Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 23, 2024, 11:40:07 pm

Author Topic: Classical Conditioning  (Read 547 times)  Share 

zvezda

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +1
Classical Conditioning
« on: July 22, 2012, 07:20:20 pm »
All right, so initially with classical conditioning, I thought that the NS was associated with the UCS to become the CS. However, after reading about Garcia and Koelling's rat study in the Oxford text book, I have become confused.
In that section of the Oxford book, it says that "the condition 1 rats who had received the painful electric shock each time they drank the sweet water during the conditioning phase had associated the pain with the flashing light and clicking noise". The pain (UCR) is in response to the electric shock (UCS). So according to this sentence, the NS (flashing light and clicking noise) was associated with the UCR (pain due to electric shock).
I then decided to flick through Grivas to see what it said, and I found this: "...classical conditioning provides a useful explanation for learned behaviour in which an originally neutral stimulus becomes associated with a reflexive or involuntary response..." <--- that is opposite to what Oxford has written: "an association is made between the neutral stimulus and the unconditioned stimulus".

Help would be appreciated. Thanks
ATAR: 99.80

Scooby

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +28
Re: Classical Conditioning
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 07:42:05 pm »
The neutral stimulus is definitely associated with the unconditioned stimulus, as Oxford says. I think what Grivas was trying to say is that after conditioning, the originally neutral stimulus will produce this reflexive or involuntary response

I don't know what Oxford was trying to say in the first example though....  ??? The neutral stimulus definitely isn't associated with the unconditioned response. And instead of being the unconditioned response, I think maybe the pain due to the electric shock should be the unconditioned stimulus, and reflexive withdrawal due to this pain the unconditioned response
2012-2013: VCE - Biology [50]
2015-2017: Bachelor of Science (Pharmacology & Physiology) @ Monash
2018-2021: Doctor of Medicine @ Melbourne

Tutoring Biology in 2019. Send me a PM if you're interested! :)

zvezda

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +1
Re: Classical Conditioning
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 08:20:50 pm »
Yeah I was thinking that. Have you read the section on one-trial learning in the Oxford book?

The experiment that Oxford was writing about involved rats learning to avoid drinking sweet flavoured and plain water. As far as I know, aversion is a voluntary response, and classical conditioning/one-trial learning involves responses which, as you have mentioned, are reflexive. 

So at the moment I'm thinking its a mistake but I guess I'm going to have to see with the teacher
ATAR: 99.80