Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:16:41 pm

Author Topic: Online Learning  (Read 3039 times)

s110820

• MOTM: April 20
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • you'll be everything to the right someone
  • Respect: +151
Online Learning
« on: March 20, 2020, 01:49:07 pm »
+1
Hi :)

I was just wondering if you guys had any strategies I could use while my school goes into the online learning mode? Should I use any specific methods/websites, and if so can you list them for me please?

Thank you :)
QUT 2021 - Bachelor of Education (Primary).

JerryMouse2019

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • I love Spider-Man :)
  • Respect: +113
Re: Online Learning
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2020, 08:30:41 pm »
+2
Hi s110820,

What subjects are you studying specifically?

If you tell me your subjects I might be able to help you more.

One website that I'd recommend is:

https://www.khanacademy.org/

While the videos and resources on this website are primarily made for an American education system they are free and they do follow many of the same concepts that we learn here in Australia.

YouTube videos are also another great option that you might want to consider.

Good luck with studying at home,

Kind Regards
JerryMouse2019

QCE Class of 2021: English | General Maths | Business | Economics | Legal Studies | Digital Solutions

“Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy” – Dale Carnegie

s110820

• QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2020, 07:48:22 am »
+1
Hi JerryMouse!

Thank you so much for your reply :)

I am in Year 12 at the moment and I am studying:

General Maths, English, Biology, Literature and Modern History.

Thank you :)

JerryMouse2019

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2020, 01:19:28 pm »
+1
Hey s110820,

Thanks for replying.

For your subjects I would recommend the following online resources:

English/Literature - There really aren't any specific resources for English/Literature according to my knowledge (unless if you count ATAR Notes). You can probably use the free version of Grammarly (if you want to edit any essays with a good grammar checker) (it's better than the grammar checker in Microsoft Word). You can find some scriptures for free on this website: https://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page

General Maths - I would recommend checking out Eddie Woo's maths videos. He's become famous recently across the country (and the world) for his really helpful maths videos. You can check him out here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq0EGvLTyy-LLT1oUSO_0FQ

Biology - Like I said before there is Khan Academy: https://www.khanacademy.org/science/biology
There is also https://www.britannica.com/ (this is an online encyclopedia that is mostly free to use).
Also remember that YouTube videos that have a lot of views tend to offer better explanations for the content you're studying (so view those videos).

Modern History - Really any websites that you can search up on Google. Wikipedia is good, however I would recommend looking at the sources that have been used for the information you look at on Wikipedia. Just so that you are reading accurate information.

Good luck with studying,

Kind Regards
JerryMouse2019

QCE Class of 2021: English | General Maths | Business | Economics | Legal Studies | Digital Solutions

“Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy” – Dale Carnegie

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2020, 02:04:47 pm »
+1
Thanks JerryMouse for stepping in with some great suggestions!

Something to be aware of is that when using resources not made for QCE it's very important that you are aware of what is and isn't in your syllabuses otherwise you'll spend a lot of time learning things you don't need to know. For example, KhanAcademy biology will both often cover topics you don't need to know and explain them in a way you don't need for QCE. That's not to say that using it is a bad idea, just make sure you are conscious of that and don't panic yourself trying to remember and understand things you don't need to.

Bio in particular is a tough one because Unit 3 QCE bio is quite different to bio in a lot of other high school curriculums so it will be more difficult to find resources for it. When searching for resources, you'll probably have more a lot more luck searching up individual topics rather than doing a generic "biology" search.

There's not a big QCE modern history community on AN but you might have some luck looking on the HSC and VCE sides for resources there. The same advice applies about making sure you know what is and isn't in the syllabus.

Math tends to be fairly easy to find resources for - this will probably be the easiest subject in terms of this.

Hope this helps :)

JerryMouse2019

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2020, 04:03:52 pm »
+1
I just remembered another great YouTube channel that might help you out a lot with Modern History.

Check it out here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/crashcourse

JerryMouse2019

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2020, 05:53:16 pm »
+1
Hey everyone,

Here are some resources that I found on the Education Queensland website that have been posted specifically for senior students that are studying from home:

https://education.qld.gov.au/curriculum/learning-at-home/senior-schooling

Kind Regards
JerryMouse2019

s110820

• QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2020, 07:42:32 pm »
+1
Thank you so much @JerryMouse2019 for your help. I really appreciated it :)

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2020, 03:26:06 pm »
+2
Hey,

On the premier's facebook page it says everyone (except children of essential workers and vulnerable children) will be learning remotely and that this will be in place until at least the 22nd of May so it's probably a good time for this to be bumped.

I'm linking in a couple of threads elsewhere where people are talking about this to help you get a wider range of ideas:
> COVID-19 and education
> Online learning strategies

If anyone has further ideas - however large or small - please feel free to reply!

K.Smithy

• QLD MVP - 2019
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • "We are the cosmos made conscious." B.C. (she/her)
  • Respect: +396
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2020, 07:14:11 pm »
+3
Hi everyone!

Just wondering how everyone's schools are handling the online learning? I know in Victoria many people are doing class video calls, but I'm unsure about NSW.
My school isn't doing any video calls and instead the teachers are just putting links to youtube videos and worksheets on our class OneNotes.
How are other schools handling it?

Also... if anyone is studying methods (unit 1 through to 4) I would highly recommend checking out these videos:
Unit 1 Maths Methods: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTpqA3TAW12UdExSeWGHyfAY4nj0YimRA
Unit 2 Maths Methods: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTpqA3TAW12VIDxq1hgKHlIPstJ66sk_D
Unit 3 Maths Methods: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTpqA3TAW12UOeRN2GDMdDbA7cPES4pNK
Unit 4 Maths Methods: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTpqA3TAW12W6xrS9HKwS9xw-NP-UYANv

Hope everyone has had a good Easter break! :)
QCE 2020: Physics (92) || Psychology (96) || Biology (93) || Methods (79) || English (98) || SOR (91)
ATAR: 98.40
2021-2024: Bachelor of Advanced Science (Honours) @ UQ

Uni Journal ; U3 Bio ; U3 Psych ; U3 Physics

s110820

• QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2020, 07:14:22 pm »
+2
For my school, it depends on what grade you are in. So for example, the younger years (year 7-9) are being sent worksheets and activities via email and OneNote. But for the senior years (year 10-12), teachers are arranging at least 2-3 Zoom sessions a week per subject as my school is one of those schools that believe in strong academic performance through rain, hail, shine and of course, a pandemic. How are you finding online school K.Smithy?

K.Smithy

• QLD MVP - 2019
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2020, 07:30:44 pm »
+2
For my school, it depends on what grade you are in. So for example, the younger years (year 7-9) are being sent worksheets and activities via email and OneNote. But for the senior years (year 10-12), teachers are arranging at least 2-3 Zoom sessions a week per subject as my school is one of those schools that believe in strong academic performance through rain, hail, shine and of course, a pandemic. How are you finding online school K.Smithy?

Oh thats interesting. My school has told students in the younger years to only do English and Mathematics over the next few weeks. So rather than them worrying about 8 subjects, they are less stressed. Grade 10s at my school are focusing on English, Maths and Science, whereas 11s and 12s work on all of their subjects (would be sucky if we were told only to do English and maths ;D).
You are very fortunate to have zoom meetings. I spent a lot of time this morning checking up on friends and seeing how they are coping with it all (even though its the first day) - but i found we are all just as stuck as each other. Some of my teachers are just amazing and have made very comprehensive guides regarding what content we should cover each week so we kind of have a structure to follow. Most of my teachers have given us so so so many resources, which I am so grateful for. My maths class however, have blank OneNote pages or some pages with one link to a 6 minute long youtube video... So that is quite sucky. But all in all today went quite well. As much as I would love to have zoom meetings or something of the like, the one good thing about not having meetings is that what I do with all of my time is completely up to me. I have decided that on Monday, Wednesday and Fridays I will study Methods, Bio, Psych and Physics (for an hour an a half each - adds up to 6 hours), and on Tuesday and Thursdays I will work on English and Religion (again, for an hour and a half each - adds up to 3 hours.) I will also dedicate my afternoons on Tuesday and Thursdays, as well as my weekends, to finalising my unit 3 notes.

How did you go today with everything not working? Or was your school fine? Literally no one at my school to access emails, onenote, teams, the school portal, etc. So it was a lot of guess work and textbook reading for us today ;D
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 07:32:40 pm by K.Smithy »
QCE 2020: Physics (92) || Psychology (96) || Biology (93) || Methods (79) || English (98) || SOR (91)

JerryMouse2019

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2020, 07:46:09 pm »
+2

For my school, people in years 7-10 have to do 30 mins of work for each subject for 3 lessons every week. Whereas years 11-12 have to do 40-45 mins of work for each subject for 3 lessons every week. For me specifically, I'm only having 2 video conference calls every week (for two of my subjects). Not all teachers are using video conferencing for teaching in my school. We have group discussion boards so that we can jointly discuss in groups our subject concepts. We are also using Microsoft OneNote for submitting work to our teachers. However, currently OneNote isn't working due to high user demand.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 07:51:37 pm by JerryMouse2019 »

K.Smithy

• QLD MVP - 2019
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2020, 11:02:34 pm »
+4
Hello wonderful people of ATAR Notes! :)

QCAA have released some "factsheets" for students studying the sciences. You can find documents on tackling the next assessment items, effective study techniques and how to prepare for the external assessment!

Hope its helpful (and I hope everyone is doing well with the online learning)! :)

s110820

• QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2020, 11:22:36 am »
+1
Hi K.Smithy,

Sorry, it took so long to reply to your response - I was busy with online school and giving feedback to many ATAR Notes users, but I just wanted to say thank you so much for providing us with those resources! Especially since the QCAA website is so confusing to navigate. How has your experience with online schooling been for you? Is there anything that is challenging or easy for you? And if so, how would you "change" the system of online schooling to fit your individual needs?

Have a great week :)

Darcy Dillon.