Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:50:02 pm

Author Topic: Rural Application into Medicine  (Read 1137 times)

Scoopity_Poop

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Rural Application into Medicine
« on: October 15, 2019, 08:03:26 pm »
Hey everyone,

I am within the 88th percentile for the UCAT, and I am expecting an ATAR above 99 after my Year 12 exams. I was wondering what the requirements are like for a rural student like me in Tasmania, and the chances of getting into an undergraduate medicine course on the mainland. I have applied to nearly all medical universities, except for those in Western Australia (if there are any?).

Thanks for the help!

Lear

• MOTM: JUL 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +328
Re: Rural Application into Medicine
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 08:06:05 pm »
Hey everyone,

I am within the 88th percentile for the UCAT, and I am expecting an ATAR above 99 after my Year 12 exams. I was wondering what the requirements are like for a rural student like me in Tasmania, and the chances of getting into an undergraduate medicine course on the mainland. I have applied to nearly all medical universities, except for those in Western Australia (if there are any?).

Thanks for the help!

Can only speak for Monash, but interstate spots are ridiculously competitive often with 99.80+ with excellent UMAT scores being denied. You may have a chance due to your rural background. Did you apply for Dean's rural list (DRL)?
2018: ATAR: 99.35
Subjects
English: 44
Methods: 43
Further Maths: 50
Chemistry: 46
Legal: 40
2019: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash

Scoopity_Poop

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Rural Application into Medicine
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 06:07:11 pm »
I applied for SEAS, but it says on the Monash website that the Dean's Rural List will be created after the initial applications, as further documentation will need to be provided if Monash deems you to be rural or not. So they basically do it for you.