20s.  :'(
Yeah that's true but it's just disappointing because I was in the top 50% for all my subjects last year (and top 5 for business and chemistry). But thanks!

And another point, ATAR calculators are never reliable. They're only using the previous years' results and compare it to your marks. There are too many variables that make this an unfair test; the 2016 paper might be harder than the 2018 paper, there may be more people doing better in the previous years than the 2018 cohort- there are so many differences to the point that putting your marks in an ATAR calculator is purely useless. Plus, it's really bad for your self-esteem. I had to force myself to stop putting my marks in the ATAR calculator because it's never an indication of your actual ATAR.

Yea my teachers have told me that but it's just tempting to see what ATAR I would have gotten if my half yearly marks were my final marks and it really does distract me but I can't stop. A lot of students in the cohort above me got into the course I want to get into so I just wanted to see what marks I would've needed, if I was in their cohort, to get into the course. It's bad for me but it's addicting. But regardless, thank you for motivating me.