Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:21:24 am

Author Topic: Communal VCE Journey Journal (feel free to participate!)  (Read 182243 times)

peter.g15

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +29
Re: Communal VCE Journey Journal (feel free to participate!)
« Reply #405 on: March 23, 2018, 10:47:06 pm »
+7
Hi all,
Sorry if i'm not meant to bump this thread since it's been 4 ish months since the last post, but oh well :|. I guess I'll start of 2018's journal at the end of term 1.

This term was pretty quiet with just two 'proper' full length sacs and then some small chem AOS3 tasks, so term one has been pretty slow and similar to last year. It's been good so far, but I realised that it just makes term 2 and 3 even busier. I just got my englang sac back today and was honestly disappointed in the result and was expecting and wanting a bit higher. I got 83% which luckily turns out to be 17/20 vcaa marks. I was expecting a 90% or around there coming out of the sac and felt pretty confident about my answers (short answer questions), but then the results got released today and didn't go how i expected.

Honestly have mixed feelings about the result since it was only 20% of my unit 3 mark (which only counts 25% for SS), and because I know that one sac won't ruin your study score (same thing happened with psych and look what happened). I think it's just not the start to the year that i wanted. Hopefully the next sac i get back (bio) is better, fingers crossed.

I'll probably try out doing a journal here and then deciding whether or not to start my own thread, we'll see!
2019 - 23: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash University

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #406 on: April 24, 2018, 09:38:42 am »
Hi all,
Sorry if i'm not meant to bump this thread since it's been 4 ish months since the last post, but oh well :|. I guess I'll start of 2018's journal at the end of term 1.

This term was pretty quiet with just two 'proper' full length sacs and then some small chem AOS3 tasks, so term one has been pretty slow and similar to last year. It's been good so far, but I realised that it just makes term 2 and 3 even busier. I just got my englang sac back today and was honestly disappointed in the result and was expecting and wanting a bit higher. I got 83% which luckily turns out to be 17/20 vcaa marks. I was expecting a 90% or around there coming out of the sac and felt pretty confident about my answers (short answer questions), but then the results got released today and didn't go how i expected.

Honestly have mixed feelings about the result since it was only 20% of my unit 3 mark (which only counts 25% for SS), and because I know that one sac won't ruin your study score (same thing happened with psych and look what happened). I think it's just not the start to the year that i wanted. Hopefully the next sac i get back (bio) is better, fingers crossed.

I'll probably try out doing a journal here and then deciding whether or not to start my own thread, we'll see!

Nah, all good! I think people just started making their own threads, but this thread is always open to anybody who's looking to contribute but doesn't fancy their own thread. :)

On the EngLang SAC mark, sorry to hear you were disappointed. You might know already, but raw scores aren't that meaningful - so like, the ultimate difference between getting 83% and 90% is probably very slim if impactful at all.

OK so I have never posted on here before but I read the forums like ALL the time. I’m in year 12 at the moment and am LOVING it. The work load (yes this is weird 😑) and the social.

But I’m worried about after year 12... I’m kind of not looking forward to university and am feeling like I won’t know what to do with myself after all this is over. Maybe it’s just a bit of phase and I’ll get my self out of it soon. I don’t know 😬

Great first post - glad to have you here. :) I remember my first post after a while of lurking haha. Look forward to seeing you around!

I think it's pretty natural to feel how you are re: uni and the like. I certainly was feeling similarly at about the same time. What sort of courses are you interested in? :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #407 on: April 24, 2018, 12:07:55 pm »
+1
But I’m worried about after year 12... I’m kind of not looking forward to university and am feeling like I won’t know what to do with myself after all this is over. Maybe it’s just a bit of phase and I’ll get my self out of it soon. I don’t know 😬
This is kind of how I felt. It took me a while to know where I was headed (and now I'm in Honours, so... that went well.), but you'll get there. :) Have a look at yourself and what you enjoy most. Talk to friends who have known you for years, your parents, sibling(s) if you have any or other people close to you. They'll probably have good recommendations for you (besides a few biases). If not, you have the AN community and we're here to help!
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
« Reply #408 on: September 01, 2020, 05:13:59 pm »
+4
Sad this's fallen by the wayside. Let's see, if I post, will it revive.
Got a SAC tomorrow, English comparative, have done a ton of work for it, but since I'm aiming for 90%+, where my highest mark so far has been 87% unless you count creative, I don't think I'll get it; if I get a certain question (we got 7 q's out of which teacher will choose 2) I've got a decent plan for it and would be happy. 1/7 chance.... I'm ranked either 1 or 2, and I want to pull into a clear #1. We'll see how that goes. So. Probably ages before the results come back, though. *sighs*
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +132
« Reply #409 on: September 02, 2020, 01:34:54 pm »
+3
Sad this's fallen by the wayside. Let's see, if I post, will it revive.
Got a SAC tomorrow, English comparative, have done a ton of work for it, but since I'm aiming for 90%+, where my highest mark so far has been 87% unless you count creative, I don't think I'll get it; if I get a certain question (we got 7 q's out of which teacher will choose 2) I've got a decent plan for it and would be happy. 1/7 chance.... I'm ranked either 1 or 2, and I want to pull into a clear #1. We'll see how that goes. So. Probably ages before the results come back, though. *sighs*

Good luck Cat in the Hat! You will do amazing!
My avatar sums up life.
“I’m free to be the greatest one alive” ~ Sia
╔══════════════════════════════╗
2020: English | Methods | Biology | Chemistry |              Psychology | ATAR: 0
╚══════════════════════════════╝

The Cat In The Hat

• Forum Leader
« Reply #410 on: September 02, 2020, 02:12:55 pm »
+5
The question I wanted didn't come up. However, one I had a half-decent plan for did, so that was ok.
My feelings through the SAC-
Intro: this is ok.
1st Body Paragraph: I think I'll get that 90%+!
2nd Body Paragraph: I... might?... get that 90%+? At least an A, anyhow (49-60/60)
3rd Body Paragraph: this is repetitive. I hope the marker doesn't read this...

so we'll see how it goes - we take ages to get the English SACs back. But it's done. I tried out the more integrated method for almost the first time, and had heids' advice ringing through my head - concepts, big ideas, why did the author use this, etc. - all throughout the SAC. Hopefully it helped. Certainly, parts of the first paragraph I felt were my best work on comparative yet. So... we'll see.

If expectations go anywhere, I should be able to measure up reasonably to the people who I'm mainly aiming to top...
VCE 20
ATAR 85
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

she/her

homeworkisapotato

• MOTM: Aug 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #411 on: September 02, 2020, 06:43:47 pm »
+1
Great job! I'm sure it'll meet your expectations!
2020: Biology [43]
2021: Methods, Chemistry, HHD, English, Further
Selective School Entry Tips

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
« Reply #412 on: September 02, 2020, 09:16:23 pm »
Do any other year 12s feel like they should just give up because they will never be good enough no matter how hard they try? I’m so upset that I probably won’t get a 40 in English. It’s 2 weeks until my comparative SAC and the chances I’ll get another flat 80% are just too high. :-[ I wish I could just drop out because it hurts just doing this to fail. It’s tragic. I just wanted to be good at something. How does one deal with such feelings of deflation and utter uselessness.
My avatar sums up life.
2020: English | Methods | Biology | Chemistry |              Psychology | ATAR: 0

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
« Reply #413 on: September 02, 2020, 10:05:15 pm »
+3
Do any other year 12s feel like they should just give up because they will never be good enough no matter how hard they try? I’m so upset that I probably won’t get a 40 in English. It’s 2 weeks until my comparative SAC and the chances I’ll get another flat 80% are just too high. :-[ I wish I could just drop out because it hurts just doing this to fail. It’s tragic. I just wanted to be good at something. How does one deal with such feelings of deflation and utter uselessness.
Yes, this is common - you're not alone. I've found that the best way to get out of the ongoing cycle of negativity we often find ourselves in is to take a break and reset my mind. Spend a day doing what you enjoy. Close your books, then revisit your goals again and you'll hopefully come back with a much more positive mindset. Definitely not saying this will work for everyone, but it's worth a try! 2 weeks is quite a long time - focus on your weaknesses and get feedback to improve your writing. 80% is far from a bad score, so don't chide yourself for 'failing', however, it's ok to feel unhappy if you don't meet your expectations. I hope you can pick yourself back up again!
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
« Reply #414 on: September 02, 2020, 10:11:48 pm »
+1
Yes, this is common - you're not alone. I've found that the best way to get out of the ongoing cycle of negativity we often find ourselves in is to take a break and reset my mind. Spend a day doing what you enjoy. Close your books, then revisit your goals again and you'll hopefully come back with a much more positive mindset. Definitely not saying this will work for everyone, but it's worth a try! 2 weeks is quite a long time - focus on your weaknesses and get feedback to improve your writing. 80% is far from a bad score, so don't chide yourself for 'failing', however, it's ok to feel unhappy if you don't meet your expectations. I hope you can pick yourself back up again!

Thank you for the advice whys I appreciate it! I wish I could take a day to chill but I think I took a few too many of those last week.....and now have 3 SACs next week! So my student free day will be (sadly) spent studying but I’ll be sure pretend it’s a school day and do nothing after 3pm to unwind before the weekend :)
My avatar sums up life.

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
« Reply #415 on: September 04, 2020, 02:06:59 pm »
+3
How is everyone travelling?
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
« Reply #416 on: September 06, 2020, 09:56:09 am »
How is everyone travelling?

Stressed....I have 4 SACs before the big comparative English SAC which will make or break my study score- tradegy.......has anyone who’s already done it just feel the relief fly off them?
My avatar sums up life.

The Cat In The Hat

• Forum Leader
« Reply #417 on: September 06, 2020, 02:43:44 pm »
+1
Stressed....I have 4 SACs before the big comparative English SAC which will make or break my study score- tradegy.......has anyone who’s already done it just feel the relief fly off them?
Relief will only exist in finding out the result to be what I wanted :P
It won't make or break your SS, though. That's the exams :)
VCE 20
ATAR 85
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

she/her

The Cat In The Hat

• Forum Leader
« Reply #418 on: September 08, 2020, 01:36:56 pm »
+1
I just realised, the course I want to get in has an unadjusted ATAR median of 90.55 (at the only campus I'm willing to go to).

Almost feel like throwing in the towel right now, and admitting I'll not get in. I'm confident of coping with the work if I get in, but there's very little chance, in my estimation, of getting in.

Sorry for the very-mini-rant. I only just found that table of figures.
VCE 20
ATAR 85
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

she/her

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
« Reply #419 on: September 08, 2020, 05:46:28 pm »
+1
I just realised, the course I want to get in has an unadjusted ATAR median of 90.55 (at the only campus I'm willing to go to).

Almost feel like throwing in the towel right now, and admitting I'll not get in. I'm confident of coping with the work if I get in, but there's very little chance, in my estimation, of getting in.

Sorry for the very-mini-rant. I only just found that table of figures.

Have you checked to see if they have subject bonuses i.e extra 2 aggregate points for 35+ in English? I was looking at courses at Monash and Deakin and some had them? Also nursing at Geelong is much lower like 88 and at warambool or where ever it’s even lower. I know warambool is in the middle of nowhere and way too far away but have you looked into Geelong maybe? Just in case.
My avatar sums up life.