Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:28:40 am

Author Topic: What are you reading at the moment?  (Read 61483 times)

Tatlidil

• Forum Regular
  • Math is Life
  • Respect: +1
Re: What are you reading at the moment?
« Reply #120 on: January 16, 2019, 10:55:48 pm »
Everyone says read books, lots of books, and i just want to know.
What is the difference between if i read (lets say) 1000 Fictional books and if i read 1000 non-fictional books?

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
« Reply #121 on: January 16, 2019, 11:05:11 pm »
+6
Everyone says read books, lots of books, and i just want to know.
What is the difference between if i read (lets say) 1000 Fictional books and if i read 1000 non-fictional books?

Ideally you'd probably learn more from the world with non-fiction books. Fiction books might allow you to develop a better writing style or even further develop a sense of empathy

Read whatever you enjoy best, however, not for ideal benefits. I read both non-fiction and fiction -- just whatever catches my eye at the time
🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢

Tatlidil

• Forum Regular
  • Math is Life
« Reply #122 on: January 16, 2019, 11:13:24 pm »
Ideally you'd probably learn more from the world with non-fiction books. Fiction books might allow you to develop a better writing style or even further develop a sense of empathy

Read whatever you enjoy best, however, not for ideal benefits. I read both non-fiction and fiction -- just whatever catches my eye at the time
So i if i read non-fictional books, would that make me smarter? In the sense of being more logical/political?

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #123 on: January 16, 2019, 11:19:42 pm »
+8
So i if i read non-fictional books, would that make me smarter? In the sense of being more logical/political?

Reading should really be about interest and/or enjoyment. Forcing yourself to read a particular type of book purely based on the idea that it would make you "smarter" will kill any genuine interest you have. I reiterate Caleb's post:

Personally speaking - I lost a love of reading mid way through high school... I believe being forced to read novels that I had no interest in contributed to this as it was considered a chore rather than something worth doing. I don't think i've picked up a book and read since I had to in high school... which is a shame but my sad reality.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 11:23:29 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
« Reply #124 on: January 16, 2019, 11:29:55 pm »
+6

Definitely agree with Aaron's response to this.

If you want to be more learned on a topic (note: learned, not smarter), reading is a good way to go about it. But it'll only get you so far. Talk to others on the topic -- books usually only hold a single viewpoint, being that of the author. If you want to become more political/logical, as you put it, talk to others on the topic. Exchanging ideas and viewpoints can allow you to further enchance your view by finding the weakpoints of your own view or the strong points of another.

Again though, unless your reading is for study or work, reading should be pleasurable. Read what you enjoy and you'll benefit :)
🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢

sw3glord

• Adventurer
  • internet megastar
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #125 on: January 16, 2019, 11:58:27 pm »
+4
I just finished reading The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho, and it’s definitely one of the best books I’ve read so far. I actually had the idea to read this through a recommendation on the Good Books Thread on here, and it’s the first book I’ve ever finished in just one day. I loved Coelho’s style of writing, the book was easy to understand and the pacing was good, and even though this book is fairly short (around 180 pages) it’s filled with life lessons that the main character learns and important themes to pick up on.

Coffee

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +322
« Reply #126 on: January 17, 2019, 06:50:40 am »
+1
The plot is a bit slow, but I'm really not liking Estella's character at the moment. I'm hoping she gets redeemed further in the novel. Apart from that, I just feel bad for Pip (the fact that he's an orphan, the way he's treated by his sister and Estella).

But yeah, I'm hoping to finish it soon (from what I know about Dickens, he really likes to comment on social class).
I found it slow too.

If you're at all interested, I'd recommend watching 'Dickens vs Tolstoy: The Battle of the Great Nineteenth-century Novelists'. It's on YouTube (by iqsquared). They act out some passages from Great Expectations and it really brought the characters to life for me! ;D

Tatlidil

• Forum Regular
  • Math is Life
« Reply #127 on: January 17, 2019, 09:46:25 am »
Reading should really be about interest and/or enjoyment. Forcing yourself to read a particular type of book purely based on the idea that it would make you "smarter" will kill any genuine interest you have. I reiterate Caleb's post:
Personally speaking - I lost a love of reading mid way through high school... I believe being forced to read novels that I had no interest in contributed to this as it was considered a chore rather than something worth doing. I don't think i've picked up a book and read since I had to in high school... which is a shame but my sad reality.
Definitely agree with Aaron's response to this.

If you want to be more learned on a topic (note: learned, not smarter), reading is a good way to go about it. But it'll only get you so far. Talk to others on the topic -- books usually only hold a single viewpoint, being that of the author. If you want to become more political/logical, as you put it, talk to others on the topic. Exchanging ideas and viewpoints can allow you to further enchance your view by finding the weakpoints of your own view or the strong points of another.

Again though, unless your reading is for study or work, reading should be pleasurable. Read what you enjoy and you'll benefit :)
understood, thanks guys!

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #128 on: January 18, 2019, 09:45:04 am »
+3
Currently half-way through 'Breakfast at Tiffany's' by Truman Capote!
Next on my to-read is 'Circe' (by Madeline Miller), 'The Upside of Unrequited' by Becky Albertalli, followed by "The Girl Who Fell" by Violet Grace! ^-^
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
  • Respect: +2790
« Reply #129 on: February 04, 2019, 04:07:58 pm »
+3
Currently reading Oathbringer Part 1 by Brandon Sanderson as part of the 'Way of Kings' epic fantasy series! I bought the book as part of my Sanderson collection and I am loving the wild imagination that goes into all of Sanderson's works and worlds ❤️
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #130 on: February 04, 2019, 04:13:20 pm »
+4
Currently reading: Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Next two reads: Warcross and The Thirty-Nine Steps (the latter adding to my collection of orange-covered Penguins!)

2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

Coffee

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +322
« Reply #131 on: February 04, 2019, 04:23:07 pm »
+2
Currently reading: Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Next two reads: Warcross and The Thirty-Nine Steps (the latter adding to my collection of orange-covered Penguins!)

(Image removed from quote.)
I loved Eleanor! Hope you enjoy it :)

lanbell54488

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #132 on: March 02, 2019, 03:05:57 pm »
+1
I am reading brawling go manga at this moment and This is my favourite manga.

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #133 on: March 02, 2019, 03:11:28 pm »
+3
I'm reading The Tragedy of Liberation by Frank Dikötter. It discusses Mao's rise in China and talks about the early years of his regime. It's the first of a three part series that analyse the key events in Mao's China.

I am reading brawling go manga at this moment and This is my favourite manga.

Welcome to AN!
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #134 on: March 02, 2019, 04:36:56 pm »
+2
Life as an English tutor means reading prescribed texts all over again. Almost finished with Hag Seed and then moving on to Mrs Dalloway. Atwood really is a fantastic writer though so I'm loving it :)
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music